Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I broke down and bought a new receiver cover with a rail to mount scope rings, It fits very well on my I.O. Ak47 got a small gap near the left front but ahould be ok hope not to get any blow back in my face.
But now I'm wondering what would be a decent "cheapish" scope for my AK, I don't want to spend over $150.00,
I got my NcStar for my AR15 back from the factory after having trouble with the windage wheel, and now is a great scope but it won't fit on my AK,
I want something with at least a 4x zoom and crosshair that is always visible.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=174084093 This is the receiver cover I bought.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
You will never get a powered scope to hold a zero on a top cover mount on an AK - either get a side rail mount or a beryl type mount - like the one Kreb's makes, anything other than that will never work.

Also, I would suggest investing in good optics. Spending a few hundred on a good powered scope or on an Aimpoint or EoTech will pay off in the long run and will probably last longer than the weapon you put it on.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
any pics? scope on a AK sounds funny. but so does a flashlight and i have one on mine so ... lol
Funny? Well considering that there is a stock side rail intended for optics to be mounted on I wouldn't find it funny - what would be funny is if half the morons that buy AK's actually learned how to use them and stopped using $20 specials for optics and then report that an AK is inaccurate... That would make me giggle uncontrollably...

EoTech/Magnifier on Saiga -

Leupold 3-9x40 on Saiga -

POSP 6x42mm on a 5.45 Saiga (mounted via side rail mount)

(Leupold Mark II - 4-12x40mm on the MSG-91)

·
DEFCON 4
6,583 Posts
while scopes on ak's are fine. they are really not meant for them per se'. at least the regular carbine lenght ones. i had a scope on mine and it performed fine, however i am a big proponent of using open sights on them, as that is what they were truly designed for imho. that being said, there is nothing like slapping an eotech on an ar platform type weapon.... although i do not do that personally.....if you need a choice for yours, pm gofo, he will set you straight...

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
I can't see paying $1500 on a scope for a $600 gun, Thats like putting $1500 Chrome rims and wheels on a honda worth $600.
What is $1,500?

You can get a GOOD Leupold Mark II for less than $500.

And with that $500 you will NEVER have to worry about it for the rest of your life.

The Aimpoint I just picked up was $400 and included mount and covers w/ killflash - I could have bought a knock-off for $100-150 - but what would I save by not knowing if it will work 1 day, 1 week or even 1 year and then break? What would I save by not knowing if it will fry or not when going out in the rain (the Aimpoint can be submerged to 25m and still work)? Or even how much will be saved with 10,000 hours of battery life or 100 hours? Batteries aren't cheap 3-12 dollars a pop depending on the type/brand.

There is more to factor than cost when it comes to optics. The money spent on Leupold/Aimpoint/EoTech is money well spent when you know that it will always work, it will never break on you and it will never lose zero - put a price tag on that.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I love saving money too, that is why I invest in quality glass, it SAVES you money!!!

If you can't afford it, save the money, use a credit card w/e and buy something decent - if you don't want to do any of those then DON'T BUY CHEAP GLASS - stick with irons and only buy glass when you can buy something worth sticking on your rifle.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
Here's what I plan to use for one of my AKs:

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...-weapon-systems-backordered-/products_id/3820

I plan to mount a scope on my next AK using this dogleg system and plan to change to a variable power or tactical rifle scope from time to time too. If or when things go bad, just take off the scopes and use the rear sight that is in place on the dogleg.
I would love to see one of those in person before hunkering down on the cash for it - I had the 1st model Kreb's it was VERY good and well built and the Kreb's guys are great to do business with. Nothing like talking to the man who built it when you give them a call.

They released a new model with more usability on the rear A2 sight. It costs $295 but it is as solid as a rock and made from the best Aluminum alloy (can't remember the exact designation but it is the same stuff that they make airframes out of). When I spoke to Dan (I think is his name - I am terrible with names) he said that the Aluminum they use cost $30 more a pound than the standard AL that weapon rails are typically made out of. They use 7075 Aluminum - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7075_aluminium_alloy

That is why there is such a price difference between mounts and rails made by people like UTG/Leepers and guys like Daniel Defense - some of it is in the name but an awful lot of it is in the materials used. Not all AL is the same ;)\

The Dog Leg is made out of 6061-T6 Aluminum - Specs on that alloy can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6061_aluminium_alloy
It is a 'general purpose' alloy.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
I agree with spending a few hundred on a quality scope...I bought some cheap'o red/green dot scope for $60. I think it was more for airsoft...I can hit a man sized target 100- yrds out..but after the autopsy, they will see holes in his legs, toes, chest...lol seriously, I'm looking at dropping around 300-400 to put on a WASR....IF your life depended on it, you want a quality scope or dot

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Grevlin, I like YOUR idea better than mine. I may give that one a try and save some money. I like exchanging information in this forum because even an old goat like me can learn something new every now and again.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know I think its just HILARIOUS! when I read/hear the phrase "If your life depends on it" You know what 9 out of 10 chances you'll never see that kind of combat if your a Civi, If I was fearing that society was goin to completely going to end tomorrow I sure as can say my iron sights would be just fine and wouldn't need to bother with a scope, because most of the fighting would be close quarters less than 100 yrds. So till you've been in the suck just really think of that phrase.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
semi-automatic rifles are brutal on scopes. The impact shock created from the gas piston system can really bang some scopes around.

The big thing will be a positive detent scope adjustment rather than a frictional one. The least expensive scope I know of that does that is the nikon prostaff scope. They make a decent 2-7x32mm model. Try to get a minimum field of view of 40ft at 100 yards if possible.

Burris fullfield II also makes a good scope. Optics may not be better than base leupolds. however, their adjustment system is better and the scope body is one piece versus 2.

Another good scope base is the scout mounts. Will hold zero and take a few bangs before the scope zero shifts. I use them on the SKS rifles and a saiga conversion with a eotech 512.

IF you can't afford a good base, foget about any scope.

For $100 tech sights makes a great rear peep sight for the ak-47. Makes your groups at longer ranges look much better.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts