Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just typical around the house sizes..AA,AAA,9V some Cs and Ds..I don't really even know what is the best..I heard that there are some out now that has a low discharge rate..

Amber

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm having a heck of a time finding rechargeable Ds. Seems Duracell doesn't make them, and Energizers' are junk.

·
GO Dawgs
1,395 Posts
Sanyo eneloops are a good low discharge battery,I do not think they make the larger sizes. I bought mine off of ebay,look up deal extreme they have many different type of rechargeable batteries,I have bought a few flashlights and rechargeable batteries from them and have been happy. The shipping is free but slow from Hong Kong.

·
Grumpy old man
145 Posts
Low self discharge batteries are worth the extra cost in my opinion. Eneloop is a good one. ANY nimh rechargeable battery that says "pre-charged" on the package is an lsd battery. Walmart carries Kodak brand and I have had very good luck with them. Regular nimh were $9.97 for 4 AA and lsd nimh were $10.97 for 4 AA. (Kodak cells are slightly "fatter" than standard cells. I have a couple mini-mags that fit them fine and one that will not accept them.) The non-lsd cells show a somewhat higher capacity, something like 2400 mah versus 2100 mah. AA and AAA are by far the most popular sizes. I have not seen lsd cells in any other sizes. I use the standard cells in devices that I use daily or often and the lsd cells in things that are seldom used. As my regular cells die, the replacements will be lsd units.
vorpal

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
+1 vorpal

Always check the milli-amp hour rating,even if they are on the same display rack. Go as high as you can.

I have duracell nickel metal hydrides.They must make them.And they are good ones.

·
Where the Elite meet
5,560 Posts
just typical around the house sizes..AA,AAA,9V some Cs and Ds..I don't really even know what is the best..I heard that there are some out now that has a low discharge rate..

Amber
Eneloops are the best low self discharge. Costco has them cheap, and they also go on sale at Costco with some regularity. The Costco pack also comes with adapters to convert AA to C and D. Whatever you get don't cheap out and get cheap LSD batteries as they are bad quality and don't keep their charge nearly as long as quality ones. The Maha ones are also good.

Another good source of batteries and chargers is Thomas Distributing.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/rechargeable-batteries.php

·
Where the Elite meet
5,560 Posts
+1 vorpal

Always check the milli-amp hour rating,even if they are on the same display rack. Go as high as you can.

I have duracell nickel metal hydrides.They must make them.And they are good ones.
This is also a good idea as higher rated batteries often lose their charge much quicker than LSD batteries. Higher rated bats are great if you are going to use them in a high drain application and empty them shortly after charging them. If the bats are going to sit for any amount of time LSD are much better as they keep a longer charge and higher voltage over time.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
My wife and I stopped using rechargeables about a year back. We found a regenerator on sportsmansguide that recharges all common alkaline types and we've been using those since. It's slow, but it works perfectly. We haven't bought batteries in a year now.

rich

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
My wife and I stopped using rechargeables about a year back. We found a regenerator on sportsmansguide that recharges all common alkaline types and we've been using those since. It's slow, but it works perfectly. We haven't bought batteries in a year now.

rich

when you recharge common batteries do they hold their charge like they originally did? are they just as strong? can you tell a differance in a new common battery and one you have recharged?

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have a Family Dollar store in our town and they have a pack with 4 AA Energizer rechargeable batteries WITH a charger for $9.99. These are 2400 mah, nimh batteries. I have a bunch and use them in all of my flashlights and cameras. They are great batteries. All other rechargeable batteries that I have found around here cost way more than this and have no charger with them. Of course, I also have a bunch of chargers around too, but I guess that's part of the deal !

·
Where the Elite meet
5,560 Posts
We have a Family Dollar store in our town and they have a pack with 4 AA Energizer rechargeable batteries WITH a charger for $9.99. These are 2400 mah, nimh batteries. I have a bunch and use them in all of my flashlights and cameras. They are great batteries. All other rechargeable batteries that I have found around here cost way more than this and have no charger with them. Of course, I also have a bunch of chargers around too, but I guess that's part of the deal !
I've had terrible luck with Energizer recharagbles. It's know problem that they can self discharge extremely quickly. This seems to only effect Energizer brand rechargeables. I had some that would lose their charge in a matter of days.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
when you recharge common batteries do they hold
Yep. As close to a new battery as is possible and not tell the diff. They hold their charge as long as new and they don't develop a memory etc. Cheapo batteries actually regenerate better than higher end ones so bulk packed sportsmansguide batteries last a *long* time. We're not talking high drain stuff like lithiums in a camera or a tactical light etc, though. The regenerator works for common alkalines that you'd use in common alkaline applications like flashlights and radios and stuff. If you need high drain/fast charge, stick to NiMH and NiCd. A regenerator is slow and it's a bit expensive compared to common rechargers. A 64 pack of bulk alkalines is about as much as a four pack of rechargeables, though, so it fits our needs.

rich

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Batteries Plus.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/

They have stores nation-wide.

I work in TV and movie production and I always go to BP for my normal and unusual battery needs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts