Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I've noticed in this place with the gold buyers is an emotional aspect, almost fanaticism. An investment should be free of emotion and be logical. Whenever anyone questions the wisdom of large gold purchases, they are shot down en masse and name calling ensues. Without question, it has been a herd mentality lately with gold purchases. Does anyone truly think gold is immune from a bubble? People used to say that about real estate. Gold only holds value to those people who put value in it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
For some it is an obsession. Afterall, it is really shiny!

For the rest of us, its a way to invest in an appreciating asset (there are no perfect hedges), while inflation erodes the fiat currency's buying power.

Every asset class will eventually be in a bubble.

This one has a way to go before that happens.

The real danger in the US for Gold, is confiscation by decree, rather than destruction of value.

The beauty of Gold is its current and historical global acceptance as a store of value, without which, like any other form of currency, Gold would be rendered rather useless.

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
GREAT thread,you cannot even discuss gold without being flamed,I'm holding a lot of ore right know and try to get a feel for the market,but can't get past even asking a question without being roasted.

Thanks,Bob

·
Neo Confederate
2,256 Posts
Lets not forget that owning gold and silver is a revolutionary act, it is a rejection of fiat currency, so for me it has some of the aspects of a "mission".

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Lets not forget that owning gold and silver is a revolutionary act, it is a rejection of fiat currency, so for me it has some of the aspects of a "mission".
Then the beautiful silverware I inherited from Grandmother,made her a "revolutionary".

My Grandmother...................that's cool ! :thumb:

·
Neo Confederate
2,256 Posts
Then the beautiful silverware I inherited from Grandmother,made her a "revolutionary".

My Grandmother...................that's cool ! :thumb:
Things do change.

Silver is beautiful and has antimicrobial property's.

Fifty or a hundred years ago precious metals were not such a threat to the ponzi scam as they are now.

I admit I am a believer.

·
Registered
939 Posts
gold is rare and dollars are not. real estate used to be rare until the last boom when everybody and their blue dog got into construction/real estate.... and over built the supply. real estate isn't going anywhere soon because there is still a massive supply of empty houses being held off the market.

this recent trend in gold, and other pm prices, is primarily correlated to the supply of money (in usd) and amount of debt out government aquires. until our government stops acquiring massive debt and printing money to pay for it... I expect pm prices to continue the way they have.

·
Neo Confederate
2,256 Posts
I also see land as perhaps the ultimale investment, unfortunatly "the government' can't seem to keep it's grubby paws out of that either.

So, right now we don't really own our land, we rent it.

Physical gold and silver are not taxed untill we sell them right now, "they' don't even know we have them, but still I can keep the price of a good property in my coat pockets.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
... Whenever anyone questions the wisdom of large gold purchases, they are shot down en masse and name calling ensues.
Having been involved in more than a few of these "debates", I think I'm able to weigh in here. The OP largely misses the point of these arguments,IMO. What we PM enthusiants find so irritating usually isn't the mere fact that someone disagrees with us and doesn't want to own gold, instead,it's the fact that the anti-PM crowd repeatedly insists on ignoring the very simple points that are being made, then re-arguing another point entirely that is not being contended,and has already been widely acknowledged.
In other words, we've long said, "gold/silver are good preps to have, in ADDITION to, and AFTER securing traditional preps like food,water,firearms,1st aid,fuel,tools,etc."
Then the anti-PM guys will ignore this and repeatedly and inanely charge in with,"you can't eat gold,when the SHTF,I'd rather have food".
Well no kidding. We keep saying over and over that one should have adequate food and other preps BEFORE acquiring preps like precious metals, NOT as a substitute for them. Yet every couple days, we get another numb-nut thread saying something stupid like, "when the SHTF, I'll trade you a can of beans for an ounce of your gold". We've been battling this assinine rationale for years, and it's really getting tiresome.
I hope that brings some useful clarity. ;)

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Having been involved in more than a few of these "debates", I think I'm able to weigh in here. The OP largely misses the point of these arguments,IMO. What we PM enthusiants find so irritating usually isn't the mere fact that someone disagrees with us and doesn't want to own gold, instead,it's the fact that the anti-PM crowd repeatedly insists on ignoring the very simple points that are being made, then re-arguing another point entirely that is not being contended,and has already been widely acknowledged.
In other words, we've long said, "gold/silver are good preps to have, in ADDITION to, and AFTER securing traditional preps like food,water,firearms,1st aid,fuel,tools,etc."
Then the anti-PM guys will ignore this and repeatedly and inanely charge in with,"you can't eat gold,when the SHTF,I'd rather have food".
Well no kidding. We keep saying over and over that one should have adequate food and other preps BEFORE acquiring preps like precious metals, NOT as a substitute for them. Yet every couple days, we get another numb-nut thread saying something stupid like, "when the SHTF, I'll trade you a can of beans for an ounce of your gold". We've been battling this assinine rationale for years, and it's really getting tiresome.
People should be allowed to express their opinion and not be criticized for it,even Kev thinks gold will be useless PSHTF,everyone should prep according to their needs,everyone attacking someone that doesn't believe PM's are needed,is interrupting the free flow of ideas on the forum,if i don't agree on a thread,it's a free country.

Thanks,Bob

·
Registered
939 Posts
anybody that bought gold before the food/water/bob/gun/etc is a damn moron.... plain and simple.

gold is only for investing large sums of money.... if and only if you have other assets in your portfolio to balance and diversify the risk.

gold should equally about 25% to 30% of your overall portfolio. the other 75% should be a combination of things like municiple bonds, stocks, mutual funds, an Ira/401k, and some cash.

gold is a very good vehicle to store wealth long term.... especially in estate planning. if you plan to buy and sell like some sort of speculator.... I would imagine you stand to lose some money through market fluctuations and transaction costs.

if you are looking for something to have value right after the shtf.... food and bullets. if you are looking for something to have value after society resets.... gold and silver.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am one of those who find it quite tiresome to listen to the drivel of the Anti-PM crowd especially when so much history proves that they are sooooo wrong about PMs. For a little event like an earthquake or a hurricane - gold doesn't help you here....and why should it? I mean after and earthquake or a hurricane we'll still have money!

However, what about those major economic events where the value of money is shattered? Let's take the great depression of 1929 for example. I had a Great Uncle who saw that Depression coming - as could anyone with half a brain, so he bought Gold - and lot's of it. When Gold was confiscated in 1934 and the value of the dollar simultaneously cut by almost 50%, then those holding a lot of gold lost nothing as gold was instantly revalued from $20 to $35 per ounce. Plus, despite the fact that there was a "Gold Confiscation" going on, everyone was still allowed to hold up to 10 Oz of Gold per person - and that was a lot of Gold for a family of six! Plus, there was some gold buries around the Ranch that no one talked about - and it helped provide a pretty good cash flow for the next 7 years.

Now, in the late 1960's my uncle is an old man, but he again sees the inflation about to sky-rocket again as a result of all the spending on the Vietnam war. After he realizes that Nixon was lying to the public during his campaign and had no intention of stopping the war, he started buying Krugerands at $50 during the early 70's - and he kept right on buying as inflation soared until gold hit about $200/Oz. Neddless to say, he protected his money quite well against inflation and the rising taxes on property and income that resulted.

But why limit the examples to America, why not consider Argentina. Now, anyone with half a brain could see the most recent collapse coming in Argentina (just like the last 3 times since 1950). Had people sold their Argentine savings and bought Gold, then when the Agrentine currency was slashed to 23% of its value overnight, then their Gold would have provided them plenty of Cash Flow during those inflationary times.

An on, and on, and on. We could use hundreds of examples of how Gold protects wealth throughout history from Russia to Germany to Zimbabwe to Colonial America...But, some little Gold Driveler will always have an objection that "You Can't Eat Gold"! And I guess this is what makes the anti-PM crowd so tiresome: they just won't listen to facts.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
When I get upset is when people come on and state that PMs are of no use that you cant use them after a SHTF situation and they have no place. Well I wonder if they are either just short sighted or are they intentionally trying to screw up others with there bad planning. I have always invested in PMs and I have never lost my value in fact all my friends that didnt are still complaining that they didnt for the last 2 years. Mt attitude is the reason I could get so much is becasue with everything I look at patterns and figure out what I beleive will have value in the future. I have the money to do that so I do. If you dont ok thats all you can do then that all you can do. But if others have that ability and all else is already taken care of why not? Do you invest all you money in 1 stock? Ya that worked well for people who did that with Enron didnt it. Deversify you you have many ways to get what you need. But until you can show me that you are such a smart investor right now and are able to go out and buy anything you want with cash then dont give others bad advise that you havent even been able to get ahead of the game. As for being a religion no an investment yes bussiness is bussiness and Im in bussiness to survive total collapse or just a fiat collapse.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,392 Posts
One thing I've noticed in this place with the gold buyers is an emotional aspect, almost fanaticism. An investment should be free of emotion and be logical. Whenever anyone questions the wisdom of large gold purchases, they are shot down en masse and name calling ensues. Without question, it has been a herd mentality lately with gold purchases. Does anyone truly think gold is immune from a bubble? People used to say that about real estate. Gold only holds value to those people who put value in it.
Gold is not immune to emotion based investors driving up the price above it's normal market price. But gold is an antidote to the debt based fiat currencies used world wide. It makes a great insurance policy, but is a poor instrument of sustained growth.

I agree with a prior poster and advise a balance between real estate, equities, bonds, PMs, cash, and consumable preps like food, fuel, and ammo.

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
When I get upset is when people come on and state that PMs are of no use that you cant use them after a SHTF situation and they have no place. Well I wonder if they are either just short sighted or are they intentionally trying to screw up others with there bad planning. I have always invested in PMs and I have never lost my value in fact all my friends that didnt are still complaining that they didnt for the last 2 years. Mt attitude is the reason I could get so much is becasue with everything I look at patterns and figure out what I beleive will have value in the future. I have the money to do that so I do. If you dont ok thats all you can do then that all you can do. But if others have that ability and all else is already taken care of why not? Do you invest all you money in 1 stock? Ya that worked well for people who did that with Enron didnt it. Deversify you you have many ways to get what you need. But until you can show me that you are such a smart investor right now and are able to go out and buy anything you want with cash then dont give others bad advise that you havent even been able to get ahead of the game. As for being a religion no an investment yes bussiness is bussiness and Im in bussiness to survive total collapse or just a fiat collapse.
Then you disagree with Kev,a survivalist expert.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=1549&highlight=barter

People,after SHTF,will be very suspicious of PM's and will be useless as barter.If you disagree,take it up with Kev.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,392 Posts
Then you disagree with Kev,a survivalist expert.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=1549&highlight=barter

People,after SHTF,will be very suspicious of PM's and will be useless as barter.If you disagree,take it up with Kev.
Yes, I guess I do disagree. And no, I'm not going to take it up with kev or anyone else that believes differently than I.

This is making personal choices about your resources and your survival. Not group think decisions.

I believe that gold and silver will retain some value. Since I have resources that I don't need right now, I have invested some of them in gold.

If I'm wrong, I don't want my decision to affect the rest of you. Please make your own decisions.

·
Joe McCarthy was Right!
4,789 Posts
Here is the thing. An ounce of gold is worth...... An ounce of gold. Its not neccasarily that the value of gold increases or diminishes. It is what it is: gold. The play on this metal isnt about gold itself. Its about the confidence you have in the fiat currency that you are using to buy the yellow stuff. More and more its becoming clearer that the federal government has niether the will or the capacity to handle its debt and its causing ripples throughout our society. Eventually our creditors are going to realize that the debt cannot be serviced or payed off (They dont want it payed off they just want us to be able to service it thus granting them income through intrest) then comes the time of default, The fiat currency becomes relatively useless and then everyone will realize the value of gold.

I dont advocate piling all of your money into gold, but even if you did at least you would know that that investment would never actually reach zero. infact as gold goes down youre not really loosing money, the purchasing power of an ounce of gold has been relatively stable. If you go buy a car for $500 when gold was $500, and then a couple years later you went and baught a car for $1500 when gold was now $1500. you still could have baught the car for an ounce of gold each time. the value of the gold remained the same, it was the value of the currency that the gold was pegged to that changed.

IMHO everyone should have at least some gold. 20% of savings is my threshold. If you have a wife that doesnt like that though you can be subtle and give it to her in the form of jewelery.

·
The Convicted Audiophile™
4,384 Posts
gold should equally about 25% to 30% of your overall portfolio. the other 75% should be a combination of things like municiple bonds, stocks, mutual funds, an Ira/401k, and some cash.
Did you get those figures from one of those economic armageddon blogs with all the gold ads strewn about??;):eek:

The figure I have heard tossed around in the financial planning circles is 5-10% in precious metals
As long as it is well diversified, your portfolio should do ok in the long run
Depends on portfolio goals and the whole risk/return ratio concept

I shudder when I read threads saying, "I just got a $100,000 inheritance check. I am going to put it ALL in gold because my Wells Fargo money market account will most likely be worthless in a few weeks"

I'm not so convinced that gold and CPI are as positively correlated as I was led to believe
Gold is at an all time high?
Yet we have low inflation?
Baffling to me.....:confused::eek::

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Yes, I guess I do disagree. And no, I'm not going to take it up with kev or anyone else that believes differently than I.

This is making personal choices about your resources and your survival. Not group think decisions.

I believe that gold and silver will retain some value. Since I have resources that I don't need right now, I have invested some of them in gold.

If I'm wrong, I don't want my decision to affect the rest of you. Please make your own decisions.
I agree,this is were the friction comes in,most people here are concerned with survival and preparedness,when they post, they are criticized by people that are investing with the idea of making a profit.

That,to me,is the rub,survival prepping and investing clashing.

Everyone on SB seems to want survival,rather than investment advice,and the two sides are thinking in different terms,thus,conflict.

Thanks,Bob

1 - 20 of 45 Posts