Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Me and my father have been talking about walking off and going into the wilderness to live. Forget society and all the things with it, and go out to survival in the wilderness. Was thinking along the lines of Colorado or Montana, something along these regions. Anyone have any suggestions of where to go?? Is it possible to just walk off into the woods somewhere, and begin survival from there??? Any suggestions will be really appreciated

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Private property laws need to be considered, and check into federal land regulations on how long you can stay in one area etc.

I don't think it's realistic but I am also intrigued by the idea of walking off the grid and abandoning society altogether.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Me and my father have been talking about walking off and going into the wilderness to live. Forget society and all the things with it, and go out to survival in the wilderness. Was thinking along the lines of Colorado or Montana, something along these regions. Anyone have any suggestions of where to go?? Is it possible to just walk off into the woods somewhere, and begin survival from there??? Any suggestions will be really appreciated
The only way to legally accomplish this is to be transient. You can't live on private land, and there are rules for how long you can live on government land. For example, Oregon BLM says you can camp 2 weeks in one spot, and then must move to another spot, not returning to any previous spots sooner than 31 days from the time you left. Also, you'd have to return to town every so often to purchase new game tags, otherwise you'd be poaching.

The transient lifestyle will be your largest hurdle. Because you have no "home base" to store food and winter-out the cold months, you'd have to be extremely hardy and inventive.

Again, I'm not gonna say it's impossible, but I don't think you and your father have really thought this one through. Sit down and run your day by day activities through in your head, because sustained wilderness living certainly isn't cat-napping at the fishing hole all day. It's more like incessant and hard upkeep work while you're starving. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
not sure if thats possable,,,u might be able to live in the wilds but will still need supplies at some point,,,,unless you and your dad have some good skills in bushcraft an foraging its going to be a tough go ,,im not saying it cant be done ,,,i think it can but it requires a high degree of skill and a huge bunch of luck

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
,, its a tought thing to do when u got cash and time to build in
The only way to legally accomplish this is to be transient. You can't live on private land, and there are rules for how long you can live on government land. For example, Oregon BLM says you can camp 2 weeks in one spot, and then must move to another spot, not returning to any previous spots sooner than 31 days from the time you left. Also, you'd have to return to town every so often to purchase new game tags, otherwise you'd be poaching.

The transient lifestyle will be your largest hurdle. Because you have no "home base" to store food and winter-out the cold months, you'd have to be extremely hardy and inventive.

Again, I'm not gonna say it's impossible, but I don't think you and your father have really thought this one through. Sit down and run your day by day activities through in your head, because sustained wilderness living certainly isn't cat-napping at the fishing hole all day. It's more like incessant and hard upkeep work while you're starving. :thumb:

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
Google Chris McCandless. He did just that, and died of starvation. And that was in Alaska where there's considerably more game available.
Don Nichols and his son did this too, and they made out pretty well. However, Don had lots of hard core wilderness survival knowledge, and knew how to apply it. Their big mistake was to become murderers, and that's what ended their wilderness survival in Montana. Google Don Nichols for the whole story.

You're going to find that on public land, if a game officer or forest ranger comes upon you, you will be responsible for adhering to fish and game laws, and will be compelled to move on. As, one can only camp in one spot on public land for 14 days, after that you have to move at least 25 miles from that camp.

Before I would consider a task such as what you seek, you'll need very thorough skills on meat preservation, as in warm weather, flies blow eggs on any meat, and maggots will follow quickly, rendering your meat inedible within a few days.

Research your target area very extensively, as you'll need an area with lots of game, firewood, and water. This is NOT something that's easily accomplished, especially now days.

Also google Lars Monsen, the Norwegian that walked from Alaska all the way through Canada. He also had extensive survival skills.

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
Colorado? Montana? Those wilderness areas will have you dead in hours in the winter. Go somehwere warm and tropical, maybe the national parks in hawaii....lol, that's where I'd want to end up surviving if I had to.

·
This site sucks
1,980 Posts
Will you two please include me in your will. COME ON, have you actually read any post on here? If you are serious you will know enough that you don't have to ask in a forum. That said I will take this as a joke. If you two do really go, then you are dead unless dad knows way more then you do.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Please keep in mind that Native Americans did this for centuries when Game was more plentiful. Typically they called part of winter "The Starving Moon" For good reason....the food ran out.

It MIGHT be easier, in some ways considering modern weaponry. IF you get enough Game/fish, AND can smoke/preserve it and cache it in safe widespread locations that could be found in heavy snow. Also you had best brush up on wild edibles and have a GOOD WARM Shelter.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
Muhahahahahaaaaaa,you two must be slow in the mind,like me.
I did that when I was younger,a few times.
First into the everglades,lasted 2 months,got really skinny.
I did alot of fishing,and used fish traps and all,I knew how to survive,but that is all I did,not very fun.
South Florida got to crowded for me ,so to MOntana I went in Oct,of 84.
I lasted 1 week,near Glacier park,got real cold.
Wintered in Babb Montana,in a small shack,no electric or anything,then got a job next spring on a ranch.
Been in Montana eversince.
Found a Mt girl setteleddown,had kids,their on their own now.
Montana is the place for me.
But you asking for advice to just wander off in to the wilderness,learn skills first.
Spend some time in the wilds first,and then I think that you will change yer tune.

·
Registered
257 Posts
There are advantages to being transient, aka nomadic. You don't have to suffer through the rocky mountain winter, just move some place warmer. In some places, you do not have to travel great distances to do that. Where I live, the elevation can vary between 3,000 feet and 9-10,0000 feet within a few days walk.

Food would be a problem. The rockies are pretty arid, and although there are plenty of edible plants they are usually not very nutritous. A lot of the best spots for the high nutrition vegetation naturally were settled. You would have a tough time surviving on birds (although this used to be possible with pine hens), and the rodents (including rabbits) are disease ridden for much of the year. Big game is sporadic, and you can only get a few tags each year (many of which will require you to have an address). Whatever you do take can only be hunted during specific seasons, usually in the fall. I have never seen a BLM, Forest Service or State fish cop more than a hundred yards from his truck, so I don't think poaching would be too risky if you are far enough from the roads (except on NPS lands). But with big game you then run into McCandles problem, and smoking meat is not as easy in the sticks as it is at home. Plus, it creates a lot of evidence that someone is poaching.

I think the best source of food would be fishing. The government artificially stocks lakes and streams, there is no limit on how much you can take, and (at least in my state) you can fish year round. Just find an area with productive fishing at lakes or rivers at different altitudes, and then move up and down the chain as the weather changes.

I still think you would need to stock up on occassion at a grocery, and it would really improve morale to have a pizza now and then.

·
1,583 Posts
Google Chris McCandless. He did just that, and died of starvation. And that was in Alaska where there's considerably more game available.
Don Nichols and his son did this too, and they made out pretty well. However, Don had lots of hard core wilderness survival knowledge, and knew how to apply it. Their big mistake was to become murderers, and that's what ended their wilderness survival in Montana. Google Don Nichols for the whole story.

You're going to find that on public land, if a game officer or forest ranger comes upon you, you will be responsible for adhering to fish and game laws, and will be compelled to move on. As, one can only camp in one spot on public land for 14 days, after that you have to move at least 25 miles from that camp.

Before I would consider a task such as what you seek, you'll need very thorough skills on meat preservation, as in warm weather, flies blow eggs on any meat, and maggots will follow quickly, rendering your meat inedible within a few days.

Research your target area very extensively, as you'll need an area with lots of game, firewood, and water. This is NOT something that's easily accomplished, especially now days.

Also google Lars Monsen, the Norwegian that walked from Alaska all the way through Canada. He also had extensive survival skills.
Was chris mcandalls that dummy from the movie into the wild? Idiot.

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
Was chris mcandalls that dummy from the movie into the wild? Idiot.
Yep! That's the dummy. While I admire Chris's bravery, his not preparing properly overshadowed his good points. And he died because of his stupid actions. He didn't even have any idea on how to preserve meat in the Alaskan summer. He would have probably been alive still if he had done some research and practiced real survival skills before going on his journey.
The wilderness is a very UNforgiving environment for those that are not ready for it.

Believe it or not, the coroner that did the autopsy on Chris, listed a fishing pole in his belongings found, and apparently, Chris didn't even try fishing in an excellent fishing area! Now THAT is stupid!

·
Team 30-30 Mem. #190
327 Posts
Well, public land in a rural state like New Jersey or Rhode Island would be wise choices. Perhaps Kamchatka also.
Yeah, we got those people here in Jersey. See them all the time, specially when they come into town for their welfare checks.

We call them Homeless :D:

I think it’s possible, but we don’t have the lifelong experiences to completely cut ourselves off from “civilization” like we could a hundred years ago. It would take a lot of book & practical learning to get by. Can you handle living off of smoked & salted meats and beans and hold up in a cabin for months at a time with no communication with the outside world ?
Yeah, I’d like to find a backwoods home myself, but I’d still like to be able to drive into town now & then for a coffee and some socialization.

·
"This is my Boomstick!"
1,774 Posts
Good luck!

Be sure to bring a plastic bucket and a reliable knife with. Oh and if you are going to Colorado or Montana you had better bring a warm winter coat and hat just like mom would always say.

Seriously though, I have to admit that it sounds tempting at times. To be realistic, either you will end up coming back very soon, die, or make it some how. But the first two are far more likely to happen first.

The reason I mentioned a plastic bucket and knife is because of someone that did this and made it happen with just these two items in the Appalachian wilderness back in the 70's-80's. Well he also had a bandanna to cover his... well you know.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Read Tom Brown Jr's survival manuals. Then practice every technique thoroughly till you have a firm grasp on them, then do a trial of about 3 days putting all the techniques together and see how you hold up. If that doesn't change your mind, try a month. If you can do that, maybe you have a chance. Once you have a grasp on basic survival techniques and mindset, it's doable. But like someone else said, game isn't as plentiful in the US as it used to be, it's getting harder and harder to find clean water (chemical-laden that boiling and filtering, even sometimes distilling, won't fix), and yeah, if you get caught poaching it's your ass. The key is practice, though. Know thyself and thy limits.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts