Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Iēsous
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gold flake and silver shot ?

what do you guys think, i just bout a troy oz of gold flake for 50 bucks.

I have the ability to have it melted in something larger, good shtf investments

oh and the sliver is .9999 129.00 for 10 oz

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Gold flake and silver shot ?

what do you guys think, i just bout a troy oz of gold flake for 50 bucks.

I have the ability to have it melted in something larger, good shtf investments

oh and the sliver is .9999 129.00 for 10 oz

You got sheited....

You probably bought a little jar with gold flake floating around in it didnt you? Thats about .004 cents worth of gold.

I know a guy who spent 1800 bucks on the same thing last year only to be told if he melted all the gold together he might have a penny worth...

·
Iēsous
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$50 for an ounce, sounds like a shady deal. I could be wrong but an ounce of gold is about $700 if not more these days.

I was thinking the same myself but they have real good ratings and reviews.

I assume its 10 k flake so in essence its bout .37 oz gold if its on the up and up by they time i have it melted down i should yield a net profit of around 170.00 ----if its 14k more etc...

I figured with their ratings a 50 buck gamble was worth the risk. 50 wont make or break me and if they turn out to be OK i let ya know.

to folks thinking as if the dollar will last its not a good investment
because its a hard sell, I'm thinking shtf and its gold, should be worth more than the dollars i paid for it soon:taped:

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
wunderbar. cinnamon firewater mixed with german cough medicine. Not a bad tour of the European Union

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Gold is going for $870.00 an OZ.

Gold leaf is very costly, and sells for a good amount over the actual metal. You are paying for the labor to pound gold bars into super thin leaf.

In addition, it's not pure Gold. It's sometimes called "Dirty Gold" because it has a lot of impurities.

Gold flake is used in Custom Paint jobs on Classic cars and Hot Rods. It's main value is in it's "Prettifulness" when used as lettering. You see it especially on Candy Apple red, or Candy Fire Engine red paint jobs.

What you do is put a stencil of what you want to write on the car, and spray it with a bit of clear, or a special adhesive. Then you press the Gold leaf on and wait for the adhesive to dry. after drying, the excess is removed, and the painter sprays clear over to seal the surface.

It's for custom car painting, not for investments.

·
12,005 Posts
I was thinking the same myself but they have real good ratings and reviews.

I assume its 10 k flake so in essence its bout .37 oz gold if its on the up and up by they time i have it melted down i should yield a net profit of around 170.00 ----if its 14k more etc...

I figured with their ratings a 50 buck gamble was worth the risk. 50 wont make or break me and if they turn out to be OK i let ya know.

to folks thinking as if the dollar will last its not a good investment
because its a hard sell, I'm thinking shtf and its gold, should be worth more than the dollars i paid for it soon:taped:
Reply]
What you bought is *Extremely* low quality dirty Gold used for Custom painting. You are better off selling it AS IS, rather than trying to melt it down.

Google "House of Kolor" and see what they retail it for.

·
Iēsous
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Reply]
What you bought is *Extremely* low quality dirty Gold used for Custom painting. You are better off selling it AS IS, rather than trying to melt it down.

Google "House of Kolor" and see what they retail it for.
I will check this out if you could and let me know ---

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...pany&iid=370136530894&de=off&items=25&page=14

yup its painting crapola, let me go call the card folks..........

oh but what about silver shot its from amex its industrial .999 silver beads 10 oz for 129.00?

·
12,005 Posts

·
12,005 Posts
I will check this out if you could and let me know ---

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...pany&iid=370136530894&de=off&items=25&page=14

yup its painting crapola, let me go call the card folks..........

oh but what about silver shot its from amex its industrial .999 silver beads 10 oz for 129.00?
Reply]
In all honesty, I don't think you were ripped off. I am sure you paid a fair price for what you got. You just made an uneducated purchase, that's all.

Find out what House of Kolor retails it for. Maybe you can sell it for as much, or more than you paid.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Read this for a good idea what will work, this is the blog from a guy that is surviving the collapse of the Argentinean government. Surviving in Argentina

You can check with a local pawn shop and buy a bunch of gold rings at current gold pricing or close, if you trust them. Look inside the ring it will be stamped with the caret which indicates how pure the gold is 24k being best. Search online for some of the better jewelery suppliers and see what they charge for gold shot for the cheapest way to buy bulk. I would buy 18k as it is what you will be paid for when you go to redeem it if tshtf.
I would think your best bet would be gold coins from a reputable coin dealer.
* American Gold Eagle
* Mexican 50 Pesos Gold Coins
* Hungarian 100 Korona Gold Coins
* Austrian 100 Corona Gold Coins
* Austrian Philharmonic Gold Coins
* Australian Kangaroos Gold Coins
* Canadian Gold Maple Leaf Coins
* Buffalo Gold Coins
as these would probably fetch full value when spent.
Here is some info on investing in gold
Gold
Best coin investment is the Krugerrand.
American Gold Eagle Coins
Minted at West Point, New York, American Gold Eagle coins come in four sizes: 1-ounce, 1/2-ounce, 1/4-ounce, and 1/10-ounce. The 1-oz Gold Eagle coins are by far the most popular and sell at small premiums over the value of their gold content. The smaller coins sell at higher premiums, and the smaller the coin the higher the premium.

American Gold Eagle Coins are 22-karat gold, which means they contain 91.6% gold and 8.4% of a copper-silver alloy. Because Gold American Eagles are 22-karat, many investors incorrectly believe that Gold Eagles have less than an ounce of gold. This is not so.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
In the real world the perceived value of an item is going to dictate what you can sell it for. Supply and demand will also alter the value of items. I think jewelery and coins are going to have the best trade value in times of economic collapse, just because people feel they are worth more. Now then, I got this gold plating machine and a bunch of cheap rings:rolleyes: I also know how to cast gold, so anything is possible.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
If you want cheap, you may just want to go with silver. If it were that easy to make a killing off buying crude, unrefined metals, you wouldn't get them so cheaply.

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts