Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on vacation with my wife, son and dog in a couple weeks and we've rented a cottage on a lake for a week. I would like to compile a list for packing keeping being prepared in mind and wanted to get some thoughts.

The place we rented has everything we need except for food so other than clothes and the usuals here are some things that I'm bringing.

Radios, hand crank and battery powered for NOAA and any news in case of any situation.

Rifle, mags, ammo (not a normal vacation item for me but just in case)

Katadyn Pocket filter (I want it for emergency but may just test it out with the lake water as I haven't used it yet)

Extra batteries and supplies etc.

I'm thinking about bringing one of my Honda EU2000 generators in case the power goes out or for whatever other use as well as a couple 5gal cans of gas. Should I bother?

What else should I consider other than the usual vacation items? I'm thinking a list with disaster preparedness in mind.

thoughts?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:)
How about a medical kit?
72 hour 'family' kit/bag for leaving quick or if needed, while traveling
Oh yeah, I always have a FAK, I should have mentioned that but yes, I plan on bringing an extra one.

As far as the 72 hour kit, I'll have a 168hr kit :D:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went to Oklahoma last week and brought my Baretta 9mm and Pistol-grip pump 12-gauge. My wife said I was crazy.

I work about 21 miles from my house and I always carry my handgun and leave my sneakers and socks in the car in case of EMP. Don't want to walk home in my dress shoes.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Any thoughts?

Yeah, have fun!

This might seem like bad advice, but sometimes it's ok to pack light, if it removes that much more stress.

Take your family and remember that this is about relieving stress, not adding to it.

Get your fishing pole, bug spray, HIKING (not bug out) back pack, and maybe a few items you've been itching to test out and go have fun.

If you want to do a survivalist related activity, then show your family how to baton wood for your camp fire. Or how to sustain a coal for latter use.

My friend I want to see THIS

Not this.

Don't forget the water waiters, and .22 Rat shot for snakes.

Reactions: snowdog650

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I agree with crutch make this about relaxing, and don't forget the BEER. Don' t go overboard and spend the whole time worrying family memories are some of the best things to have when in bad situations.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
To be fair though. My wife asked me to not bring my BOB, and I simply couldn't leave it behind.

I also brought my ar15 and 9mm pistol... we were only going 2 hours away camping.

Maybe we all share that paranoia? That unease of leaving your options behind you.

If so, then bring everything that satiates your apprehension. And despite my hypocrisy, at least try to be a minimalist.

·
Customized Member
529 Posts
This might seem like bad advice, but sometimes it's ok to pack light, if it removes that much more stress.
Thank you for this statement, Crutch. I'm actually packing for vacation myself and my list keeps getting longer. I'm stressing myself more than I should, given that this is supposed to be FUN! I needed this reminder. :)

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
You are going to have a blast my friend.

Just a few more tips.

Don't use the blankets or sheets. Bring your own.

I know they are clean, but Personally, I always bring a sleeping bag with me and sleep on top of the beds.

I'm weird that way.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Go minimalist. Think ultralight.

Skip the stove, kitchen sink and all the associated garbage.

Think personal stuff, the pocket sized stuff and a small BOB.
Think fishing gear, small grill grate, etc.

You're not escaping from anywhere, you're not occupying the area, just relaxing. Consider it a picnic rather than survival.

If the power goes out? Big deal. Light a couple candles and have a romantic fish dinner with a bottle of wine. Power still out, sit back and have real conversation, not just discussing what's on at 9 o'clock. Take a deck of cards and some board games. Maybe even a book.

Me, I have a 5-11 "push pack" that I use as my GHB. It goes everywhere with me, it contains a spare handgun, ammo, fire lighters, flashlight and batteries, minimal FAK, knife, a couple space blankets and a partial roll of gorilla tape.

It may not have everything in it, but it has enough to make it easier on me and mine. It's enough and doesn't require packing along several tubs and packs of stuff that "may" be needed. If the situation deteriorates past candles and fishing gear, I'll have already left and be headed for home anyway.

Remember to relax. It's not always about "survival", sometimes just living can be quite fun.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone and I plan to fully relax and enjoy my much time needed off. Well try to because I know work will be bugging me the whole time and that will truly be the SHTF situation for my vaca but oh well.

I just want to bring a few things that I normally wouldn't and that peace of mind will help me relax even more. As you all know that's the way it is now in our everyday lives, as we prep we feel better knowing that we are that much more adapt at being able to handle whatever life may throw at us.

Same thing on vaca, just want to make sure I have a few things to make sure if anything bad goes down I can handle it and I mean that outside of the normal scope of what one would prepare for with a vaca.

Keep any other suggestions coming.

Like I said in the OP I think I may want to test out that Katadyn just so I know what to expect even though it makes be nervous as I don't want to get sick just from testing a filter out...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Consider getting a water sample through the straw and having it tested when you get home to see how well it filtered the water..........

I would bring at least one firearm, but then you should always carry a firearm anyways.......................

Instead of generator bring candles or oil lamps if you have them........ and if you have never used them before this woul d be the perect time to try them out.........

·
Padre of the holy weld.
502 Posts
im on vacation right now, i brought my ak, 1911, bugout bag, little bag of possables, edc and thats about it. oh yeah hand crank light/radio. and the day to day tools in the truck. i think your overthinking it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts