Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have recently been given the opportunity to be the focal point of a news segment that will be aired in another country (in the EU). The primary focus is on teaching kids guns safety. I applied because's its a topic I feel strongly about, and was chosen due to a children's book I've written.

The purpose of the 3 minute segment is to demonstrate American culture and some of the unique aspects of it as compared with other countries. They are coming in about a week (flying in the correspondent and cameraman) and have asked that my kids participate.

I realize I'm only going to have a few sound bites and I need to have 3-5 solid talking points prepared. So far, this is what I'm thinking:

1) The responsible thing to do is not to scare kids regarding guns, but to educate them and help them respect guns.
2) We educate and engage with our kids on a large variety of dangerous topics, from knives, to drugs (alcohol), to fire, to crossing the street. Engagement prevents the "forbidden fruit" syndrome.
3) The book I've written (the reason I was chosen) is merely a launching point of discussion for parents.
4) In the U.S., legitimate gun owners account for far less participation in crime than other segments of society. (CCW = .00067).
5) States and countries with high gun ownership usually have less crime. The best "gun control" usually equates to more crime - (Chicago, NYC, DC, LA, Detroit)

What would you try to convey? Not a plug for the books, but further explanation of my stance is here: http://www.prepperpeteandfriends.com/blog/ - two posts on "Gun of a Son"

Appreciate your help! SB.com always has good discussion!

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
I think you have a good interview planned. Maybe you could include the unique american rationale that self defense is a natural right and individual responsibility. Take it a step beyond practical reasoning to principles Europeans might not really grasp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts