Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first post so hopefully im doing this right. Im looking to get a semi-auto .308 win with around a 20 rd mag capacity. I will be using the gun for home defense, deer hunting, and just some long range target shooting for fun. I want a gun that is as accurate as possible. Hopefully with a few mods it will be able to shoot MOA or better. I have a $2000 dollar budget and I have been really looking at the springfiled M1A and the DPMS sass. I would really appreciate some input on these two weapons as well as any others that fit that description. Ive heard a lot of good things about the M1A but the sass is fairly new and I havent heard that much about it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The main and best options are the civilian version of the M14 or the FN FAL rifle. Both have detachable 20 rd mags and are semi auto . Now, if interested in a rifle with rail mounts, springfield does offer a version of the M1A with factory rails to add accessories. Not sure if any FN type does yet or will.

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
I have a M1A Scout,

It is my go to gun, I trust it, it performs and it is a proven setup. I have shot 2" groups at 300 !!!!

I would say a quality FAL is good to. Problem they have is thier triggers. its hard to get a decent and safe pull. It by no means come close to the National Match trigger group mine came with.

The both have there plus and negitives. I was attacted to a AR-10 when looking for my M1A. I disliked thier reliabillity, expensive mags, and oversized feel. They have came along way since then and may be worth a look. I would lean towards Armalight and stay away from DPMS or Bushmaster. They still havent worked out all the bugs, at least the ones I have seen.

The new M1A SOCOM is a nice unit !

Something like this still gets me all wet.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10SB&Category=f4bd4a13-55d1-41aa-aea0-49488ec48776

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that armalite is a beaut. I think I just might have to save up for a little while longer and get that one. I have heard that the bushmaster ar-10 had a lot of problems and I think it got discontinued. But a dpms ar-10 won rifle of the year in '06 i think. If anyone has had any experience with the dpms sass i would love to hear about it. If it is a good rifle, I would love to save the 1k.

·
Registered
176 Posts
M-1-A

Its a great rifle.
Accurate.
Accessories, parts, repair services all available.
USGI Mags are a bit pricey.
Can be built into a supremely accurate rifle.
I think the stock iron sights are about the best you can find.
Its a large somewhat heavy gun but you'll love shooting it.
Made in the U.S.
You won't regret the purchase.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I love my.308 Saiga conversion, except it is a 4 to 5 moa gun. The plus it they are very++ reliable and inexpensive. Hi cap mags are plentiful and affordable. I have been concentrating on AK style rifles for me and my family so there is no learning curve switching between my 3 in 7.62x39, my 2 in .223, the .308, 12 guage and little .22 rimfire. All these rifles load, ****, safe, and shoot the same. I don't think that can be said for any other Military weapons system. The AR is close except for there are really no shotguns in the group.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
M1A, H&K-91 (PTR-91...US made). Try them out and see how they feel to you. Keep in mind that H&K mags are dirt cheap and very reliable.

The PTRs come with a heavy trigger, something around 12lbs!! But, they can be brought down to 5 or 6 on a short pull.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
Saiga .308, 21.8" barrel, spare magazines, and then 10 battle packs of 7.62X51 NATO ammunition. All that should come under $2K.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
M1A all the way. there a bit pricey but there well worth the money

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Another vote for the M1A if you want to approach MOA.
Not the SOCOM mind you the M1A loaded with the stainless barrel is about 1800 but if you look around you can find one cheaper.

The H&K were accurate if you got a good one and a dog if you didn't the CETME version of the same rifle was even more hit or miss as they were issued usually.
The PTR is very nice but as Jericho said the triggers suck.

Saiga .308s are nice and if I ever get my finances back in order one is on my list.
They are minute of barn door but I'm told by several guys who I know that have them theirs are surprisingly accurate with the 16" barrel.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a PTR 91 carbine, I only put around 250 rnds through but it is very high quality. They are made here in the US on the same machinery as the HK's were. The mags are real cheap, from $2 used to $5 for new in wrapper and most of the HK furniture will fit.
The trigger is a little heavy but I haven't found it annoying yet. You can get an original German Hensoldt Fero 4x scope and HK claw mount for $340 to $400 for the set with original box and all, they are quick detachable and remain zeroed. The only issue I had with mine was using some older mags that didn't feed right, I bought a bulk set and sorted out the bad ones. Using nicer mags I did some rapid fire tesing and all is good.

The DSA arms STG-58 FAL is a nice gun too with mags only a little higher. I'd like to get one of them someday too.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
In Viet Nam I was lucky enough to get to use an XM-21 sniper rifle. I can attest to the accuracy of the M-14/M-21/M-1A rifles with National Match 7.62 ammo. They are just great for accuracy shooting!! I have owned two M-1A rifles and plan to eventually own a third one soon. Most people have seen this photo of me with a feral pig that I shot one day while I was on a patrol. I've attached it so you can see the rifle I was using and have propped against my shoulder. That rifle dropped that pig with one shot from about 100 yards away. Once you get the M-14 family of rifles zeroed for your eyesight, scope, specific distance and ammo you will amaze yourself at how accurate they can really be! I would not hesitate to carry another of the M-14 family of rifles into combat again if I had to go. In fact, I would ask, beg, borrow or try to steal one of them for combat duty in another war zone. I love them.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have shot a Armalite AR 10 which is very similar to the DPMS, I currently own a SOCOM 16, which is a model of M1 from Springfield. I also own a DSA Fal rifle. For accuracy and dependability I would choose the Springfield over all the others. The H&K 91 mentioned is a good gun, but is VERY expensive to actually get the H&K version. The U.S. Made versions are not as well manufactured and their tolerances are not as tightly held, so for what you want I would certainly choose the Springfield. Might do some good to find a way to shoot them and see what you prefer in that area, then weigh that in your decision. You could buy 2 bolt guns for that price and have enough left over to get a lot of ammo if you wanted.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I was just looking at the AR-10 because I already own a AR-15 and am familiar with the platform. I have never shot a M1 so I am going to try to do that soon and hopefully be purchasing a new .308 this summer.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just purchased a springfield socom 16... from all the research I have done it made me come down to my choice. It is very easy for me as well, since I live in California. The m1a is regarded as one of the best California legal rifles by many gun owners.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have the money get an original Pre Ban H&K 91 not a copy...like it was said in this post earlier...out of the box nothing will touch it.
Downside though is it trashes the brass on ejection..puts a dent in it that makes a lot of it unreloadable.
You can get the buffer but it still beats on the brass.....the aftermarker PTR's and such are cheaper now. And with a lot of people needing money and 308 ammo expensive...a lot of people are selling some.
So you might get lucky....but the M1 Socom is a beauty as well

1 - 20 of 24 Posts