Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for any good first aid manuals that go beyond just trying to get the person to survive until the ambulance gets there.

Preferably something that contains instructions on suturing and things like that. Anybody have any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
"Wilderness First Responder" by Buck Tilton

"Medicine for the backcountry" by Buck Tilton

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
I am looking for any good first aid manuals that go beyond just trying to get the person to survive until the ambulance gets there.

Preferably something that contains instructions on suturing and things like that. Anybody have any recommendations?
When you start practicing for sutures, practice on a banana. Its a bit harder to do on a banana, but if you can suture one, you can suture skin easier.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you start practicing for sutures, practice on a banana. Its a bit harder to do on a banana, but if you can suture one, you can suture skin easier.
i've actually had practice suturing on pigs feet (coached by an MD). My main point of weakness is in the different types of knots. Also, I want to have an instructional on hand in case somebody has to suture me

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've actually had practice suturing on pigs feet (coached by an MD). My main point of weakness is in the different types of knots. Also, I want to have an instructional on hand in case somebody has to suture me
:eek: Quite possibly the most awesome thing I've heard all year.

Thinking of taking a disaster first aid class in my area--I do hope they allow me to suture pig's feet.

·
In Omnia Paratus
561 Posts
Id take a look at the Armys Combat Life saver manual, its basic trauma response, and its brought down to the 8th grade level. (no offense to anyone) Then that SF handbook is a good place to go from there.

·
Prophet
1,270 Posts
occupational first aid manual. has o2 therapy, spine board, arterial bleeding, etc.
unfortunately it doesnt contain suturing.
lots of info. you get one here in bc when you take the ofa course.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would not rely on a FM from 1976 for medical care. Too much has changed over the years. Beware some of the copies of the SF Manual that are out there. The old version which is still sold is from the 80's.

·
Self-reliant
228 Posts

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts

·
great survivalist *****
1,258 Posts
I would not rely on a FM from 1976 for medical care. Too much has changed over the years. Beware some of the copies of the SF Manual that are out there. The old version which is still sold is from the 80's.
hahaha your warning will go unnoticed on this forum. most of the people, on here, use medical techniques and treatments from before the Bronze Age. 1976 is thousands of years more advanced then most of the medical advice given in the health section.

i will give a +1 to your post.:thumb:

·
Por la gloria!
539 Posts
Maybe Old is better

hahaha your warning will go unnoticed on this forum. most of the people, on here, use medical techniques and treatments from before the Bronze Age. 1976 is thousands of years more advanced then most of the medical advice given in the health section.

I suggested using Field Manual 21-11 : First Aid for Soldiers, due to the fact that it is very easy for those that are not medical professionals to understand. Also, it is directed to more combat injuries, which would be in higher occurrence WTSHTF.

The problem with newer medical manuals is that most of them are written for trained professionals and/or they rely on modern technology. Modern technology will not be widely available WTSHTF. Many people prefer older techniques, due to their simplicity and general effectiveness.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts