Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of info on firearms but looking to go hunting for the first time this year for deer, in Maine :D:, been shooting for years just never hunting. Wondering what people would recommend for ammo since I want to start sighting/practicing shooting. I have a Savage 10FXP in .308. My friend Ill be hunting with swears by Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. Any ideas, preferences, bad experiences? Thanks for the input.

·
Immortal
1,411 Posts
Use whatever soft point (not a fully jacketed bullet) ammo shoots accurately in your rifle. It may be different than your friend's rifle. Some of mine love one kind of ammo, others not that brand. Basically - buy a box and try it. If it shoots well, use it.

·
Registered
11,315 Posts
Deer are easy for a 308. Any expanding bullet is fine.Buy some differnt types,shoot some groups and see what YOUR rifle likes best then stock up on that round.The Ballistic silvertip is wonderful but we are talking Deer. If we were talking Elk or Moose I would prefer a deeper penetrating Bullet like and X bullet from Barnes,or an A frame from Swift. There are others too but still buy some differnt rounds and shoot some groups and go from there.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
They have some non-lead 300wm ammo at a nearby gun store for $78 per 20,... it must be really good.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
i use whatevers on hand
but honestly it doesnt matter what centerfire round you use as long as your proficient with it as if you miss the heart and lungs your deer is going to run a good while before dying regardless of ammunition preference

Reactions: Groovy Mike

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I know right??? They are insanely smooth to work, Especially if you got one from between wars.

Awesome guns.
i sold mine few years back because its hard o find 303 ammo and when i can its prety expencive traded it in for and got a finn m39 for it 7.63x54 but it was a great shooting gun been thinking bout getting one and striping it to the action and do a build up but have lots of other stuff needing doing before i entertaine anythoughts like that

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
i sold mine few years back because its hard o find 303 ammo and when i can its prety expencive traded it in for and got a finn m39 for it 7.63x54 but it was a great shooting gun been thinking bout getting one and striping it to the action and do a build up but have lots of other stuff needing doing before i entertaine anythoughts like that
Well!!!! I found some surplus at about .55 cents a round that isn't paki and is reloadable brass!

PM if your interested and i'll send the link. (I dont want anyone else to buy it because there isn't much, and people are to dumb to look for it on google.)

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Well!!!! I found some surplus at about .55 cents a round that isn't paki and is reloadable brass!

PM if your interested and i'll send the link. (I dont want anyone else to buy it because there isn't much, and people are to dumb to look for it on google.)
im good like i said i sold mine few years back now sitting on a 15000 rnd pile of russian 7.62x54r i got pretty much all the firearms ill ever concievably need but thanks for the offer

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
im good like i said i sold mine few years back now sitting on a 15000 rnd pile of russian 7.62x54r i got pretty much all the firearms ill ever concievably need but thanks for the offer
What?!?!?!

Your done buying?!?!?!

How is it possible for a man to have enough guns??? How many guns you have, and how big the calibre, determines how much of a man you are!

:thumb:

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
What?!?!?!

Your done buying?!?!?!

How is it possible for a man to have enough guns??? How many guns you have, and how big the calibre, determines how much of a man you are!

:thumb:
lol i have enough ammo guns and gear for a platoon of people
my focus is sustainable agriculture and infrastructure at the moment
and also getting better with some of the more primitive skills like flint knapping

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
lol i have enough ammo guns and gear for a platoon of people
my focus is sustainable agriculture and infrastructure at the moment
and also getting better with some of the more primitive skills like flint knapping
Shew, agriculture... last year i tried to grow about 100 stalks of corn... Enough for what??? a week or two for a family and relatives???

Hard work, i'm just better living off food stamps and section 8 housing. :thumb:

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Shew, agriculture... last year i tried to grow about 100 stalks of corn... Enough for what??? a week or two for a family and relatives???

Hard work, i'm just better living off food stamps and section 8 housing. :thumb:
when i say sustainable i mean things that come back year after year fruit trees nut trees planting few acres of pine trees for use as timber ect we have a good sized garden every year round 50'x70' and chickens ect

1 - 20 of 23 Posts