Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since our recent presidential election, I've notice alot more people are thinking about purchasing guns and ammo. Someday, I want to buy something along the lines of an modern military rifle or good hunting semi auto. The days of getting these for much long are likely numbered.

I have no concern over big capacities or any interested in ever making it fully auto. I just want a quick 2nd or 3rd shot. I already have a .30-30, 22lr bolt, and a 20 gauge shotgun. I do varmit hunt so a .223 is tempting. I could be wrong, but I have heard the 7.62x39 has similar power and trajectory to the .30-30. I could use something in a flatter trajectory than a 30-30. Something you could take a 300 yard shot on without needing a rangefinder to get within 2-3 inches of drop. This doesn't have to be a military based rifle, it could be a hunting rifle. I do have to make it capable of having less than 6 rounds to make it legal for hunting. Also, I am left handed but right eye dominate, so some raised sights like a m16 is a very nice touch.

I'd prefer to stay under 1,000, but could pay some more for a quality firearm. A .30-30 semi auto would be considered too, if anyone makes them. The only bells and whistles I'd consider is a detachable scope and tatical light for coyote hunting. But any firearm can be easily adapted. Being cross dominate, it makes that 2nd quick shot tougher with lever-actions.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
I agree that a .308 is the round you are looking for. Maybe a Remington 7600. Otherwise you are looking at a FAL or AR-10. I understand Remington is now making a hunting version of the AR-10 too. Gaads, I left out my favorite rifle and the one I own, the M1A.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That SKS doesn't look too bad. What are the better or worse models to buy? Looking for a model that might be well suited for a deer rifle too. Any longer barrels? Do these rifles take regular AK cartirdges? Are 5 round cartirdges available? Know if anyone makes a raised open sight for it?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Any SKS is good IMO.

They all come with the same barrel length except the paratrooper and its shorter.

Only a certain model will take AK mags and they are hard to find. Standard SKS comes with a fixed magazine that can be removed to use after market magazines.

I think there is a replacement rear sight but havent seen one in awhile. You can get a scope mount that will attach to the left side of the frame. Just drill and tap 4 holes.

If you don't have anything now and can find a SKS in decent shape for a decent price get it. You can always sell it later, maybe for a profit.

If you can spend about $1,200 get a Springfield M1A .308. If you can find one. I think I waited too long myself. :(

·
Registered
265 Posts
Attached is a screenshot comparing a 7.62 x 39 soft point 123 grain vs. a 30-30 soft point 150 grain. Maybe someone else can correct me but from what I have read the SKS is better suited for the 100-150 yard range.

The screenie is from the free Remington Shoot you can download here: Download LINK

I have been told to zero my SKS at 100 yards so that's what I set this program to but the target is 300 yards like the OP questioned:

7.62 x 39 @300 yards (in blue)
Velocity: 1529 Fps
Energy: 638 Ft-lbs
Drop: 37.83 inches

30-30 @300 yards (in red)

Velocity: 1305 Fps
Energy: 567 Ft-lbs
Drop: 42.5 inches

The SKS has less drop and more energy than the 30-30 at 300 yards (but this will change if you used 170 grain 30-30).

This brings up a question I have for you gurus: how much Ft-lbs do you need to bring a "target" down?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at these number the 7.62x39 is a little better, but not by much. I have to look into changing that magazine to make it legal to hunt. I work with someone who has a SKS, he did deer hunt with it too. I guess 400 or less is what they go for, which isn't bad at all. The the same price as other, I could get alot of ammo and a 2nd gun.

Are certain country and dates better for the SKS. What commonly fails on them? How does the recoil compare to either a marlin 30-30 or a regular weight savage 30-06

I'm findin alot of these types of rifles are on backorder, except the one that cost over $2000. M1A's are nice. Any kind of bulk ammo has problems in the SKS?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looking at these number the 7.62x39 is a little better, but not by much. I have to look into changing that magazine to make it legal to hunt. I work with someone who has a SKS, he did deer hunt with it too. I guess 400 or less is what they go for, which isn't bad at all. The the same price as other, I could get alot of ammo and a 2nd gun.

Are certain country and dates better for the SKS. What commonly fails on them? How does the recoil compare to either a marlin 30-30 or a regular weight savage 30-06

I'm findin alot of these types of rifles are on backorder, except the one that cost over $2000. M1A's are nice. Any kind of bulk ammo has problems in the SKS?
As far as the SKS price, you might want to check military-surplus shops instead of online sites like Gunbroker or Gunsamerica. I bought an SKS for $199 about two weeks ago. The place I got mine had 30-40 at that price when I first went to get mine and I wouldn't be surprised if they ran out already. It was about an hours drive but it was worth it considering how cheap gas is today.

·
Registered
559 Posts
You said in your original post you wanted something suitable for varmint hunting. I would not recomend anything in 7.62x39 as your range and accuracy will be limited as compared to some more conventional varmint calibers.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I did say that about small game and long distance shot. The SKS is inexpensive, so it appealed to my cheap side. Whats an inexpensive but quality 223 out there. I don't care etiher way if if looked like an ar or m16. Most 308's out there sound like they're reliable. But some 223's don't sound reliable. Bells and whistles aren't necesary, I do need a rifle stock though. Seems NYC gets uptight about folding stocks and pistol grips on semi-autos.

I looked at a larger online gun shop, they have a ruger mini-14, a brown bar, and a keltec. All have regular rifle stocks and come in 223.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Well, if you get the Ruger get the the heavy barrel model and buy extra Ruger magazines. The BAR is an awsome rifle if you can afford it but remember it is a hunting rifle and not a survival rifle. It's action and design is not set up for sustained fire, the Ruger is patterned after the M-14. The Keltec has not been around long enough and has had enough early problems to be out of the question. I had not included the SKS or mini because their ballistics do not match your original question parameters.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Varmits

I love the .223, and the .270, both great rounds. The .223 does climb coming out of the barrel, and starts dropping around200-250 yds. The .270, flat, great weapon.

Key here is, what weapons do you want, and which ones is MR. OBAMA gonna attack first???

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The Ruger Mini-14 can be had in the 7.62x39, the .223 and I believe now they are offering it in the 6.8 Rem. (which would be a 300 yd. gun.)

No one questions the Ruggedness of the Mini-14. But they have not been know for exceptional accuracy in the past. They are supposed to be building them different now to improve the accuracy - but I don't know.

I do have a friend that bought one back in the 90's (a .223) and has always been very happy with his. Adequate accuracy and rock solid reliability.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Rifle&subtype=Autoloading&famlst=20

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sustained fire isn't an issue to me. Just a few succesive shots that I can reaim quickly with. With the SKS, I can get that and a good reserve of ammo and still have some leftover money to purchase a dedicated varmit hunting rifle, like a savage 24 single shot combo in 223 and either 12 or 20 gauge. A 7.62x39 round seems to bahve like a 30-30. IF you know how a 30-30 trajectory acts well, then the outter range of a 30-30 or similar round is extended. You just need practice at gauging wind a bit better and need to practice at judging distance.

Besides, these kind of arms are liley to be used in close range. If something is that far away, then likely you keep low and let it pass by.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts