Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pusher of brooms
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, got an M1 Garand back after 25 years.

Aside from an Ultimak mount and adjustable gas plug, what ideas do you have for putting it into service?

Already has a sling, have clips here somewhere.

And no, not going to sell it for something "better", so no point wasting the time and ink to put that down.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
I think the Ultimak and a good red dot would be a good choice.

Gas plug too.

Those, and a good sling, and as many clips you can scrounge/find, especially if you plan on using this gun for anything serious.

If youre going to single load, get a SLED.

Olongapo has some good stuff. Ive ordered some of their pouches, and some not to long ago.

·
Pusher of brooms
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chuck the Ultimak mount

?
Why no Ultimak mount?
From what I read, it is the only mount that allows cowitnessing, while not something I normally care about, it means that a scope can be mounted lower than other options.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why no Ultimak mount?
From what I read, it is the only mount that allows cowitnessing, while not something I normally care about, it means that a scope can be mounted lower than other options.
the few I've seen were pretty dang floppy - perhaps bubba owners installed them wrong?

i guess inside 100 yards might not make a lot of difference

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
Ive had Ultimaks on a number of AK's, and they are rock solid, even after 20 years or so. I cant imagine any of them would be "floppy".

They are well made, and have a mil-spec rail.

Ive been thinking about putting one on one of my M1 Carbines, just not sure I want to go that route with them though. They are awful handy as they come.

If I were to get another M1 or M1A, it would be something I definitely would add.

My SOCOM's factory rail was junk and sat to high to be useful. The Ultimaks keep things low (not sure if the cowitness on the M1's though, they do the AK's)

The factory rail on the SOCOM was also made of steel, and got hot very quickly, and retained that heat. The Ultimalks are aluminum, and may get warm, but not hot, and shed heat quickly. Ive shot my AK's to the point you couldnt touch the barrel with a bare hand, and the Ultimak was just warm.

·
Registered
158 Posts
handled maybe 3 or 4 at range day as RO - there was definite side to side wiggle in them - maybe just ran into guys that didn't mount them correctly - that said a solid / basic optic on a garand would be quite nice

Ive had Ultimaks on a number of AK's, and they are rock solid, even after 20 years or so. I cant imagine any of them would be "floppy".

They are well made, and have a mil-spec rail.

Ive been thinking about putting one on one of my M1 Carbines, just not sure I want to go that route with them though. They are awful handy as they come.

If I were to get another M1 or M1A, it would be something I definitely would add.

My SOCOM's factory rail was junk and sat to high to be useful. The Ultimaks keep things low (not sure if the cowitness on the M1's though, they do the AK's)

The factory rail on the SOCOM was also made of steel, and got hot very quickly, and retained that heat. The Ultimalks are aluminum, and may get warm, but not hot, and shed heat quickly. Ive shot my AK's to the point you couldnt touch the barrel with a bare hand, and the Ultimak was just warm.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
handled maybe 3 or 4 at range day as RO - there was definite side to side wiggle in them - maybe just ran into guys that didn't mount them correctly - that said a solid / basic optic on a garand would be quite nice
It must not have been. They shouldnt move at all.

If put on right, and theres no rocket science to it, they are rock solid. They even tell you you dont need thread locker, although its fine to use it. I didnt use it on mine, and its been about 20 years now, and its still tight.

Are you sure it was actually an Ultimak? There are a lot of other similar things, a lot of which are basically airsoft, and not even in the same ball park.

·
Padre in the woods
722 Posts
Long story short, got an M1 Garand back after 25 years.
I'll tell you right now, Late2Prep, I'm jealous. Always wanted one.

However, least year I did get the M1A with ATN X-Sight 4K Pro 5-20x scope for hog hunting. At 67, I don't have the will to hunt with a 357 handgun. I'd rather take them from afar, and not have to deal with ****ed off pork.

·
Registered
34,319 Posts
I have over a dozen ultimak rails.
Highest round count 20,000+

No side to side or other "wiggle of any kind" on any of them.

95% chance not name brand ultimak.

I don't even know how side to side would be possible even if incorrectly installed. the way the screws go in up and down is what would be possible if you are a complete moron and can't tighten a screw.

100% recommend ultimak rails.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts