Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually I wear canadian garrison army boots, but it's hard to find real ones nowadays for a good price. Im looking to buy a new pair of boots in the 150-200 dollar price range, just wondering if anyone has experience with any boots they would reccomend. I was thinking about getting a pair of rocky bear claws or s2v combat boots but im not sure about composite materials in boots, the only boots ive ever had were pure leather, is the durability of cordura similar to leather?

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
IMHO you can not go wrong with any product from Terra.

http://www.terrafootwear.com/

I have had couple pairs and they were tough as rocks. I had one pair of all ballistic nylon from them and it took a few axe hits with minimal damage. Oddly, Terra does not seem to make anything like that model any more.

The thing I like about Terra is they still sell boots with a simple design. The Fahrenheit and Falcon are only three or four pieces of leather. Fewer seams to leak. No pinch points to wear out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'd recommend you check out Matterhorn boots, mine are the nicest boots I've ever had, comfortable,fairly light, and completely waterproof.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've had several different varieties of boots over the years and the absolute best I've ever had were the genuine US Army boots and all of my ROCKY brand boots.
Sadly, the genuine Army boots are no longer available, at least around here, there are only Chinese knock-offs that kill my dawgs, they bark LOUDLY.
My ROCKYs are all I use now, they are the most comfortable sets of boots I have.
I have a pair of BearClaw Snake Boots I wear when hunting the swamps I sometimes inhabit and my daily wear is a pair of steel toes. I also have some pairs of low rise hunting boots by Sportsmans Guide, GuideGear brand, that are pretty comfortable but, the ROCKYs are the best.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I prefer Han Wags GTX, they are very comfortable and sturdy. I also wear Meindl Army Gore, they are also comfortable and have a harder leather which will take more abuse, like a Mountain boot. Both of these makes I believe are German made and are highly thought of here in Ireland, the previous Danner boots I had were very comfortable but I personally found the heel area of the sole to wear out very quickly when being used over hard terrain. But what suits one may not suit another !

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, still undecided but im partial to rocky boots as of now. Im concerned about the heel wearing danner boots as that's the first part of my boots that wears out, then inside of the toe gives out. I put boots through a lot more abuse then most people because I carry a 80 litre pack full of gear, food water and dog food around canada for a good part of the year.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Bates!

Usually I wear canadian garrison army boots, but it's hard to find real ones nowadays for a good price. Im looking to buy a new pair of boots in the 150-200 dollar price range, just wondering if anyone has experience with any boots they would reccomend. I was thinking about getting a pair of rocky bear claws or s2v combat boots but im not sure about composite materials in boots, the only boots ive ever had were pure leather, is the durability of cordura similar to leather?
I'm still wearing the boots I was issued four years ago in basic training. The brand name is BATES, but I couldn't find the model on Bate's website.

The closest thing I found was:

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/Product/NP/Military/8-inch-Tropical-SEALs-DuraShocks.aspx

Either way, I'm sure those boots would be just as durable. They're *INCREDIBLY* comfortable.

I've put these boots through four years in the Army, and wore them every day during my offduty ventures. I don't have experience with any other boots, but I will never buy another boot/shoe again. This boot is AMAZING!

The cordura isn't ripped or scuffed. This might have something to do with the fact that, when I polish the boots, I also rub some polish into the cordura. I don't know. Maybe cordura is naturally that resilient.

These boots have been through unimaginable trials, and have NOTHING wrong with them. No sole peelage, no frayed seams, no fluffed cordura, NOTHING. I polish them once every six months or so.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Danner all the way, best boots on Earth.
I second Danners I had a pair that lasted 5 years in the Army and i only had to have them re-soled once. well worth the money.

And the Mattehorns would be a close second. They are good boots too.

I am refering to these boots in a military/tactical setting.

·
Refuse, Resist
142 Posts
I wear Highlander Combat A.T.F Sympatex boots. Incredibly hard wearing and really comfortable. The pair I'm wearing at the moment I've had since 2003. They've seen a lot of rough use but are still as good as new. Cost £60-70. Not sure if you can buy them in the US though.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
od green jungle boot work for me $50
we were issued the OD jungle boots when we went to Panama for a deployment and Jungle Expert school, they were good boots but that steel shank killed my feet. I pulled it out and put in an aftermarket insole and they were much better.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I got some Carolina boots. Not too comfortable (motorcycle style) but they sure have lasted a long time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Brasher hiking boots from the Uk.....reasonably priced(between £80 to £100 odd)..think you`ll be able to buy on line

1 - 20 of 32 Posts