Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A close friend of mine is looking at getting a new AR soon, the Ruger AR-556 to be exact. He currently owns a M&P 15 Sport which hes had since 2013. He wants the Ruger because of the forward assist and dust cover. I own a 6920 but RARELY have to use either of those items, but to each their own. He's open to the idea of selling me the M&P and using the money to help him towards the Ruger. I asked him how many rounds he's put through it, he said it's been to the range twice. For a 3 year old rifle, it just sat in the safe. I checked it out, inside and out, the darn thing is like brand new. Now the question... what's it worth? I would bet you this rifle hasn't had 200 rounds through it. A new M&P 15 Sport goes for about the same price as the Ruger which sells for ~650 new. I don't want to lowball him, but at the same time, I don't want to spend too much because I'd rather buy the new Ruger anyway. I'm halfway temped to offer him $400 cash. Opionions? What's the going price of a M&P 15 Sport in your area?

I'd love to put my Eotech 517 on the M&P and use it as a "blasting rifle" for steel case ammo, maybe even as a truck gun, and get a low power scope for my 6920 to add some yardage to the equation.

·
Fenced In
3,441 Posts
With such a low round count, if it is the first-gen model with aforementioned 5R barrel, offer $400 as Andrew Jackson said, but be willing to go close to $500. I've been extremely happy with my Sport, bought new in 2012. However, I do have to point out that mine doesn't like Tula steel-cased ammo, if that's a concern.

·
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I confirmed with him today that it is the 1:9 barrel, not the sought after first model. I don't know when exactly they changed barrels, but he bought it NIB in Spring 2013.

I would use it as a beater AR, so steel case ammo reliability is a must.

·
Fenced In
3,441 Posts
The issue I encountered at the time was that the Tula wouldn't cycle properly. I heard/read that it is "loaded light" but couldn't really say for sure. Although I rarely used Wolf or Bear brands, zinc-plated steel such as MFS and Colt (probably rebranded Silver Bear) never presented any problem. Everything else has run fine, including various brands of reloads.

Having the 1:9 barrel wouldn't be a show-stopper, but I wouldn't go much past $400.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Since you aren't super into this rifle in particular, it is only appealing if it is a great deal.
"It is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it."

I would only offer what you would be willing to pay to make you feel like you got a great deal... otherwise, why buy it? Explain to your buddy that you don't need the rifle, but would buy it for "X" amount, and that you understand if that is too low for him. No hard feelings.

If he needs the highest price possible instead of a quick hassle free purchase, then you aren't the right buyer.

You are offering a lower price perhaps, but are also offering a quick cash hassle free sale. Convenience is worth quite a bit to me. I have sold stuff to friends lower than a used retail price, just for the sake of good will and convenience.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
$400 is reasonable... maybe a little more if it has some extras.

I picked up a safe queen a while back for $450 ($425 + $25 shipping) from gunbroker. It's the 1 in 9, no dust cover, no FA. It came with 50 rounds of ammo. 2 Pmags, quick disconnect sling, flip up magpul mbus sights, and a nice UTG DC soft case. It cost me an additional $35 for the local FFL.

It's a decent weapon. I've run Tula, wolf and silver bear through it with no issues.

·
Registered
952 Posts
If its like new (and non-5r), I wouldnt go over $500. You can get new ones for $550-ish. It should still keep the warranty. $450 might be more fair, since the new ones have FA and dust cover and are thus valued more (though I, personally, prefer the kighter weight original setup). $400 and under would be a deal, pretty fair to both sides.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
$450 max. You can buy exactly what he is getting (Ruger AR556) for around $600 which is a mil-spec rifle. I would ask him what he wants for it. The first person to say a price loses :thumb;

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
A close friend of mine is looking at getting a new AR soon, the Ruger AR-556 to be exact. He currently owns a M&P 15 Sport which hes had since 2013. He wants the Ruger because of the forward assist and dust cover. I own a 6920 but RARELY have to use either of those items, but to each their own. He's open to the idea of selling me the M&P and using the money to help him towards the Ruger. I asked him how many rounds he's put through it, he said it's been to the range twice. For a 3 year old rifle, it just sat in the safe. I checked it out, inside and out, the darn thing is like brand new. Now the question... what's it worth? I would bet you this rifle hasn't had 200 rounds through it. A new M&P 15 Sport goes for about the same price as the Ruger which sells for ~650 new. I don't want to lowball him, but at the same time, I don't want to spend too much because I'd rather buy the new Ruger anyway. I'm halfway temped to offer him $400 cash. Opionions? What's the going price of a M&P 15 Sport in your area?

I'd love to put my Eotech 517 on the M&P and use it as a "blasting rifle" for steel case ammo, maybe even as a truck gun, and get a low power scope for my 6920 to add some yardage to the equation.

So...what happened?

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I have a S&W AR Sport with the Good Barrel that I bought used, not many rounds down range for $400.00.

I keep it inside a closet for a late night gun to go outside with.

With the 5R 1:8 barrel it is a very accurate gun.

I just have other ARs for crawling through the jungle with.

Jungle Work

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.