Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
3 more years of this?
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Studying for the past few days to prepare for the Tennessee Limited License Electrician exam. So far over 50% of our class has failed. The thing that sucks is its $44 everytime you try to take it and some students are over $100 into it:eek: .Wish me luck I need it:D:

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Good luck. I have been in the electrical business for nearly 20 years, and have worked form New England to LA, Minnesota to Texas. Its a great trade.

Reactions: svxak47

·
No Hope and Change for Me
215 Posts
Good Luck!

Get a good nights sleep tonight, it is critical to having your mind clear tomorrow. I have taken dozens of these types of exams over the years and eat a good breakfast, relax and think the best.

Keep in mind that with multiple choice questions, most often, your first answer chosen is the corect answer. Don't try and logic yourself into a wrong answer. Trust Your Gut. You will be fine.

Let us know what happens......How long before you know the results?

Forget about everyone else and their pass / failure / drop out rates. They really have nothing to do with your results and success.

GO GET THEM. You will pass......

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Good luck. I'm a master {unrestricted} plumber here in Ga. We have to take the journeyman's test here before we can take the masters. The journeyman's test was WAY harder. It was all technical questions, the masters had a lot of business type stuff on it.
The failure rate here on the plumbing tests is over 90% for people who do not attend a trade school.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
Good luck. You seem like a pretty intelligent person to me.

The fact that some people are failing is a really great thing to see. I mean, as an electrician, you are responsible for a lot of property, every piece of property you will ever work on will carry the possibility of fire if you don't know what you're doing.

The last apartment we had, the landlord called in a very reputable plumbing company to replace the hot water heater. Unfortunately, I don't think the guy was an Electrician, but more skilled as a Plumber...

Not that you would have to be an Electrician to hook up an electric hot water heater but if you're doing it for a living...well...covering your ass is not a bad idea.

Anyways, almost a year had passed and I smelled burned insulation and plastic. The breaker controlling the hot water heater was flipped and as soon as you reset it, it flipped back over to OFF. I knew something was wrong then!

Burned the insulation off of the wire and the plastic on two wire nuts was entirely gone and just two metal cones remained of the wire nuts.

So, as I said, it's good that some people are failing, it shouldn't be easy. Consider that you can install or repair something and months or years later, a mistake can be there that kills someone.

·
aka Mental Avenger
5,455 Posts
Good luck on the exam. This question might be on the exam. The answer was given to me by an old electrician years ago.

Q: What are the two requirements for becoming an electrician.
A: A size 38 jacket and a size 2 hat.

:D:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Took me about 7 attempts over a number of years to finally pass my electrician exams. The theory I had no problem with. The very last exam on the regulations & legal stuff though... it was the only open book exam with that stuff too :p

Every year the exam got a little harder and every time i only just missed passing by a couple of percent :D:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I wish you luck!!

Do not get frustrated if you do not pass it the first time!!

I turned my military experience into a Journeyman's Electrician license back in '96. The test was difficult, but I had over-prepared. I bought or borrowed a lot of literature in preparing. I think a lot of people go into the test thinking they know their job, but they haven't studied enough. There are so many aspects of the electrical field that you may not have daily exposure to. Like sizing the neutral for a service to a laundromat.

My Journeyman's license was a stepping stone for my career. I no longer do electrical work, but it definitely allowed me to get to where I am today. It's a great field.

Good Luck!!!

·
3 more years of this?
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woohoo I passed with a 85 which is the highest in my class so far and the highest the testing center said they have seen in a long time. I answered the questions I knew and came back and worked on the ones I didnt know as well. Im glad I dont have to take this more than once.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.