Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, anyone have strong recommends on this? There are some pretty cheap ones on the bay, 30.00 or so. Any older ones recommended? Brand names, for ease of use?

I have an ice cream motor (slow speed) setup for a pasta machine, and its the same make as one more expensive (Italian) grain mill. But Im just planning for no energy, or out in the boonies.

Also, do you use it often to grind your own grain anyway? I use a coffee grinder to make sunflower and pumpkin seed flower for crackers and pizza!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts

·
ill prepared
336 Posts
Ok, anyone have strong recommends on this? There are some pretty cheap ones on the bay, 30.00 or so. Any older ones recommended? Brand names, for ease of use?

I have an ice cream motor (slow speed) setup for a pasta machine, and its the same make as one more expensive (Italian) grain mill. But Im just planning for no energy, or out in the boonies.

Also, do you use it often to grind your own grain anyway? I use a coffee grinder to make sunflower and pumpkin seed flower for crackers and pizza!
Just remember if you go cheap make sure you stick by the "two is one, one is none" rule. This rule applies to everything that is important no matter what the cost/quality is but if you're going "cheap" it DEFINATELY applies. :thumb:

·
I CHOOSE LIBERTY!
1,894 Posts
Just remember if you go cheap make sure you stick by the "two is one, one is none" rule. This rule applies to everything that is important no matter what the cost/quality is but if you're going "cheap" it DEFINATELY applies. :thumb:
If it is made in China and sold at WalMart then 10 is one and one is none.

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Seriously a "Cheap" grain mill is a waste of time and money. Like any tool it should be of good quality. Buy an extra set of burrs while you are at it.

I have this unit.
http://www.grainmaker.com/

A VERY good quality mill that will last a few life times.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I would stay away from anything plastic. A grain mill needs to be cast iron, IMO.
The ones I have are from yard sales. They DO last forever.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
You could possibly grind wheat with your coffee grinder. That's what the Ingalls family did. Read "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. She described it as very slow, tiring, and difficult work.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
I have an electric burr grinder for coffee. I might be able to get away with soft white, it wouldn't have a chance with hard red. I also have a very small hand burr grinder which I wouldn't ever try to grind wheat with. Coffee is difficult enough.

I might give this a try on the coarsest setting to start and work my way to finer settings after that.

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Mine is made here locally, cast machined and milled in good old Montana from some really nice folks I had the pleasure to meet. It is a real mom and pop operation to. I paid 475 I think? Like the old saying goes; you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Mine is made here locally, cast machined and milled in good old Montana from some really nice folks I had the pleasure to meet. It is a real mom and pop operation to. I paid 475 I think? Like the old saying goes; you get what you pay for.
I bought one last week and it cost around $425. Works very well too. Solid construction and built for the long haul.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Our Hand Grain Mill is on sale this month for $59.99 (14% off regular price of $69.95). It has fine to coarse settings, mills approx. a half cup of flour per minute, and it can grind wheat, corn, rice, oats, barley and more. Comes with a two-year warranty from Back to Basics.

Hand Grain Mill

·
Registered
104 Posts
I own the wondermill jr, bought as a deluxe package so it came with stone and steel wheels, and a big clamp. Couldn't be happier with it for the 199 I paid, grinds fast and fine. There have been some people that say it clogs when making peanut butter but I haven't tried. I'm not altogether certain the stone is true natural stone on the wheels, I'm no stone expert but it looks a little manufactured for some reason - just my observation. Assuming it is, I'd consider it the weakest link and am incline to buy a backup, or just another unit. But overall we'd give it a 9/10

Now the bread my wife made out of buckwheat and oat flour last night, that I'm not too sure of. Eat it or put it behind the tire of my car to keep it from rolling?

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Our Hand Grain Mill is on sale this month for $59.99 (14% off regular price of $69.95). It has fine to coarse settings, mills approx. a half cup of flour per minute, and it can grind wheat, corn, rice, oats, barley and more. Comes with a two-year warranty from Back to Basics.

Hand Grain Mill

Get this one. When I get my money right I am getting one myself.

Might as well support a Site Merchant. They help make this possible.

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Get this one. When I get my money right I am getting one myself.

Might as well support a Site Merchant. They help make this possible.
I totally agree, and emergency essentials is a GREAT company to buy from with great customer service.
Just IMO the hopper could be a bit bigger with that model, but other than that I have heard good things about it.

·
Thread killer
1,237 Posts

Hand Grain Mill

Done, and on the way. Thanks againEE!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts