Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Trying to Live Free
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. Just got a Gerber LMF II and a Ka-Bar BK2. What is a good oil to use on them that is safe for preparing food too?

How often should I clean them;
When stored in a cool dry place like a closet?
When being used alot in normal temperate conditions?

Thank you

Freeman

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
How about mineral oil for daily users, and petroleum jelly when they're packed away - best of both worlds. I recently switched to mineral oil, having always used a gunoil of some sort.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
I know use Ballistol for both my knives and guns. Smells like liquorice and isn't poisonous in any way.
http://www.ballistol.com/
After finding out that it is basically a Medicinal grade oil.....
Ballistol is based on medicinal grade white mineral oil
From....
http://www.baileysonline.com/msds_sheets/PDFs/ballistol.PDF
It seems perfectly safe. I think (for me anyways) It all boils down to the Multi use and cost factors. So I guess that means Ballistol might be on the list as well as PJ. Really though it all depends on cost.

EDIT: But after doing some more Web surfing on this subject I think I will stick to PJ. Someone had the INSIDE of their Ballistol can rust after sitting on a shelf for a year.....
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...on-toxic-even-edible-rust-proof-oil-for-knife

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
I use WD-40 to clean and sharpen but I use the same oil I use on my guns for storing. I'm not brand fussy. Burkes gun oil, sewing machine oil, Gunslick oil wipes, I use any of them or whatever else is handy. There is no magic oil.

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
Hello folks. Just got a Gerber LMF II and a Ka-Bar BK2. What is a good oil to use on them that is safe for preparing food too?

How often should I clean them;
When stored in a cool dry place like a closet?
When being used alot in normal temperate conditions?

Thank you

Freeman
A thin coat of olive oil will do fine. There are other oils to be sure but olive oil will NOT harm you in any way.

·
I come in peace..
1,296 Posts
Can somone school me on why u need a oil? I gather its to prevent corrosion and rust, but I cant amagine this being a problem if u watch and use ur blades every now and then , right?

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
Can somone school me on why u need a oil? I gather its to prevent corrosion and rust, but I cant amagine this being a problem if u watch and use ur blades every now and then , right?
just handling a steel/carbon knife will make it rust/discolor. its caused by the oils/sweats released from your body. also when you cut into more living woods, they bleed and have lots of moisture in them, which can help harm the steel faster.

its a good prevention tool to use oil. and if your blade is slightly oiled/wet, it will preform better because it will provide less friction

1 - 15 of 15 Posts