Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for one to carry in or on a B.OB. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Gerber line. Has anyone ever tried them out?

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
The Gerber axes made by fiskars are pretty good, however there is no possible way to replace the handle or head if the two break. I suggest looking at Wetterlings (Bensbackwoods.com) or Gransfors Bruks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Handles on the gerber are not durable, and they have a weird feel, I would choose a Gransfors hatchet. They are hand vrafted and very nice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Gerber/Firkars axes are guaranteed for life against handle breakage. My Fiskars axe cuts green hardwood almost as fast as a small (30-something CC) chainsaw. It cuts through bones of small game and removes their heads so well it's scary. It takes a fantastic edge and holds it well.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
I've seen the handle bend on an estwing but it was being used improperly to pry sideways. I have a estwing framing hammer and an estwing pick. I like the fiskars axe and hatchet also.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
The Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe is recommended by Ray Mears as "the" bushcrafting axe, at 19 inches long and 1.5lb, this would make it ideal for a rucksack carryable camp axe.

Not shown in the picture is its sheath/mask.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
I have used the Gerber Gator combo axe II many times and it lives in my BOB. (This is the medium sized axe and fits easily in my 20" tall pack.) The smaller one with the knife in the handle is a little short. I cut down three leg thick trees with it and it was still super sharp. Top notch quality-I do not skimp for BoB stuff. I would trust it as much as my Glock 21 and leatherman wave. The handle is also non-conductive according to my multi-meter.

http://www.rei.com/product/730548

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
i have several axes and hatchets. i have the little gerber with the knife in the handle. i love it for hiking/ camping. it goes in my bob. granted if you have the option and plan on having to cut a lot of wood something bigger is gonna save you some work. i actually have a strange recomendation too, i bought a small fireman's axe from harbour freight. this thing is awsome. its sharp as heck, has a spike on the back, is just the right medium size handle and overall weight to be multipurpose. it makes a great axe, hatchet and weapon. i painted the red parts green.

·
Registered
255 Posts
<snip> i bought a small fireman's axe from harbour freight. this thing is awsome. its sharp as heck, has a spike on the back, is just the right medium size handle and overall weight to be multipurpose. it makes a great axe, hatchet and weapon. i painted the red parts green.
Do you have an approx length and weight?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a Fiskars. I love the thing. Like the previous post mentioned, it cuts almost as fast as a small chainsaw. I have felled small trees with the things fairly quickly, why waste gas to fire up the chainsaw. It also weights next to nothing.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Do you have an approx length and weight?
heres a pic. a "normal" size hatchet is below it.
measures: 19.5" long including head. 4.5" face 9.5" across head. weight i would guess maybe 2 pounds? 2 1/4 is stamped on the ax head maybe thats the weight. they are $20 at harbor frieght. they have big ones too. the smaller hatchet is also from there it was like $5 or something but mine no longer has them. the smaller one makes an awsome thrower as well as all purpose hatchet.

Attachments

·
Deeds of Flesh
45 Posts
heres a pic. a "normal" size hatchet is below it.
measures: 19.5" long including head. 4.5" face 9.5" across head. weight i would guess maybe 2 pounds? 2 1/4 is stamped on the ax head maybe thats the weight. they are $20 at harbor frieght. they have big ones too. the smaller hatchet is also from there it was like $5 or something but mine no longer has them. the smaller one makes an awsome thrower as well as all purpose hatchet.
That is so cool! I like how you painted it green.. This forum is full of great ideas. Thanks.
Edit:Any idea how I could get one in Canada? Did a search but I'm google impaired.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I like the Estswing axes. I have the hatchet with leather bolster handle and the next size up, with the blue rubber handle. I like the one piece forged concept. Simple with no loose axe heads or handle replacements to contend with. Guess that makes me lazy...LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts