Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone wants to know of a good, lightweight, and long-lasting survival food, look no further than a can of sardines. Most people do not like them, but if you're hungry, and don't mind the taste of fish, they can actually be quite good. They are also VERY sustaining, especially since they have lots of protein in them. Please, give some tips on this and maybe of some other good survival foods!:)

P.S.: Pouches of Tuna may also be included in a survival pack, since it is also a lightweight, sustaining food with a long shelf life.

·
It's a Jeep Thing
211 Posts
I'm a big fan of sardines, really like the ones packed in either oil or mustard.

I don't carry any in my GHB but I do have a few of the pre-packaged tuna and also salmon. They are very light (around 3oz each I think) and well packaged.

Just not a big fan of carrying the extra weight of the cans.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
There's a tin in my BOB,Full of Amega3.I like sardines but if i didn't id still eat them,When you are really hungry things you don't like start to look and taste good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sardines are great, I prefer the ones in tomato sauce. Although they are heavy, I keep a few tins of them and Tuna, in the BOB. But, as was stated, I find I need a decent amount of water with them.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Ooooh, tomato sauce sardines, those are good!
Sardines are great, I also have some small single serve tins with a selection of tuna in the pantry, in the flavors: spring water, olive oil, chilli and my favorite lemon pepper.

I take one when I'm riding my bike a long way, stop when I;m tired, have the tuna with some crackers I packed and a muesli bar.
I will perk right up after that, raring to go again.

And they are very sustaining, while I will be able to keep going, my mate who drank the energy drink and ate a chocolate bar will be flagging.

·
Registered
491 Posts
When I was a child my uncle would take me fishing and we always packed sardines , vienna sausages , saltine crackers for lunch. I always keep several cans in the pantry.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
The ones in oil have a longer shelf life than the ones on water or brine. As with all fish products, thoroughly check the contents for contamination before consumption.
This type of food poisoning can be lethal.

·
Respecter of Persons
162 Posts
Sardines? Wait, aren't we all going to McDonalds when the SHTF?

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Reactions: AncientBrit

·
Wild Wild... East
3,014 Posts
A good part of mine food supplies are sardines and tuna, different recipes. Chili, tomato sauce, water, oil.
And that be cause i eat regularly them, and have a long shelf life.

Bogdan

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Along this line of thought goes smoked oysters in a can.
Lot's of fat and protein.
Kippered herring in a can.
Deviled ham.
Vienna sausage.
Then there is roasted eel.........errrrr I ain't going to eat it, I just thought I'd throw it out there for those with more exotic tastes.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
O.K. I would like you to think about sprouts. They are easy to start. You can do it in the dark. Sprouts are high in nutrients. A few seeds can go a long way. You can eat them cooked or raw. They require very little equipment. They are used in breakfast, lunch or dinners. Most people like sprouts. I think of them as the energizer bunny.

·
I worship Ray Mears
250 Posts
Where in the world do you get sardines in tomato sauce that sounds good. I have only found them in mustard, and hot sauce. I actually enjoy Eel very tasty. The canned oysters are good to. I cook them up with some butter always wondered if I could just pop the can open and eat them?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I like the ones in hot sauce and the ones in mustard. A couple weeks ago I brought two tins of sardines, and two packs of ramen noodles to work for lunch. I mixed them together and it was good.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Where in the world do you get sardines in tomato sauce that sounds good. I have only found them in mustard, and hot sauce. I actually enjoy Eel very tasty. The canned oysters are good to. I cook them up with some butter always wondered if I could just pop the can open and eat them?
Should find them in a supermarket, you may just have to try a few different places to find them though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts