Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone here keep some sort of BOB on them in college? My college is in an Urban environment (Richmond, VA), but i'd like to have some survival gear with me in college. Any ideas for putting together a really small but helpful BOB? I'll be in a dorm room, so space is limited.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I didn't take one, but that was before I got into prepping.

A better bet for you might be to cache things, rent a storage unit or something. You won't be able to keep much in your dorm, they barely give you enough space for normal, everyday things.

Also, spend some time getting to know your new city. It will be important to plan out several escape routes.

See if you can meet some likeminded students (or even teachers) who you could hook up with in a disaster.

·
With eyes and mind open.
222 Posts
How much money do you have?

The reason I ask, is most of the items in a BOB are not allowed on college campuses. Firearms, cooking appliances, knives... Most of which will get you thrown out of school.

If funding allows, find the closest storage unit company. Rent the smallest one and fill it with the things you NEED. You may be breaking storage company rules, but that will not get you thrown out of college... just your storage unit... if caught.

Also know that rumors about students run rampant. You want to stay gray. You don't want to be know as the 'survivalist' or 'the kid who stores food for the end of the world'. All of which draw attention to you, usually bad attention.

ETA: Cuppycake beat me to the storage unit.... ;-)

·
Keep your fists up.
312 Posts
I never stayed in the dorms. I always rented an apartment and had roommates. Stick with military ROTC cadets, branch doesn't really matter (might have better luck with Army and Marine cadets). They are still college students and can get rowdy but many into guns, some know how to use them and most don't want to screw with their military carrier so they tend to stay out of trouble.

If you have to stay in the dorms then I think a storage unit would be ok but I would rather keep everything in the trunk of my car. Keep a club on the steering wheel and if you can lock the trunk so you have to have use the key to open it that would be great. My Civic had a lock on the lever to open the trunk from the driver seat so I had to use a dealer made key to open the trunk.
Oh and keep valuables out of plane view. Tinting the windows can help a lot too.

*Important* Seal your AMMO, MAGS and FIREARM in a dry bag/mylar bag/firearm storage bag because there is a high probability you will not have time to take it out to the range or clean/oil it during the semester.
I ruined the parkerized finish on a shot gun by not planning for humidity and it only took a month in Arizona. Still shoots fine but up close it's not as pretty as it was.

Also keep it Gray Man like Kaos said. Take the NRA sticker off your car (or don't tread on me), leave your camo pajamas home.

Spring break is a great time to go camping but leave the gun in your car. Don't tell your friends it's there. Instead buy and tote around a can of Bear Spray.

*All this depends on if you're around like minded or not. In the military cadet crowd you can usually find some that are preparedness minded.

PS. Even if you don't want to be a cadet usually you can sign up for PT with them in the morning as a "special student". It's a great way to keep that Freshman 15 off your middle.

Know the laws in your area. I do not know them. I am not recommending you break any law. Keep certain aspects of your preps private that may get you into trouble with Johnny Law and you should be fine... breaking the law is bad... uummkkaayy?

Poke around on REI's web site for Backpacking check lists and advice.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Can't store firearms in your car on campus. I think you'd be asking for trouble there. Plus, lots of colleges don't allow freshmen to bring their cars because parking is so limited.

·
Keep your fists up.
312 Posts
Can't store firearms in your car on campus. I think you'd be asking for trouble there. Plus, lots of colleges don't allow freshmen to bring their cars because parking is so limited.
You can store your firearm in your car on campus in AZ. I don't know the laws for his area and that's why I suggested he check them.

The college cannot dictate if he brings his car or not.
If the college suggest he not bring his car because of parking issues then that's a very good reason to find a storage unit near campus with in walking or biking distance to store his car. Also if he has a friend that lives near campus in an apartment he could have his friend add the car to the apartment's lease so it can be parked there for free and with out worry of tow.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Light (flashlight or whatever), dried food such as jerky or whatever, a container to store water in, a pocket knife, bowl and spoon and fork, a can opener, one of those straw water filters, and a back pack to put them in, something (tarp or poncho or???) water proof, and that is about it.

Canned goods can be added, or perhaps you will score some. Water can likely be gotten. Warm clothes you likely already have.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You can store your firearm in your car on campus in AZ. I don't know the laws for his area and that's why I suggested he check them.

The college cannot dictate if he brings his car or not.
If the college suggest he not bring his car because of parking issues then that's a very good reason to find a storage unit near campus with in walking or biking distance to store his car. Also if he has a friend that lives near campus in an apartment he could have his friend add the car to the apartment's lease so it can be parked there for free and with out worry of tow.
well yeah, if he stores his car someplace off of campus they have no say. I meant that they usually don't issue parking permits to freshmen.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Storing guns in your car off campus is still a bad idea, there was a guy who was expelled after the authorities found his shotgun in his truck off campus after a morning dove hunt. Join the gun club on campus they usually have a place to store them or a local range. As far a BOB, get your preps and store them in a cheap jansport pack and dont tell people about them, if the word gets out just say you are going camping which you should be doing on a regular basis anyway. Get a group of like minded people on board and Learn from each other and camp together. This is the kind of thing I've been doing and I'm going on my fifth year in college in California so you can do it too :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
As far as I know colleges don't restrict knives, not sure how they could with them being a necessary tool, I know I used mine extensively when working on campus.

I commuted for the last 2 years and kept my GHB/BOB in my car. I had some food bars, a peanut butter jar, a large fixed blade guthook, leatherman, binoculars(I wear contacts and these would work as a last resort instead of my glasses), tarp, long underwear, rain poncho, 2 water bottles, lighter and matches along with fire-starter sticks, iodine tablets, fishing line, duct tape and a decent first aid kit with stuff for blisters. This bag would last for long enough to get me at least 3 days down the road. A firearm is overrated IMO, if I needed to get going and it appeared like it would be long term I would grab the archery equipment from my trunk. An arrow may not be the same as a bullet, but it would be a great deterrent, which when you're trying to move should be the main point. Also, they aren't illegal to keep in your trunk if they're unstrung as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
most outdoor clubs at campuses are a hippy outdoor retreat, and not very survival oriented. However they do allow you to have lots of camping stuff without any issues.

As for firearms there were lots of guns in our halls, and not one incident. Several pistols and a few firarms, brought in with double rifle cases, with things like testing equipment, radios, laptops, field gear written on them. This was at university of south carolina. while illegal, many people got away with it because unless you were part of the gun crowd you never saw them. I happened to have a range memebership so several went with me no problem. I think we may have had a armory on campus, but frankly never kept them there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't live on a campas, all I take with me in my bag is
toilet paper
surefire flashlight
over sized first aid kit
Camelbak water bottle
cell phone charger
cheap grab-n-stab knife

·
Registered
21 Posts
I lived in the fan (Richmond) for the past 7 years. . . . .Just moved out to ashland a few months ago .You really should look into the traintracks/railways and river for bug out route by foot . Both are very good options for near campus and run though most parts of the city. Since VCU is not a close campus and is spread though out down town and the fan. Keeping a fire arm and some kinda B.O.B in your car might be a possibility .VA just passed a law that you do not need a concealed weapon permite to keep a weapon concealed in your car.I think that would be something worth looking into doing . I still work in the city and my girlfriend still lives in the fan as well so I keep a b.o.b. or car kit in my trunk .As far a E.D.C. I carry a good amount of stuff in a black backpack and no one is the wiser.Seeing how every other person carries onearound here no one ever gives it a second thought. The freshman dorms suck and are small from what i remember . Id look into some kinda under bed storage system or possably cache some stuff near the river or tracks.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Katrina hit during the early part of fall semester, so this was actually an issue for students at several universities. Basically, what would you need to have on hand if the dining hall was closed and/or you couldn't leave your room or your building. Several posters have made good suggestions -- stuff that doesn't have to be cooked, extra water, flashlight and/or small solar lantern, some first aid items. Assuming you'll be eating in the dining hall, if they let you leave with food, you can quickly stock up on little boxes of cereal and things like that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wasn't really into survival or prepping when I was in college. However, knowing what I know now, I would definitely have done it differently (luckly my college days ended safely). I did always keep a medium sized swiss army knfie in my backpack (that came with me everywhere) along with a small flashlight. After the VT shootings, I started carrying a CCW firearm to class (note that I was carrying legally).

If I could do it over again, I would keep a very basic bag in my room. I would have food for 3 days, something like a filled cammelbak bladder (3L), some water purification / filtration method and a cup to boil water in, a few sources of fire, a basic fixed blade knife (like a mora), some 550 cord, basic med supplies / first aid kit, a light weight tarp or other very minimal shelter (some emergency blankets / large plastic bags would probably do), maybe some duct tape, some extra socks, small flash light etc...

You should realistically be able to fit something like the above in a relatively small (school size) backpack. The north face backpack that I used for college (and subsequently now use for work) would easily hold all that stuff. You don't need a field trauma kit, a full cook set, an ar-15 with 6 30 round mags, or anything like that. However, if you are displaced from your dorm in the middle of a cold night... it might be nice to be able to get a fire started... see what you are doing... not freeze to death... be well fed...

I would also make it a point to always be dressed for the weather or an impending event. Too many college kids wear shorts and flip flops to class in the winter because the class is right down the street. Get dressed for the weather. You will already be ahead of the general population if you have a good pair of multisport / hiking shoes or boots, warm clothing, and a proper jacket + head covering. My brother just started at a rather big school in a state close to yours (similar weather). When I was there to pick him up for winter break, I couldn't help but point out that he would be royally screwed if SHTF with what he was wearing (so would half of the kids there).

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Did anyone here keep some sort of BOB on them in college? My college is in an Urban environment (Richmond, VA), but i'd like to have some survival gear with me in college. Any ideas for putting together a really small but helpful BOB? I'll be in a dorm room, so space is limited.
Don't go nuts. A BOB is great to have, but can also easily walk away with someone else.

The off-dorm storage idea is a good one. That way you can have a cheap pared down setup in the dorm, and the more effective, expensive and valuable supplies locked up somewhere safe. Just make sure its 24 hour access.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
good question. Me, i go to college and i made myself a BOB which slowly turned into my camping bag. My school has a lot of the outdoorsy type so my bob, which is a military pack filled to the gills attracts little attention beyond its unique appearance (its flecktarn, most camping bags tend to be the us military colors).

What i suggest get a larger than normal backpack that you'll stuff in a corner and cover with a bunch of crap so if someone sneaks into your room to do hoodrat stuff, they'll be less likely to find it. You dont need much because i'll think your bob would most likely be more of a GHB. But basic things to have in it is a personal first aid kit with extra antibiotics (disease like the flu spread like wildfire on campus), a complete change of clothes, poncho, a modest knife (that you won't show anyone. My roommate of 3 years recently found out i sleep with a knife hidden nearby after he knocked into some of my stuff by accident), rain gear, a fill it with snacks like ramen noodles, granola etc), nalgine bottle, and a good flashlight with about 2+ changes of batteries. I also keep a set of clothes and my good boots to change into right next to the bag. Like most college students, you'll be dressed in ill prepared clothes for any sort of gtfo. Sweats, shorts, and "juicy" pants are not the best if you're running for your life and would fall apart quickly if you fall or scrape it on stuff.

Now, it'd be nice if you had a locker to store some extra goods but realistically, you're a college student so you won't have much disposable money and they tend to be pricey...

I also would be very wary of where you store your gun (if you bring one). The last place i would have it in if you plan on having for a SHTF is at a police station. I will claim complete ignorance of the law storing guns there but if anarchy ensues, do you think they'll just give you your gun? I would doubt it, it is just one dangerous item off the street at that moment. Keep it at a friends house, a gun club, etc. Storing it at a police station is a good place to keep it if you are going to hunt in the fall etc. I kept mine for a year there but they proved quite unwilling to return it to me when i went hunting and was berated with questions (though justifiably) wary of my "true" intentions. Also, their hours sucked 8am-3pm is impossible to deal with in hunting season. I just said nuts to that and kept it at a local towney friend of mine that i trust.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
MY "Bug Out" bag, in college, was made of cellophane.... I tried to keep it stocked but it was always depleted by Monday. I "Bugged Out" a lot back in those days. Wish I had all that money back!!!!!! Imagine all the preps I could buy....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts