Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently "upgraded" from a 40" TV to a 50" to improve my gaming experience. I have an LG flat screen. It's fairly "state of the art" but I have an issue with it. You can set it to various modes which emit different shades of light. Unfortunately, the gaming mode is probably the darkest screen shade offered but it's the only way I can play any video games smoothly. In other words, if/when I try a lighter mode ... the games become sluggish and herky-jerky.

Does anyone know of a brand that offers a game-friendly, brighter screen?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Certain LG 2019 B9 and C9 series OLED televisions or SM9000 series regular panel televisions are pretty much only ones available right now that support G-Sync variable refresh rate and fast refreshrate, 4K120hz or whatever it was, over HDMI.

That you should pair with a proper GPU, ie. RTX series, that supports those features over HDMI and gaming experience should be pretty nice overall.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
TV? Why not a decent digital projector.
Tons more bang for the buck and huge screen.
My 15 y.o. Daughter even hooked up her own system for a little over $100 and watches a 6x6’ picture on her wall.

Ten years ago my boy and I were gaming on a high def 7’x8’ screen with surround system. Blew everyone’s mind that came over to visit. Nice system for $900, they’ve come down in price since then

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TV? Why not a decent digital projector.
Tons more bang for the buck and huge screen.
My 15 y.o. Daughter even hooked up her own system for a little over $100 and watches a 6x6’ picture on her wall.

Ten years ago my boy and I were gaming on a high def 7’x8’ screen with surround system. Blew everyone’s mind that came over to visit. Nice system for $900, they’ve come down in price since then
How far from the wall does the projector have to be in order to get a good, crisp picture?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
How far from the wall does the projector have to be in order to get a good, crisp picture?
Mine was mounted overhead above us, projecting about 15 feet away, but picture size is adjustable. Some projectors today can be setup on the floor directly against the viewing wall. I project directly against a white painted wall, but custom screens can enhance the experience.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yes. Xbox One X.
There's two concepts to consider here. One is refresh rate (hz) and resolution (HD, 4K..) Expensive displays can give you both high refresh and high resolution, but if you're playing console games then anything over 60 hz refresh is a waste.

Xbox One can go up to 120 hz, but it looks like there's almost no games that utilize it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

Depends on how big picture you need. I'm just going to state that I WANT ONE. That screen with ultra short throw fabric is ridiculously expensive. ~3k for the 120" screen and about 2k for laser projector.

There is also similar motorized screens for much cheaper but they have different fabric.

My current plan for movie setup is
1st replace current projector with 1080p laser projector.***
2nd replace current ceiling mounted screen with motorized one
3rd replace 1080p projector with 4k one.

My current setup is ceiling mounted screen from some school, I bought it for 70€ few years ago. Projector is something that I got for free, it has almost burnt out lamp. Movies are so dark that they are borderline unwatchable :D: So that setup does not see much use these days.

***This is regular, non-laser version.

The magic word these days is Ultra Short Throw. Setup like those don't need much more room than a regular TV set.

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
I recently "upgraded" from a 40" TV to a 50" to improve my gaming experience. I have an LG flat screen. It's fairly "state of the art" but I have an issue with it. You can set it to various modes which emit different shades of light. Unfortunately, the gaming mode is probably the darkest screen shade offered but it's the only way I can play any video games smoothly. In other words, if/when I try a lighter mode ... the games become sluggish and herky-jerky.

Does anyone know of a brand that offers a game-friendly, brighter screen?
Maybe a dumb question...but isn't there a way to adjust brightness after you set the mode?

I use an LG, it also has various modes of light, but between the TV settings and the game itself, I can usually make it plenty bright.

I have found that I prefer to set them slightly lighter than the games typically suggest.

You know that thing during game install and setup where they say "adjust until you can barely see the logo" or some such thing? I make it a few steps brighter, and then the games look better, for me.

I also have some light in the room. I HATE playing games or watching movies in complete darkness. I think that makes the LG sensors lighten up some as well.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Xiaomi 4K laser projector on 120'' Floor Rising ALR Projection Screen - YouTube

Depends on how big picture you need. I'm just going to state that I WANT ONE. That screen with ultra short throw fabric is ridiculously expensive. ~3k for the 120" screen and about 2k for laser projector.

There is also similar motorized screens for much cheaper but they have different fabric.

My current setup is ceiling mounted screen from some school, I bought it for 70€ few years ago. Projector is something that I got for free, it has almost burnt out lamp. Movies are so dark that they are borderline unwatchable :D: So that setup does not see much use these days.

The magic word these days is Ultra Short Throw. Setup like those don't need much more room than a regular TV set.
$5k? Worth every cent!

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe a dumb question...but isn't there a way to adjust brightness after you set the mode?

I use an LG, it also has various modes of light, but between the TV settings and the game itself, I can usually make it plenty bright.

I have found that I prefer to set them slightly lighter than the games typically suggest.

You know that thing during game install and setup where they say "adjust until you can barely see the logo" or some such thing? I make it a few steps brighter, and then the games look better, for me.

I also have some light in the room. I HATE playing games or watching movies in complete darkness. I think that makes the LG sensors lighten up some as well.
After I set the mode ... I brightened it as much as I could. When it's "nighttime" in the game ... it's difficult to see. I have poor night vision to begin with. The only way I can play is to turn off all of my lights and draw the curtain shades. However, playing with all of the room lights off creates a strain on my eyes as well. Like you, I prefer the lights on but with a bright screen. So I'm in the market for something that fits the bill.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Xiaomi 4K laser projector on 120'' Floor Rising ALR Projection Screen - YouTube

When I get my first million ... I'll go this route. Hahaha. :D:

It really sounds awesome and would love a set up like that. But I'm just a blue collar, working stiff so I have to stay within a low budget.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Same here. I didn't say how many years that plan will take :D Maybe I'll get the 4K projector as a hand-me-down when I retire in... hopefully less than 20 years :p

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Buy Vizio, I bought a 4k 50 inch (when it's not cold) for under 400 dollars on Amazon two years ago. Worth every penny.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Whoops I did it again...
https://www.mi.com/global/mi-laser-projector-150

It was 400€ off the normal retail price last weekend so I kind of impulsively ordered one. I might have been my birthday present too :) Now I probably need a new screen too. I was totally unprepared for this.

The unit I ordered is the older 1080p version but it is western version with english menus.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I can't use a Raspberry Pi on many TVs ( not a realistic gaming platform ). The PI screen is too big for the display. A very few TVs have a "Just make it fit" option for the HDMI input. I would look for that if I had access to a monitor and a remote before buying.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

Almost two weeks later (it was delayed twice) the projector arrived yesterday. First thing I noticed was that my current screen is not even. It's old and apparently now I have a reason to replace it next... Images are disturbingly distorted when there are direct lines or shapes on screen.

Still many things to fix, like I have no proper height stand for it. Integrated soundbar is more than enough, although I do have multispeaker system already so now I have options. Since it has built-in Android TV and chromecast, I can install apps on it. HD Homerun app works perfectly, so now I essentially have a huge TV too.

·
Goat Roper
1,257 Posts
I too have to go a little brighter than the game recommendations, but I do that with my PC also. I cant stand not being able to see the BAD GUYS when I am hunting them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts