Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Recently misplaced an old Fiskars Folding saw I've used for years. I began using my "cheap" backup, and it's already coming apart, and the handle bending were the saw blade attaches(blade cuts fine)
I know there are Gerber's, and all sorts you can probably choose a great one from about anyone now.....I just prefer asking now, than buying. That's the great thing we all bring to this site. What Folding Saw do Y'all use, Frequently, and have held up best over time? Most if the cheap ones even have a blade with Great sawing ability now, the $8 no name brands, just don't hold up. Thanks

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard nothing but good about them. Was already thinking it's about time to have one for larger sawing jobs. Heck, I've built many shelters and taken large trees with only my knife. A good thing to know you can do work with little, makes you appreciate tools like saws that you can store and pack with ease. Thanks much

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Bahco,Silky,Opinel all cut really well & I haven't seen any sign of any of them wearing out or breaking even after using them quite often.

The Silkys & Opinel give a little smoother cut than the Bahco but any of them would be a good choice.

Cliff

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
either tha BAHCO lapplander saw,P/N 396-LAP brother, or if you can find one, a spyderco "spydersaw" think they bringing them back off discontinued. paid 25$ for mine last year,the BAHCO costs 18.00$ on amazon, and is a 7 tpi,9" cuttin SOB.green or dry, it just eats.:D:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bahco,Silky,Opinel all cut really well & I haven't seen any sign of any of them wearing out or breaking even after using them quite often.

The Silkys & Opinel give a little smoother cut than the Bahco but any of them would be a good choice.

Cliff
Thanks Cliff, nice set up, I gotta keep at least 5 around (the kids), that Opinel is just "Country Cool" Bro;)

Cliff

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
either tha BAHCO lapplander saw,P/N 396-LAP brother, or if you can find one, a spyderco "spydersaw" think they bringing them back off discontinued. paid 25$ for mine last year,the BAHCO costs 18.00$ on amazon, and is a 7 tpi,9" cuttin SOB.green or dry, it just eats.:D:
I like them Bro;) I want something like that. I like the Sven, but would like to know how deep it cuts. I'm about to Rehandle some if my Late Grandpa Carney's old Cross cuts this Summer(arm permitting) and me and my 23 year old, are gonna build, a Real Hut, out of Raw wood...something cool and fun, "plus, it's a Family Tradition, knowing that's how they built their first homes!
With limited old tools, and every Axe, Old Axe/Sledge heads, saws will be the ones the first Carney's that Migrated down here, used to build with. I have so many wood working tools that blacksmithed, and you know what that means, to make the tool, to make the thing you are gonna build!
I'm not going to use the folding Saw's for that Bud;)
But you know me, I want to know what's really being used, by you, Cliff, Chop's, etc...because theirs new stuff every year, and older stuff, that I may not know about. You know me, I want one that saws, but can handle Hard Use. Everything I do is Hard, and if my tools can't cut it, its time for new tools!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have both a Bahco Laplander and a 15" Svensaw, both of them are great for what I would call medium-duty work, limbing trees, cutting smaller trees for firewood, etc. The Sven cuts up to 8" thick trees easily, the Laplander will make you work for that.

However, I find myself carrying the Laplander more and more. I have gotten to where I just build a small fire, and small limbs are all I usually harvest. For that, the Bahco is worth its weight in gold.

One nice thing about the Svensaw is you can get replacement blades instead of tossing the whole thing. IF I was bugging out on a long term run, I'd carry one spare blade.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have both a Bahco Laplander and a 15" Svensaw, both of them are great for what I would call medium-duty work, limbing trees, cutting smaller trees for firewood, etc. The Sven cuts up to 8" thick trees easily, the Laplander will make you work for that.

However, I find myself carrying the Laplander more and more. I have gotten to where I just build a small fire, and small limbs are all I usually harvest. For that, the Bahco is worth its weight in gold.

One nice thing about the Svensaw is you can get replacement blades instead of tossing the whole thing. IF I was bugging out on a long term run, I'd carry one spare blade.
Thanks for the info Bro;)
8" on the Sven, plenty big enough for shelter. I will be getting one.. Do they have Different blades(hardwood/softwood,medium, Coarse? Something for the BOB For Sure. I mean, that's very easy to pack, with more punch than pack, the kind of things you could be Very Glad you added it, in the "Right" scenario, (plus everyday woods and yard work. Making my own "Turkey" blinds.. I have access to all the "tent like" blinds, the club's use, and they think I'm a Wild man cause I make my own....but I get Turkey, and enjoy making "Natural" blinds. Thanks again my Friend!

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya need to get a couple of these then brother, for squareing up, and one of these for notching in.
I've got some lays that my Great Grandpa Sam Carney made, over 100 years ago Goblin..I'll have to start a thread on "Handmade Tools /Old Tools" to post some of the Old stuff I have that's been passed down, and still work.
When an 80-100 year old Swedish Wood saw (with the "Dragon" Etched handles, still work, it speaks loads about Quality Bro. I wonder what knives we have that will be still use able a Century from now;)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Once I started using Silky Saws all the rest of them looked second rate!

I have every thing from a pole saw (actually two) to some folders.

They are my standard tree work/trimming/pruning saws that keep the Stihl in the barn more times than not until things get serious!

SD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.