Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Bugged out already
I that old Ford tractor, and nice looking spread!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of your replies! I'm not savvy enough to reply to each one, but I read them all and appreciate it.

nice ,,like the pines ,,,and soil looks like sandy? what sort of grow zone? plan to grow on it?
Not sure what grow zone. Coastal southeast, maybe 40 miles inland? Yes, it's a sandy/loam mix, and quite fertile.

I've planted some berries and fruit trees and they're doing well. I'm not living there yet, but plan to in the next few years, to coincide with retirement.

Registered
cool deal ,,self build?

please keep us posted ,,,its amazing what i have picked up from other homesteaders here and every thread we can keep running encourages another to start on the same path

i am sure you know there is a ton of work to do ,,,but its the most satisfying day of work i have ever done ,,,to see something you own become better

Registered
I sure hope the deal I am working on right now will lead to me making a post like this of my own very soon.

I am working on buying a more rural of property with lots of acreage, woods, ponds, a small stream on one corner, out buildings, etc.

I plan to say goodbye to this urban living, build a better life, start my own business, and even bring a couple current and former MAG members there with me.

Part of it was inspired by prepping, part by being tired of working crap wage and crap hours for someone else to profit off. I want to work for myself and towards something other than a boss' profit margin.

I want to do something where I can see, first hand, the results of my labors.

Registered
I don't know
Love the tractor My 8N is the workhorse in the woods. I hope you keep us up to date on what you've been up to. This kind of post is what I enjoy reading.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool deal ,,self build?

please keep us posted ,,,its amazing what i have picked up from other homesteaders here and every thread we can keep running encourages another to start on the same path

i am sure you know there is a ton of work to do ,,,but its the most satisfying day of work i have ever done ,,,to see something you own become better
Yes, self-build, or hoping to!

Planning on a 40'W x80'L x16'H "Barndominium". Thought about an ICF house, but the barndominium meets our needs and budget better.

I'll try and keep posting on our progress, things we learn along the way. Thanks!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I sure hope the deal I am working on right now will lead to me making a post like this of my own very soon.

I am working on buying a more rural of property with lots of acreage, woods, ponds, a small stream on one corner, out buildings, etc.

I plan to say goodbye to this urban living, build a better life, start my own business, and even bring a couple current and former MAG members there with me.

Part of it was inspired by prepping, part by being tired of working crap wage and crap hours for someone else to profit off. I want to work for myself and towards something other than a boss' profit margin.

I want to do something where I can see, first hand, the results of my labors.
I know what you're talking about, and I certainly hope you are able to get your land and realize your dreams.

Truly, few things are more satisfying.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love the tractor My 8N is the workhorse in the woods. I hope you keep us up to date on what you've been up to. This kind of post is what I enjoy reading.
Thanks Fen! I was looking for an 8n, or similar, when this Ford 3000 diesel popped up in the classifieds in a local paper. That was late 90's, before internet or cell phones, for most of us. Paid $2500 and it came with a bush hog.

I had to replace the old bush hog and get the tractor engine rebuilt, but it's been a good investment overall.
Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's the real hero.

1994 Cat 426 Turbo 4x4, heat/AC. Got it cheap, after the housing/construction crash.

I have over 40 acres, so these aren't just nice to have. They're necessities.

I'm not wealthy, by any means. Probably more like lower middle-class. But, I work hard and have a good reputation and have helped many people out with this equipment, so it has pretty much paid for itself.
Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

Registered
So looking forward to having a property and the projects I can use machinery like that on.... man I can't wait....

Reactions: Magilla

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By "barndominium", do you mean a setup like many of the older farmhouses over in Germany, with the bottom part being the barn, with the upper part being the living quarters?
More like this, house on one side, shop on the other.
Plant Shade Building Tree Land lot

This is pretty much what we're working on. All steel and concrete. No bugs, no rot,etc. 50 year guarantee, 150mph wind rating.

Finished price under $100/square ft.

A comparable stick-built or ICF is 2-3 times as much, and require much more maintenance and don't have a garage/shop area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts