Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd go to a large sporting/hunting store nearby. For someone unfamiliar with much of the contents of such a store, what would you suggest I check out?

What might be useful in a shtf scenario for bugging in or bugging out?

I figure there's stuff in that store that I don't even know exists, so help me out, guys. :)

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
Bass Pro shops sells a water bottle that filters water. I know there are pumps with a higher capacity but they will take up room and weight. I think it sells for about $45.
Cabela's sells quick clot (helps control bleeding) I think that would be pretty handy. I try to keep my stuff liight weight just in case I need to walk.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I thought I'd go to a large sporting/hunting store nearby. For someone unfamiliar with much of the contents of such a store, what would you suggest I check out?

What might be useful in a shtf scenario for bugging in or bugging out?

I figure there's stuff in that store that I don't even know exists, so help me out, guys. :)
You can get seriously sidetracked by big stores with lots of goodies that you didn't even know existed until you saw them.

I would instead sit down and make your list of essentials. There is plenty of info here to guide you on this site. Read. Use the search feature. Then make your own list. Then very methodically work the list. Get the essentials first and learn how to use the stuff you get.

I only caution you because if you are not working from a plan, you can waste a lot of money.

JMO

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
my friend came home from serving in the army in Iraq and told me that Quick Clot causes third degree burns and other complications, i dont think the military is using it anymore. might want to read up.

Hackman is right, quick-clot is known to cause burns. Although someone who could potentially bleed out wont complain much about burns if you save their life!! I know theres another product out there called HEMCON, its a hemostatic bandage that does a similar job of quick-clot but without the burns! The only downfall is the PRICE!!!!

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
my friend came home from serving in the army in Iraq and told me that Quick Clot causes third degree burns and other complications, i dont think the military is using it anymore. might want to read up.
I took your advice and googled Quick clot. It seems you are correct about the burns. I checked it out on numerous forums ranging from Military to EMS.
It has mixed reviews. I have taken the EMT course and we never had any discussions about clotting agents. I also found out that the newest version of quick clot only reaches a temp of 105, so it should not cause burns and that the bandages or sponges work better than the powder. Also it does not work very well on arterial bleeding as the pressure will force the plug (clot) out and the bleeding will resume. My thought is this would be a last resort during a survival situation where immediate medical attention is hours away or not available at all. I am going to ditch the powder as soon as I can get a bandage or sponge.

·
Registered
401 Posts
One of the best things at a large sporting goods store that you will be able to find there, and very few other places, is a large capacity water filter. My personal favorite is the First Need Delux, which is the only one proven to remove all the bugs, including viruses. Other good manufacturers are Katadyn and MSR.

These filters are high quality, well made, and portable.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
We got a Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage a few years ago, all my friends told me to check it out.
I wanted to pick up a couple of things for my fishing trip I was headed to.
When I walked in my jaw dropped. Thinking I had a clean American Express Card in my wallet, I was thinking I could hurt my self real bad.
So I chanted to myself, " you know what you need and thats all you're going to get ".
I walked out with a new Coleman air mattress , 4 new porcelain camp plates and a water cube (3 gals).
Never been to a Pro-Bass shop, but heard they are great.

·
Registered
401 Posts
We got a Sportsman's Warehouse in Anchorage a few years ago, all my friends told me to check it out.
I wanted to pick up a couple of things for my fishing trip I was headed to.
When I walked in my jaw dropped. Thinking I had a clean American Express Card in my wallet, I was thinking I could hurt my self real bad.
So I chanted to myself, " you know what you need and thats all you're going to get ".
I walked out with a new Coleman air mattress , 4 new porcelain camp plates and a water cube (3 gals).
Never been to a Pro-Bass shop, but heard they are great.
I dislike chain stores, but I have to admit that I like Bass Pro a.k.a. Wordwide Sportsman. Was just at one in Fort Myers, Fla and they had a cool Christmas setup for the kids, big salt water aquariums, and lots of crap to entice me.

Places like that are good to see what the options are and test some stuff out. They also have good sales. Still, I try to shop at locally owned businesses so more of my dollars stay in the community. Often times, if you present a local business with proof of a competitor's price, they will match it.

·
I'll fix it
2,547 Posts
I look for the sales and promotional specials when I go to Bass Pro.
Look at Knives, Flashlights, Guns, Ammo, sleeping bags, tents, stoves. camping gear, freeze dried food, ice chest. fishing gear, first aid kits, clothes, shoes.. this list goes on and on. They have tons of stuff to look at so, have a great time.
Fort Lauderdale Bass Pro has the Islamorada Fish Co. restaurant....yummy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.