Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all..I have been doing lots of surfing online on packs and organizational pouches and there is a HUGE market for these kinds of products, actually these companies like 5.11, and others are doing amazing right now. My question is do any of you insist on purchasing these types of items, especially the bags and vests and pouches, and if so, what were your reasons behind your decision. Secondly, are there some out there that have traditional "hiking" bags and such, who have bought a piece of tactical gear and now want to change over to all tactical.

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
I have a couple of Blackhawk 3 day Assault packs for BOB's for my wife and I. I also have a couple of their bags for travel. I find the quality second to none. The guy that started Blackhawk, did it because he was a Navy SEAL and had an equipment failure on one of the packs they obtained from Rambo Gear Inc, or who ever the hell they got it from. He vowed that would never happen to anyone again with his gear.
I have a smaller "low key" BOB that I keep in my truck for travel, work, etc. It is a Timbuk2 XL messenger bag in multi colors. It blends in with the population and doesn't make you stick out like a sore thumb. Picture a guy walking out of the office and down the street with his briefcase and a yuppie messenger bag. Or the guy carrying the Rambo Super Tactical Operations and Special Weapons Bag in ACU Camo with Skull Patches and AR-15 logos all over it.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Low key is best. You can go tacticool, but you could save some money and direct that savings towards other preps.

·
I come in peace..
1,285 Posts
I agree that its best to stay practical. You are talking about a real life situation where you want to save your life. I like to look good too, but practicality is pretty high on my list when dealing with S&P. To me practicality means buying as cheap as possible so your money goes further.

Buy the ordinary backpacks and fanny packs. Or army navy surplus. At the same time though, I watch out for low quality. Having your shoes give out on a long trek or your backpack zipper bust on a SHTF senario will suck.

Practicality also means looking normal and having equipment that fits the situation. If your in the jungle, then yes, jungle boots fit. If your in the suburbs, then sneakers will be what you want, or something liek that.

But then again, I DO like looking good while I do my thang.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
None of my gear looks tactical, even being ex military. I prefer to blend in. It is the same principle behind CCW. As a fighting weapon most concealed pistols suck, generally low power, short barrels, small magazines. The bad guy not knowing you have it, and being able to fire a few rounds close range in total surprise is the main weapon aspect of it. To anyone who doesn't know me, I look like a harmless granola bar chewing liberal hippie, and I'm fine with that. I do nothing to attract attention. I don't wear nice clothes, drive a fancy car, or even wear jewelry. Depending on what I am wearing for the day, I have been mistaken for being homeless. I patch and repair my own clothing(learning to sew will save you a lot of money) and have made about half of my gear.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Going tactical for what reason?

There is a big difference between surviving and being "expiditionary".

Calling attention to yourself by looking "military" makes you a perceved threat, if your motive is to go out and attack by all means look the part of GI Joe.

My kids have asked me about by tactical vests and drop leg holsters etc. and I've told them that if they want to play "dress up" join the armed forces.

We think defense not offense.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
There is a lot to be said for being "gray". Not tactical, but not helpless.

A man walking on the side of the road carrying a hunting rifle, dress in hunting camo and toting a hunting camo backpack I would think is less likely to raise a red flag than a man dressed in military camo, assault vest and a tweaked out AR-15.

Both are functional operator gear, but one stands out more. I am now trying to go gray as much as possible, BUT I will go to a "tactical" style gear if the functionality of an item is not offered in a civilian version and I think it is important enough.

·
Registered
123 Posts
For tactical

Try tadgear. The hardest thing about tactical gear is eats up alot of your money. Some of the stuff is worth it as a nice hardshell you can hike through anything with one. Of course a nice REI jacket does the same thing. To me this gear looks normal and can turn into tactical gear. Many of there jackets are made with CC in mind as a plus.

http://www.tadgear.com/what's_new.htm

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
You have some guys who go farmer, some that go community, some that go soldier, some that go loner trail walker, some that go forest dweller, some that go isolationist, some that are rambo kill on sight everyone, some that go religious and want to use SHTF as a conversion method and you have some that don't fit into any of these.

Personally, I believe in being tactical. I also know that guns can't plow a field. So what comes first? Vests and armor are great, if you have already set up how your going to eat. Personally I also have tactical gear. I have many guns and stores of ammunition. My land is set up for my best defense and training. I have plan B's and C's if need arise. But the first thing I spent money on was foods, and farming equipment. I could have the most secure home in the world but it does no good if I starved to death.

My point is this. Do what you think is best, just keep your priorities in order. Don't spend 3,000 on a second chance vest if you don't have a root cellar, and seeds tucked away. Don't buy a 4x4 land rover, if you don't have a horse. Don't buy a 3,000 barret .50 if you don't have land to farm on. Gangsters have machine guns, survivalists have reliable weapons and gear suited to long distance travel and sustaining of life.

Reactions: d3athp3nguin

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
in security- I think the biggest lesson I've learned is that physical presence is often enough to stop an incident before it begins. I LOVE TTS's take on life, but with me, since i'm- to quote a temporarily banned member, "a fat mall cop'" type, I'm not really ever going to blend in.

I use LBVs, pads (which actually feel great on my knees), ect as I need them, mainly when playing airsoft but occasionally for work (during the Ike aftermath for example). Despite my size I often have people think I'm a LEO. This obviously could come back to haunt me during a true SHTF scenario, but even then- it will lessen the number of people that seriously consider taking me on.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Going tactical for what reason?

There is a big difference between surviving and being "expiditionary".

Calling attention to yourself by looking "military" makes you a perceved threat, if your motive is to go out and attack by all means look the part of GI Joe.

My kids have asked me about by tactical vests and drop leg holsters etc. and I've told them that if they want to play "dress up" join the armed forces.

We think defense not offense.
Agreed to a degree. First off, don't be seen. Second, being perceved as a threat can some times be a good thing. Bullys don't pick fights with fighters no matter the size. The look for people that wont fight back. Think about when you were growing up. The giant bully would pick on you, up untill you broke his nose. Maybe he beats you up, but he sure enough never picks on you again.

That mentality doesn't change. Also tactical gear is practical. I wear much of it in real life. In NC you can carry a pistol almost anywhere as long as its out in the open. Then again my tactical stuff is concealed as I am licensed to do so.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
None of my gear looks tactical, even being ex military. I prefer to blend in. It is the same principle behind CCW. As a fighting weapon most concealed pistols suck, generally low power, short barrels, small magazines. The bad guy not knowing you have it, and being able to fire a few rounds close range in total surprise is the main weapon aspect of it. To anyone who doesn't know me, I look like a harmless granola bar chewing liberal hippie, and I'm fine with that. I do nothing to attract attention. I don't wear nice clothes, drive a fancy car, or even wear jewelry. Depending on what I am wearing for the day, I have been mistaken for being homeless. I patch and repair my own clothing(learning to sew will save you a lot of money) and have made about half of my gear.
First off, I think your pretty cool. Nothing wrong with your aproach even if mine is different. However, many Glocks.. many pistols in general are excellent weapons. I personally perfer my Jericho over a Glock. At 50 yards I hit the target every time. Many pistols of today are high performance. Ruger makes an excellent 9mm that does very well very cheap. I also agree about Jewelry. I don't bling. ;)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I have and use a cammo tactical vest when I am out hunting. I really enjoy the versatility of it. With it, I can carry my pack if I choose or add a small butt-back to the web belt with alce clips.

Do I carry a full load for my M4? No. (but its nice to know I can) The ammo pouches carry 20 oz water bottles nicely. Ditto for the radio pouch-it can hold my flashlight, some food and a scarf or pair of gloves. Skittles fit nicely into the pistol mag pockets and my cell phoner an camera fit into the compass pouch. If I choose not to carry a pistol, my cigarettes fit into the pistol holster. I keep a two quart canteen pouch as well b/c my binoculars fit well into them.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
That whole thing is situation dependent, if violence is random, blend in and don't look like you're worth anything, if violence is everywhere tacticool intimidation can work to you advantage because looking like you're ready for a fight and looking like you know what's and what you're doing can keep others from engaging with you. People will leave you alone for one of two reasons, you're worthless and have nothing or they feel if they mess with you you'll hand them their ass in return, but then you may have to deal with someone who knows what's up and is ready so it's really a double edged sword.

Why do you think SWAT officers generally wear all black and hoods, it's intimidation.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
First off, I think your pretty cool. Nothing wrong with your aproach even if mine is different. However, many Glocks.. many pistols in general are excellent weapons. I personally perfer my Jericho over a Glock. At 50 yards I hit the target every time. Many pistols of today are high performance. Ruger makes an excellent 9mm that does very well very cheap. I also agree about Jewelry. I don't bling. ;)
Yeah, I was talking more along the lines of snubbies and deep concealment .380s. I have a Glock 27, and will be carrying it when my permit finally gets here.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I have and use a cammo tactical vest when I am out hunting. I really enjoy the versatility of it. With it, I can carry my pack if I choose or add a small butt-back to the web belt with alce clips.

Do I carry a full load for my M4? No. (but its nice to know I can) The ammo pouches carry 20 oz water bottles nicely. Ditto for the radio pouch-it can hold my flashlight, some food and a scarf or pair of gloves. Skittles fit nicely into the pistol mag pockets and my cell phoner an camera fit into the compass pouch. If I choose not to carry a pistol, my cigarettes fit into the pistol holster. I keep a two quart canteen pouch as well b/c my binoculars fit well into them.
I agree with you man. In fact my vest makes life SO much easier. Its like a BOB, you know everything is already there, no need to scramble to pack. My vest already has my gear inside. I can litterally be Bug out Ready in 2 minutes tops. Or I can get home from work and go hunting in seconds.

Reactions: Highlander
1 - 18 of 18 Posts