Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...r-s-role-as-world-reserve-currency-is-at-risk

https://news.bitcoin.com/goldman-sa...ld-reserve-currency-status-gold-bitcoin-soar/

Goldman Sachs has warned that the U.S. dollar may lose its status as the world’s reserve currency. The investment bank is bullish on gold as fears over governments debasing their fiat currencies grow and real interest rates are pushed to all-time lows.

--------

...add to that reparations of $100,000 per black American and the National Dept will increase by another +/- 45 trillion.

·
Registered
259 Posts
1. China will surpass the US in the next century.

2. Do the opposite of what Goldman says (telling the public they’re long gold almost guarantees they’ll have plenty of buyers to sell short to).

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had read they were going to use a basket of currencies to replace the dollar. (Can't remember the source. As Home Defense said, it has been discussed for years.)

But if a basket, sounds like it would be a complex conversion.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
It will be a regional currency based on many currencies, like the Euro. I thought that it would parallel till the USD faltered, then all currencies would uniformilly agree to reduce a percentage of debt in uniformity. Or, the mortal floundering yuan would finally crater starting a floundering of currencies globally until an agreed up reduced debt was enacted.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
While the USD may eventually lose its Reserve Currency status, I think that the recent flooding in China has put a temporary halt to that.

If it's true that 40% of China's farmland has been negatively impacted (and that's without any failure of the Three Gorges Dam), they will need to buy a lot of food from the US using USD. Or if they pay the US in gold, strengthening those reserves could help support the USD.

Not saying that the currency shift won't happen (I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it happens in my lifetime), but it seems as though the main competitors are just as vulnerable as the US right now to a number of existential threats, and might not have as much resources to focus on undermining the West as they originally planned for.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
1. China's GDP will surpass the US in the next decade.

2. Do the opposite of what Goldman says (telling the public they’re long gold almost guarantees they’ll have plenty of buyers to sell short to).
Fixed it for you. Granted, GDP isn't everything and in many pays is a poor measurement, but still, it's hard to ignore the Chinese juggernaut.

·
Dog Lives Matter
7,141 Posts
WHAT GOLD ? the united states military has NOT let our gold be inventoried at fort knox since the 1970,s even congress cant get in neither can the president [WHY} where is it? who really has it,
It's very possible all the gold in Fort Knox is gone. A couple of years ago the History Channel ran 3 documentaries about Fort Knox back-to-back. Each show was from a different documentary. One of them was from Brad Meltzer's Decoded series. All three concluded that all or most of the gold in Fort Knox has been pilfered by politicians and used to pay for secret projects so there is little or no gold left.

It isn't just our gold held there. We store gold for other countries, as well.

I'll bet some people in the Deep State have access as do certain people in the military. Fort Knox is a military base.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It's very possible all the gold in Fort Knox is gone. A couple of years ago the History Channel ran 3 documentaries about Fort Knox back-to-back. Each show was from a different documentary. One of them was from Brad Meltzer's Decoded series. All three concluded that all or most of the gold in Fort Knox has been pilfered by politicians and used to pay for secret projects so there is little or no gold left.

Fort Knox is a military base.

I wouldn't believe the History Channel, they are in the entertainment business.

The gold was last inspected by Steve Mnuchin and Mitch McConnell in August 2017. They reported that the gold was still there.

And Fort Knox is a military base but the Gold Depository is on a plot of land owned by the US Treasury Department and the military does not guard the Depository, it is guarded by the Mint Police.

·
Bushidoka
2,902 Posts
This Could Be One of Those "Tipping Point" Things...

I notice that neither article suggests a replacement.

IMHO we are "safe" (relatively speaking) till there is, and then it will suck to be us the next day.

But there is no sign that that day is soon.
that seem to come as a surprise, but only in hindsight can you see that the "signs" were there.

In an age where everyone has a computer in his pocket, I don't think the lack of a single existing alternative is an insurmountable obstacle. The IMF already has Special Drawing Rights with a stipulated "basket of currencies," and other baskets could easily be devised if the motivation to dump the USD were to materialize. (I have been wondering if we would see gold returned to the SDR basket, as a "sign" that someone wants to "put lipstick on a pig.")

As long as the USD and Treasuries hold their value, they continue to serve this international purpose. But confidence is a delicate thing, and how inflated is the current confidence on which the USD rests? Will there be "signs" before the tide turns? Or will we only find out the next day?

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
that seem to come as a surprise, but only in hindsight can you see that the "signs" were there.

In an age where everyone has a computer in his pocket, I don't think the lack of a single existing alternative is an insurmountable obstacle. The IMF already has Special Drawing Rights with a stipulated "basket of currencies," and other baskets could easily be devised if the motivation to dump the USD were to materialize. (I have been wondering if we would see gold returned to the SDR basket, as a "sign" that someone wants to "put lipstick on a pig.")

As long as the USD and Treasuries hold their value, they continue to serve this international purpose. But confidence is a delicate thing, and how inflated is the current confidence on which the USD rests? Will there be "signs" before the tide turns? Or will we only find out the next day?
It's possible, but with the U.S. Military at strength and the issues China is facing/going to be facing:

JMHO: Highly doubtful.

We see it every time there's doubt.... The money runs to the U.S. Because while we have (many) problems, we are still the best bet in the world.

But like I said to people thinking about getting a gun:
I think Trump, not Biden will be out next president.... But I've already got mine in case I'm wrong!

·
Semper Fi
9,903 Posts
When OPEC and others start wanting to be paid in yuan rather than USD's then that is a pretty strong sign. Until then it simply isn't happening.

Reactions: SoJ_51
1 - 20 of 89 Posts