Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,737 Posts
I think this is happening a lot to rural America.

Yesterday after work I was gassing up and saw license plates from California and New York at the same time. It was a moment of realization of how easy this virus can travel from coast to coast.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,383 Posts
While I realize rural concerns, property ownership rights should remain paramount.

If someone actually owns a rural property they should bring their deed and have the sheriff enforce those rights if needed.

Where I see a good place for rural locals to complain about is rental and lodging facilities simply opening their doors to anyone for a fast buck. Not to mention the fact that rural locals may end up having need for rental isolation units that local officials can draw from. Rural doctors may really need that no-tell motel at the county crossroads to isolate a family member from the rest of his clan. If Junior is showing the early symptoms then grandpa may need an isolation lodging away from the family home.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My county had a case from a person that came out of NY. He knew he had symptoms and didn't care. Flew out here, drove south and eventually ended up at the hospital with advanced symptoms.

We need to start grinding these people into dog or pig food, I swear.
Why would anyone with symptoms what to travel away from not only their home, friends and family but also a larger health care system? I worked at a small rural hospital, less than 100 beds, and I would rather be at a large hospital if I thought I had the chinese virus.

This person should be punished but I don't think it would be fair to my dogs. They eat better than this guy.

·
Only politics *****.
5,485 Posts
I think this is happening a lot to rural America.

Yesterday after work I was gassing up and saw license plates from California and New York at the same time. It was a moment of realization of how easy this virus can travel from coast to coast.
Not just that, you have tons of students going home from spring break starting a few days ago. Most of those young and likely to stay asymptomatic for a while longer. Each of those being in perfect conditions for the virus to spread: close contact with a lot of people, several of them directly spreading things by kissing, coughing, sneezing on the people dancing around them. I think that'll bring a bit of a more serious boom to rural area's.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
If the government were really serious about stopping the spread, early on they would have shut down the interstates and domestic flights.

That would have freaked everyone out and made the market crash 5-10k points, so they didn't do it. Hence, we have the virus throughout the country.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sad part is, according to CDC guidelines the infected are not reported where they are located, they are counted in the state that they live in. So you don't know how many are really out there in your state
This is where you need to have your ear to the grindstone. Nextdoor's social network has exploded (join up, spy on what your neighbors are talking about), Facebook, etc. As anonymous as we are here, I get info about the areas around me from you all as well - it's about situational awareness and the need to build your own info these days.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Where I see a good place for rural locals to complain about is rental and lodging facilities simply opening their doors to anyone for a fast buck. Not to mention the fact that rural locals may end up having need for rental isolation units that local officials can draw from. Rural doctors may really need that no-tell motel at the county crossroads to isolate a family member from the rest of his clan. If Junior is showing the early symptoms then grandpa may need an isolation lodging away from the family home.
Local governments out here in Appalachistan are already using emergency powers to close short term rentals for these very reasons. No Airbnb to wait this out for the Triad.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Why would anyone with symptoms what to travel away from not only their home, friends and family but also a larger health care system? I worked at a small rural hospital, less than 100 beds, and I would rather be at a large hospital if I thought I had the chinese virus.

This person should be punished but I don't think it would be fair to my dogs. They eat better than this guy.
Large hospitals are already getting slammed, with people stacking up untreated and resources overwhelmed. By heading for a small, distant place the guy increased his chances of getting care and maybe even put on a ventilator that would save his life.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
It's been reported that summer people are coming up early to escape their states.

We're not going to be much better up here.
Its been happening everywhere, in every capital which are the places where you most often have the most infected. Here too they started leaving to their beach homes and second residences. Fortunatelly many of the were turned around thanks to the nationwide lockdown. Some ****ing people are all about me, me, me and dont care about anyone else, let alone rules the rest of us do out best to follow during tough times.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Large hospitals are already getting slammed, with people stacking up untreated and resources overwhelmed. By heading for a small, distant place the guy increased his chances of getting care and maybe even put on a ventilator that would save his life.
That too depends, some small communities just hard bak luck, and everyone in the got infected, locla resources unable to cope of course. But its just a matter of time until every faciltiy collapses and cant treat everyone anymore.
No country has enough ICU beds for this.

·
The Power of the Glave
2,210 Posts
It's happening where I live (rural Nebraska).

The local recreation area (only about 1/2 mile from me) is packed with motorhomes and campers from Colorado, Omaha, Illinois, Texas. Even a couple from New York State.

My town is only 452 pop. with a small grocery store. What happens when these people parked out in the middle of the cornfields run out of supplies?

1 - 20 of 143 Posts