Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Les Stroud is great. I only saw one episode of the show and I kept it around, just in case. Are there more episodes of their adventure or was it just a one shot wonder?

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
definately worth the time to watch all the parts on youtube. It was quite enjoyable.

·
Angry Libertarian
168 Posts
That was awesome. I hope to have something similar to that one day when we can afford it. I really like Les Stroud. He's a very humble and smart guy. I always enjoy watching Survivorman.

I don't know if I'd take to his extreme so far out though, I would go pretty crazy without high speed internet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Now that's the way to go right there. That's a very cool video. If I win the lotto or discover some rich dead uncle with a big inheritance for me, I'm doing that right there. But my house would be the beginning of an entire city off the grid.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You can get started with Alternate Energy "fairly" cheap. Now a system like this is not going to run the average American house. However it will run a small house where folks conserve pretty good. It's main use would be as a backup system. Coupled with a generator as an AC power source, you would be limited to just the small input from the DC side (the solar panel). Keep in mind a system like this is very easy to expand. Buy the biggest inverter you can afford as this will likely be the only thing that will need to be "upgraded" as your system grows. This is because inverters are rated on watts. For example the one in this video- a DR1512 is rated for 1,500 watts at 12 volts. If the system grew to wear it was able to produce more than 1,500 watts, a new inverter would be needed. Therefore if you KNOW your going to "grow" your system over time, buy the biggest inverter you can afford to begin with.

There's a great difference between a real inverter designed for Alternate Energy systems and those cheapie $79. "inverters" you find at Walmart. The sine waves will be different which means you may not be able to run certain electronic equipment on the cheapie models. Also the cheapie models will NOT as a general rule have the ability to act as a charger. If you want to charge your batts via your genset, then you'll need an inverter that also acts as a charger. Any real inverter designed for Alternate Energy use will have that feature.

This video will also show you the kind of abuse that a solar panel WILL take :D:

Lowdown3

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
you can find the whoe series on You Tube, or on here it's been posted a few times.

·
Registered
56 Posts
"There's a great difference between a real inverter designed for Alternate Energy systems and those cheapie $79. "inverters" you find at Walmart."

Is that why my $79 inverter from WalMart lasted only a month? I used it in my truck for my laptop and phone charger at the same time regularly.

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
good series, and one that many should watch so they are not confused as to why folks want to be more self reliant and less dependent on the infrastructure of their AO .
It isn't just about "running to the hills" to be a dirt farmer as some would have you believe!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
"There's a great difference between a real inverter designed for Alternate Energy systems and those cheapie $79. "inverters" you find at Walmart."

Is that why my $79 inverter from WalMart lasted only a month? I used it in my truck for my laptop and phone charger at the same time regularly.
That's got a lot to do with it. The other factor is that the cheapie "inverters" (most) will not also act as a CHARGER for the batteries.

With that Xantrex (Trace) inverter we showed in the video, you can charge the batteries via a generator or even grid power if you had it- no grid power at that hunting camp we filmed that at.

Unless your willing to drop $40K or more for a sizable system and even then still deal with potential periods of time of no sun or wind, then a backup generator is going to be a crucial part of your AE system.

Since most folks already have a generator of some sort, that video is a good way to show how, with a little more invested, you can get a modest system set up for off grid or backup use.

Lots of good stuff you can do with your AE system in an emergency. It's worth more than just a venue to play Xbox during the SHTF. It opens up a lot of possibilities with security, comms and labor saving devices that would not have been without power.

Contrary to popular thinking, LONG TERM most of us aren't going to be sitting around playing Yahtzee or for the younger crowd- Xbox. There will be PLENTY to keep us busy. If having an AE system means that wash can be done in 20 minutes versus half the day, well that's half a day's more time you'll have for food production, security work, schooling kids, etc. Having lights means you can work into the night putting up food (don't forget those blackout curtains!) which means more people you can support. The security applications are fairly easy to envision, but the neat ones take some clever thinking :eek:

Lowdown3

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is awsome information I hope to move off grid as well looking for a chep peace of land today is very hard, but have never given up and love all the information out there today

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Les Stroud's system is very much like mine. It takes a bit to get use to, big electrical projects like rug cleaning needs to be done on a sunny day, preferably with wind so not to be a drain on the system. If you still use an electrical washer for laundry would have to be planned in advance. A shower is easy but it can't be happening while someone else is vaccuming or playing video games. My refridgerator is LP so it doesn't drain the system. If we ever can't get LP I have a spring house though I have to walk close to a football field away to get to it. The LP fridge is a conveneice to say the least.:)

They system itself works pretty well, but it wouldn't work for those families that want water at demand (a pump uses a great deal of electricity) at the same time they want to vaccum at the same time they want to watch a DVD on a TV. My DVD players is rechargable meaning I only get about 3 hours of watching DVDs every night. I recharge during the day when the sun is out. Same for my laptop here. I do most of my net surfing either at work or during the day and I'm not a big fiction watcher.

It just takes a bit of time to get use to. The good this about it is when I got to work this morning I found out that the 50 mile an hour + winds we had last night knocked out power to the Wisconsin side of the river. I slept snug as a bug in a rug with my wood stove crackling (last night it was down to 26 degrees) and my wind generators plugging away. While I am aware of the weather, because I have to be to get the best use of my electrical system, it's no longer something I have to fear. What I do have to fear is once a year I have to climb the wind towers and service the head to keep it working in top condition. A wind generator is not something to have if you are scared of heights.:eek::

Tury

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes nice system, my system is along the same lines. 6 batteries 6 volts each, Crown very similiar to Trojans, Xantrex Freedom 2500 watt inverter charger and a Honda Eu 3000 inverter generator.

What is nice about this system is that I can run the batteries down to 60 % charge, then start the Honda and the Xantrex has them charged and floating in about 2 1/2 hours.
Coupled with a Link remote, you can monitor what amphours you have used, current battery status, current draw etc. also how much amp hours you have left.

I have all this mounted in a rv, so usually in the morning we fire up the Honda and make coffee, once the Honda starts the Xantrex automatically switches the rv over to generator power and load shares the incoming power from the Honda, takes a portion to run the rv and then the rest goes to power the battery charger, accomplishing two tasks at once, and its idiot proof, all automatic.

Usually at dinner time, we fire the Honda back up, batteries are recharged fully, lots of power to run the rest of the night off the batteries.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts