Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Say no to NWO PLEASE!
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'd like to draw on the communities arms expertise.

Went to the range on Saturday and came to the conclusion that the two .303's I've got aren't worth their wieght in scrap past 30 yards.

I'd like to get a .243 for deer hunting and if it came to it, you know what hunting.

What I'd like:
One that I can easily get parts for, and 10+shot clips.
Semi auto would be nice.
I'd like to scope it, but want to be able to keep the iron sights functional, you never know when you might not have a scope.
Obviously not looking to break the bank at a time like this.

Thanks for your help.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
.243's with all the specs you list will be on an AR15 type of platform. That will also be pricey. You may want to look at a Remington,winchester, or Ruger bolt action.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you want an accurate scoped hunting rifle the ten round mag is not likely. Rem or Browning make fine semi hunting rifles, but my own preference is a bolt action for hunting.
You might check the muzzle crown on your .303 rifles, that is a falt that can be easily fixed and often affects accuracy. Of course if the bore is bad, not much can help.

·
Say no to NWO PLEASE!
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do love bolt action, so if that is going to help me keep the cost of the gun down, I'll use that cash up in extra ammo learning how to rapid fire it. Excited already:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
.243's with all the specs you list will be on an AR15 type of platform.
Actually the AR-15 platform does not support .243, which is nothing more than a necked down .308. You have to go to the AR-10 platform for .243 / .308.

I really like the .243 but I think the .308 is the better choice for the survivalist. Of course if you already own a .308 then go for it.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Can you have a FAL type rifle in Canada?
If not I think you can get a Remington 7400 in .243, they are semi auto. There are 10 round mags for them but I cannot speak about their reliability.
I think the 7600 is a pump if that floats your boat, it uses he same mags as the 7400.

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Look at it this way. IF there were a reason for there to be such a rifle, you could find them. I cant even guess why you'd want something with those specs.

.243 is kind of marginal for deer! get a .308 at least.

The sporting rifles like the Remington semi auto are made for light duty, the
kind of guy who might shoot up ten boxes of shells in a lifetime.

You COULD get an M14 / M1A in .243, but why?

All due respect but you sure it is the riflles' fault that your .303s wont shoot straight?
I could see having one bad one but two? Are the bores good, is the ammo good?
The issue .303 isnt a target rifle but it outta do 3" or so at a hundred.

I was at the range the other day, a guy was furious that his Mark X mauser would not extract the shells. Turned out he was single loading a controlled feed and the extractor didnt snap over the rim. We all make mistakes or over look things. Let someone diagnose your .303s before you scrap them. (or give them to me!)

·
Say no to NWO PLEASE!
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know what you guys mean about the .243 being smaller.

The .303's I have I'm going to give another go, I think it's my pulling the trigger, not squeezing it that is part of the problem. I'd still like to get a .243, but I guess something bigger would be a better MBR.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The .270 has all the advantages of a .243 but it is a way more effective round.

I personally never have needed the quick follow up shot from a semi. I shoot a bolt action rifle left handed and never felt like i even needed to go to a pump or lever gun.

If you can get someone to hand you the rifle and you dont know if its loaded or not you will soon let you know if your trigger / flinch control is the problem. .22 practice is good too!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used to dink with Enfields 303's and nary a one liked factory ammo worth a darn. They are 1 -1.5MOA capable with tailored handloads. The 303's usually have slightly oversize chambers thus it pays to use once fired brass specific to that rifle then neck size only. This helps hold the projectile more in-line with the bore centerline and enhances accuracy. They also seemed to do better accuracy wise with a milder loading. Even using a milder loading I found them to be stone cold Deer Killers. Of course as said earlier, If the muzzle crown is worn or nicked, the best of ammo will yield poor results.
Oh and the most accurate one I have has a bore that looks like 40 miles of Bad road... Go figure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts