Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In fact I have a few of these, one in each of my GOOD bags (Get Out Of Dodge)
and one in each of the Vehicles. great for small game and breaks down for easy storage, and very reasonable priced.
Strong believer I will need a .22 more then any other caliber When SHTF

in fact I still think the Air Force still keep these on some planes

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
I was actually disapointed with the performance of the AR-7. In a pinch it will work but it is difficult to zero and jams like mad. it is very particular about the ammo it likes.

I know it fits in the bag and that is uber cool but a really good rifle for survival is the ruger 10/22 or the nylon 66. Both of those rifles are accurate and reliable.

Maybe a ar-7 for the bags but definately something more reliable for the vehicles.

·
Registered
725 Posts
This is a very nice rifle. It comes with two magazines, and packs away neatly in the back pack or duffle bag. Open sights are good enough to pattern a 6" target at 50 yds and be respectable at 100 yds. A good rifle for small game.

I found one under the Christmas tree this past December. :thumb:

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
my grandpa has one its ok but i only use em as a kyak gun since it floats

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
I found the Kel-Tec SU-16 to be perfect for my bag. It folds down really short and is so light that it feels like a toy. With adapter cartridges, you can shoot .22s in it also, though it becomes a single shot when you do that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
For $100 you can get a .22 bolt action Cricket that you can easily takedown with a flat head screwdriver (one screw) and fits in your backpack with ease. Its a solid 75 yard shooter with the 16" barrel. I bought one for my son to start shooting with, and once I got it home, saw the opportunity for a nice little .22 survival rifle to stick it almost any pack/bag/bob when broken down into its two parts. Its dead simple and really can't break or malfunction.

And you can't beat the price. ;-)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
AR7

I have one of those, a Henry. it's my canoe gun - or one of the 2, the other being a 20ga H&R.
the AR7 is ammo sensitive and the mag well can be 'shimmed' on the back strap to take out some slop to help with function, or mine responded well to that. plenty accurate and good for a bag. any 'group' of folks in a bug-out situation should have one of these or similar .22lr rifle along with the other arms.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
For $100 you can get a .22 bolt action Cricket that you can easily takedown with a flat head screwdriver (one screw) and fits in your backpack with ease. Its a solid 75 yard shooter with the 16" barrel. I bought one for my son to start shooting with, and once I got it home, saw the opportunity for a nice little .22 survival rifle to stick it almost any pack/bag/bob when broken down into its two parts. Its dead simple and really can't break or malfunction.

And you can't beat the price. ;-)

Funny you mention this one...I was looking at one this morning at Wally World for 97.00 fun dollars (before I get the 10% discount) and thinking the same thing..."Man what a great compact rifle this would be!" I do have some reservations on how well that rear peep sight is tho...other than that it looks to be very well built. Looks like it would make a great compact 22 long rifle game getter. Might end up getting it anyways as it would be great in the Kayak with a pill bottle full of shot shells and a few CB caps...I dont like snakes too much!

While it dont float, I would imagine it aint nearly as picky about the ammo you fire from it as compared to the AR-7 and any other auto loader for that matter. I am kinda thinking that just like my Single Six Convertable, it will digest about anything you can chamber in it. No magazine to loose or malfunction either!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really have no trouble with the AR7 and take at least one out a week and use it for a squirrel dinner, and a rabbit once and a while, and thats what I have them packed for.
for everything else its the Glock's and the OBR's

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
how is the accuracy??? could it take squirrel at 50 yd??? i saw one at a gun show and the front sight was a bit wiggley.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Another inexpensive idea is to pick up a Rosi single shot package. I have one with a 410 and a 22 barrel you can also get them with larger shotgun and bigger rifle packages and even 3 or 4 barrel packages. They come with their own carry case and breaks down and then reassembles in about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
21,890 Posts
Much rather have the Marlin Papoose myself.

However if I'm gonna be on the water the AR-7 has a definite advantage in not sinking like a rock.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts