Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bushcrafter
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are touted as some kind of superfood, which are heaving with vitamins and minerals. I take this with a pinch of salt, as some of these raw food 'gurus' can be a little bit 'Harpic' (round the bend). I guess it depends on what type of soil you have and how much compost and mulch you put on the plants but might be worth a prepper/survivalist having a few of these shrubs growing either in your garden or guerrilla planted in your area. They are said to grow in hedgerows in parts of the UK, so should be reasonably straightforward to produce some.Having access to some 'superfoods' when things get scarce could give you a bit of an edge.I've been looking at another superfood plant called Maca, which is like a radish but don't know if they will grow here, normally found very high up in the Andes......

Once established, goji berries are incredibly easy to grow. They’ll grow in almost any type of soil, and can even thrive in poor soil, as they are used to the mountainous regions in the Himalayas. They are reasonably drought-tolerant, and will even grow in partial shade (though you’ll get more berries from them if you grow them in full sun).

http://www.fruitexpert.co.uk/growinggojiberries.html

·
Bushcrafter
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got some goji berries in wally world £1.47 for 100g, Holland and Barret £2.79 for 75g. As far as I can tell it's the same product just marked up in H&B. Taste pretty nice, bit like dates.......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tried them (but not grown them), sadly they did'nt change my life, just another berry. Prefer our wild berries e.g. the cow-berry (vaccinium family) as found in the Surrey hills.
Far more tasty is the yew berry (just don't eat the seed!)
Beware of anything called a 'super food'!

·
Bushcrafter
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried them (but not grown them), sadly they did'nt change my life, just another berry. Prefer our wild berries e.g. the cow-berry (vaccinium family) as found in the Surrey hills.
Far more tasty is the yew berry (just don't eat the seed!)
Beware of anything called a 'super food'!
Think you are right, if it's called a 'superfood' they can charge a lot more for it but it does look like they do contain some good nutritious minerals, vitamins and phytochemicals. I'll check out yew berries.Hmmm it says on the wild food site that the seeds of the yew berry can kill you and that the sugary gloop in the berry can be toxic too, if eaten in large amounts.....

Regarded as one of THE most poisonous and deadly plant materials around the scarlet berries of yew contain a slightly sugary gloop surrounding the seed and which can be extracted by VERY GENTLY squeezing the berry. The inner brown-black seed is deadly poisonous and must not be eaten.
If you wish to try the yew berry sap it is ESSENTIAL to check your personal tolerance before trying. In any event only try the sap of one or two berries as a larger quantity might well contain a sufficient build up of toxins which could cause harm. One best left to foraging professionals.
http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wfs/wfsberries.htm

·
The Cat's Pajamas
407 Posts
I was wondering about them. Gillian McKeith talks about them. Yes, I know, but we do find her entertaining. I have been seeing them in cereal and such. I even saw some in the fresh juice section in walmart. Haven't tried any yet. Curious.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I bought the seeds from Bountiful Gardens. In essence I soaked a berry and I got 4 seeds out of it. I followed the entire process and I now have a plant that is about 3 inches tall. It is in the window in the house. I will put it outside next year. Two did not make it and I gave one to my mother.

I think I have 9 other seeds so I might get some more going. It was very slow growing in the beginning but it is finally taking off.

·
Bushcrafter
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering about them. Gillian McKeith talks about them. Yes, I know, but we do find her entertaining. I have been seeing them in cereal and such. I even saw some in the fresh juice section in walmart. Haven't tried any yet. Curious.
For somebody that claims to be a nutrition expert, she don't look that healthy......:upsidedown:

·
One of the Good Guys
268 Posts
So are Superfoods faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound??? If not...I call them food...

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
The thing is any time you add better food you generally feel better. Someone come's up with something new every year or so be it, Acai,Mangosteen, Sea Berry....
I think they are all good additions to a diet. Goji is just another name for Lycci fruit. If I remember it's zone 6 so I won't be growing any here. Just wait long enough and more than likely it will be in your local market as it is here as juice. I be interested in feed back on any who try to grow it.

·
Bushcrafter
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The thing is any time you add better food you generally feel better. Someone come's up with something new every year or so be it, Acai,Mangosteen, Sea Berry....
I think they are all good additions to a diet. Goji is just another name for Lycci fruit. If I remember it's zone 6 so I won't be growing any here. Just wait long enough and more than likely it will be in your local market as it is here as juice. I be interested in feed back on any who try to grow it.
Seems like a no brainer, if you can produce food that has much higher levels of nutrients in it as easily as what you usually grow, then would be a good idea to plant some of that......

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
These are touted as some kind of superfood, which are heaving with vitamins and minerals. I take this with a pinch of salt, as some of these raw food 'gurus' can be a little bit 'Harpic' (round the bend).

Sigh..... while I agree one should be wary of gurus, particulary on the internet, good research is more reliable. Goji berries do have some healthful qualities, particularly antioxidants. Fortunately, a close relative of the Goji berry (botanically a sibling) grows locally. They are edible and while I don't know about their healtful qualities because they have not been tested, often such qualities do run in siblings.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
Sigh..... while I agree one should be wary of gurus, particulary on the internet, good research is more reliable. Goji berries do have some healthful qualities, particularly antioxidants. Fortunately, a close relative of the Goji berry (botanically a sibling) grows locally. They are edible and while I don't know about their healtful qualities because they have not been tested, often such qualities do run in siblings.
So what's the sibling

1 - 15 of 15 Posts