Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone in or around NE/SE OHIO that knows of a good romote, primitive camping spot i can go to to try out some gear. you know a place were there isnt alot if any people. a place where you build a camp fire and not worry and maybe do some fishing.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went down to Wayne on Friday. Was going to camp overnight and go hikeing saturday. Endened comeing home eirly saturday morning. nothing went as planed but i will try againe.Thanks for the info thow.

1,600 Posts
Went down to Wayne on Friday. Was going to camp overnight and go hikeing saturday. Endened comeing home eirly saturday morning. nothing went as planed but i will try againe.Thanks for the info thow.
I went down the same weekend it rain like crazy!What didnt go as planned if I
may ask?

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nothing

didnt get there till late so it was dark. raining like crazey. my dog would not settle down. there were other cars there so i didnt wsant too disturb anyone otherwise i would have practiced setting up camp in the dark when its raining.

· Registered
9 Posts
Try Zaleski. Its in Venton county south east ohio. My friends goes there all the time. I will be going soon. They have a 23.5 mile trail and 10 mile trail that might be perfect for a day hike and camp. There's stop off every 3 miles with places to camp and a fire pit and water but I here you and camp pretty much where ever. All you do is fill out a form with your name and when you plan tpo be back and drop it in a box. No paying or designated anything. Nice primative camping.

· Registered
18 Posts
"thexuprising Try Zaleski. Its in Venton county south east ohio. My friends goes there all the time. I will be going soon. They have a 23.5 mile trail and 10 mile trail that might be perfect for a day hike and camp. There's stop off every 3 miles with places to camp and a fire pit and water but I here you and camp pretty much where ever. All you do is fill out a form with your name and when you plan tpo be back and drop it in a box. No paying or designated anything. Nice primative camping."

Please do share more details of where the trails actually are...:)

· Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Can anyone suggest some places to camp that are not heavily crowded or camping too close together, but would be suitable for a family. I want to take my kids camping, but they are still small kids so I can't drag them into the middle of nowhere, I still need some semblance of civilization, but I would like to find a place not overly crowded and areas to hike. Stuff closer to NW Ohio would be better.

· Registered
21 Posts
Just a note about Wayne NF. Directly from their website:

Primitive Camping is allowed on NF land away from developed campgrounds and anywhere that your camping equipment and/or vehicle do not block developed trails or road right-of-ways.

Plan to bring enough drinking water for the duration of your stay. Leave a clean campsite by packing out all refuse. There is no charge for primitive camping, although a 14 day limitation is in effect. It is not normally necessary to check in with the Forest Service. However, groups larger than 25 people require a permit and prior coordination is required.

· Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Primitive Camping is allowed on NF land away from developed campgrounds and anywhere that your camping equipment and/or vehicle do not block developed trails or road right-of-ways.
Thank you, that might be just what the doc ordered if I can camp near a lake or river where I can pull water out of with a filter. Now you have me wondering if other state forests in other states like Michigan have the same policy. I am going to have to check, I might have found myself a whole new cool place to start camping.

· Registered
2,043 Posts
The SE corner of Ohio is a different planet. A good planet.

Set off in the SE corner there is a park called Burr Oak. They have amminities and a lodge but also a lake and car camping. They also have primitive camp areas, and if you get onto the lake you can find a place on shore that would work.

They are never crowded and they are in a depressed area of the state. Way off the beaten path and very hilly. You have to be headed there on purpose to get there, no drop in campers or big RV parties. Only certain spots (hilltops) on the park have cell phone reception.

I take a small group there for 2 weeks survival training every summer.

Over in SE Ohio you also have the state operated Recreation Lands. Refilled/replanted/reclaimed strip mines available for primitive camping. No big crowds there either, last time I was there. Thousands of acres that no one uses.

Get on the Ohio Website. They have pictures of all of it. Remember that the pics are PR. Many of the parks have thousands of acres that are not resort area. Call them and find out what they allow.

· superdizi
78 Posts
You ain't lying. SE OH is certainly a different planet. Nobody thinks of the 'hill country' when they picture OH, but it's there. Lots of those hollers seem cutoff from the rest of the world, much like the old-timey Appalachia.
+1

lots of cool stuff in the ohio valley. couple nice points along the river where you can see way out, deep into wv.

· Registered
70 Posts
I take students, scouts and wannabe's to Wayne once a month for weekend survival challenges and it is absolutely perfect. Also some great places to hike into the Great Miami as well that you can enjoy not seeing any humans for days or weeks at a time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.