Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Sam Thayer - "Forager's Harvest" & also the "Edible Wild Plants - A North Am. field guide" books.

Here in Southeast PA, I am finding so many plants that are not in these books, so I am having very little success in identifying most of them.

I see several flowering plants, some tall things with very unique leaves, quite a few with distinct identifying characteristics, but that doesn't do me much good without a guide book to go by...

Any suggestions on more good books or even websites that have lots of identifying pics? Websites have their limitations, since I can't carry that info. into the woods with me, but would still be useful...

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try the archive section of my site, eattheweeds.com
Deane, I have been looking there for info., great stuff. :)

I have also been working my way through your youtube vids, I think I am on episode # 14 at this time.

What is frustrating is when you have several plants growing in your yard/ on your property, & you look through literally hundreds of internet/book pics,

trying to I.D. them for this spring season, but can't find anything that looks like it! :confused:

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Deane, I have been looking there for info., great stuff. :)

I have also been working my way through your youtube vids, I think I am on episode # 14 at this time.

What is frustrating is when you have several plants growing in your yard/ on your property, & you look through literally hundreds of internet/book pics,

trying to I.D. them for this spring season, but can't find anything that looks like it! :confused:
That's why studying with someone moves things along. On my website there is a list of foraging instructors and there are several in your area including the author mentioned above and Mr. 2020 who posts here as well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not sure if it's helpful but we have a book called Aboriginal Native Foods and Medicines, which is very helpful.
So maybe if you find a book relating to native foods, natural medicines and diets the inidgenous people of your area, you might get something more comprehensive and specific?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.