Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt want to highjack another thread but the pvc tubing got me thinking about good hiding places. Below are mine...what can you folks come up with?

- hallowed out books
- inside shower curtain rods
- a well sealed bag can be inserted into food stuffs, especially things like peanut butter which can be smoothed over
- taped under tables or other furniture
- up/down a nonworking chimmney
- in walls
- inside children's toys
- behind pictures, under the glass (especially good for documents)
- inside the batting of couch/chair cushions

One thing I always thought of is how to put a false front on the side of your tub.

And where I store my cash...I used a tampon, removed it and rolled up my cash inside the applicator. I used the ones with plastic wrappers and just ironed them shut. Each one holds $100 in 20s, $50 in 10s and $25 in fives. I figure that way if I was forced out nobody would think anything about a chick with a box of tampex on her. I have $1000 stored that way and hope to make it $2000 by the end of April (tax return). My son wears leg braces with long hollow cables which surprise, surprise unscrew and all my gold fits down there except of the bracelets. All the coins will get put into his inflatable seat for his wheelchair, which detacts. If I am forced to leave I am sneaking out as much as I can of value.

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mama: Do you mark the tampon applicators so you know which have the cash in them ?
Just wondering how absorbent 20 dollar bills are ?.......Alaskan....Dennis....
Cheeky monkey...

I keep them in seperate boxes, the ones that come in 10...and I just throw them under the sink with the rest of the toiletries

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Good post.

I didnt want to highjack another thread but the pvc tubing got me thinking about good hiding places. Below are mine...what can you folks come up with?

- hallowed out books
- inside shower curtain rods
- a well sealed bag can be inserted into food stuffs, especially things like peanut butter which can be smoothed over
- taped under tables or other furniture
- up/down a nonworking chimmney
- in walls
- inside children's toys
- behind pictures, under the glass (especially good for documents)
- inside the batting of couch/chair cushions

One thing I always thought of is how to put a false front on the side of your tub.

And where I store my cash...I used a tampon, removed it and rolled up my cash inside the applicator. I used the ones with plastic wrappers and just ironed them shut. Each one holds $100 in 20s, $50 in 10s and $25 in fives. I figure that way if I was forced out nobody would think anything about a chick with a box of tampex on her. I have $1000 stored that way and hope to make it $2000 by the end of April (tax return). My son wears leg braces with long hollow cables which surprise, surprise unscrew and all my gold fits down there except of the bracelets. All the coins will get put into his inflatable seat for his wheelchair, which detacts. If I am forced to leave I am sneaking out as much as I can of value.

Be careful about taping under tables and drawers or behind pictures. That is one the first places thieves look.

·
Registered
475 Posts
excellent post........

I use the phony receptacle in the wall type I've rooled up 2000 and stuck it in there and it works great. It does take a minute or so to get it out though so if you want grab and go the tampons sound GREAT.........
I had 19000 dollars in an old grease gun in the barn for several years worked real good just hangin up with the rest of them.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
sorry, but most of those places are not good hiding places. many a home owner has come home to find their art smashed, their library tossed, their toys shredded, and their kitchen floor covered with all their cereal. another bad place to hide anything is in or under the toilet; B&E criminals always look there.

The best place to store valuables is in a good safe that is properly secured. Thieves tend to leave them alone because they take too long to open.

the tampons might be safe... at least until the thieves read this post.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I know someone who stores cash under a loose floorboard in his bedroom. Sounds too common hugh? Well, his bedroom door is a hidden panel.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
My Father sealed cash & coin down inside metal fence posts. Made his own high-density salt licks for his horses....sealed up cash inside those too. You can't see through salt & minerals. Whatever's inside is perfectly preserved and requires a power-washer to dissolve the rock-hard salt. Neat trick...we went through several dozen of them.

When he passed away we began looking. It took us 3 weeks to find his "treasure map"
by then we had thrown out a couple boxes of corn flakes that had been down in the bottom of his chest freezer. The fact that they had expired more than 5 years ago meant nothing to us. They apparently had over $500 each inside.

My point: Don't forget where you put stuff, make a treasure map for others in case you are not around.

·
awake and aware
591 Posts
'How to be Invisible' by JJ Luna has excellent hiding space recommendations.

Inside door frames and inside doors (bathroom etc) themselves are some of the highly praised spots he writes.
Doors that are not likely to be kicked in or locked that a thief will not break down.

I'm not going to share the #1 spot that he says to hide the most important things though. Get the book.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
sorry, but most of those places are not good hiding places. many a home owner has come home to find their art smashed, their library tossed, their toys shredded, and their kitchen floor covered with all their cereal. another bad place to hide anything is in or under the toilet; B&E criminals always look there.

The best place to store valuables is in a good safe that is properly secured. Thieves tend to leave them alone because they take too long to open.

the tampons might be safe... at least until the thieves read this post.
please reffer us to source for this info........

I took criminology and if I recall correctly 87 % or so of Break and Enters resulted in quick grabbed items, not in someones Louis Lamour collection or encyclopedia britanica's being strewn about, nor the shredding of toys, nor the running to the shytter to examine whats under the lid. These 87 % ( if I recall correctly) were items easily spotted and carried by the perpetrators.

The other 13 % were break and enters where the the perps knew where the items were stored or were Break and enters to seasonal properties.

while I agree that many criminals are not bright, many are not stupid and do not wish to remain in a residence more than needed to do the things you suggest...

sorry just pointing out a fact

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Pull up a tile, from the kitchen counter, remove the grout beneath, and lay a sealed baggie of cash in the hollow, and reseal the tile.

Pull the moulding of a doorway, and use the gap between the jam and the wall.

Inside the hollow cap of your ceiling fan, where it meets the ceiling.

Under and edge of your laminated floor, accessible when the transition from the laminated floor to your regular floor is pried up, and the floor lifted and well.

Behind a brick in your fireplace seat, afterwards resealed.

Behind your dishwasher, under a fake floor panel.

Inside the pole of your floor-standing living room lamp.

Under your floor-bolted safe.

Under your rasied-foundation house, in the floor insulation within a sealed container - in a very hard to reach corner of that hideous crawl space.

Behind drywall.

In one of the "can safes", stored among a whole lot of your food preps... just one in dozens that would have to be opened.

For ladies with the wide and padded bras straps... cut, stuff and sew.

In your dog's nasty dog house pad.

In a small sealed tube, inside your sewer clean-out.

In a garden hose, hanging in the garage.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts