Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the ILBE 2 system, so I'm using that as my go bag. Just got two IFAKs off ebay, which have nice, spacious pouches.

Trip to Walmart netted me:
Ozark mess kit
Two flatware packs
Two camping tp rolls
One dude wipe pack
Bleed stop for the IFAK

Hand sanitizer wipes

I have a lifestraw for the pack,and the sleep system and compression for the ILBE bag, and a two man tent.

My next supply run will be fire starting stuff. I'm thinking a lighter, windproof waterproof matches, and a metal sparking thing. Three ways should work, right?

Then, camping stove and fuel. Any recommendations on that?

I'm thinking to get my ILBE packed with its own IFAK, clothes, cooking stuff, and strap the tent. Then practice walking with it so I get used to its weight.

I dallied a bit on prepping but I'm making steps to move forward with it for certain now.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Two pairs of hiking shorts I'll be testing at Epcot tomorrow, $18 each.

I have combat boots and wool socks for them. They work well, but I need something to dry my feet while walking.

·
Super Moderator
3,498 Posts
Go where and for how long?

Big supporter of WetFire. I also carry fatwood. I prefer a Zippo and carry a can of fuel and extra flints (because you can light it and set it down)

I use either an Esbit stove, alcohol stove or the military style that works with a USGI canteen cup. I carry Esbit fuel cubes in one canteen pouch where the water purification tabs go. It holds 3 28gram cubes.

The shorts are nice, but I would go down to one pair. Up the socks to 3 pair and add a towel.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Second that, add WHY?

I try to follow the 2 is 1 and 1 is none philosophy. Remember you have to carry all this stuff and Oz=Lbs

Why do you need TP and dude wipes? I got some porta wipes form amazon they are compressed TP and towelettes. saves space.

There are plenty of threads on here to cover your needs that are cheaper. ie. cotton balls in vaseline. There are also other things you can buy that may cost more. ie. Black Beard Fire Starters, The ultimate fire starter. water proof windproof no exp date. or similar.

Ditch the tent for a tarp and learn how to make a shelter from that. Tarps have multiple uses.

combat boots suck lol investing some good comfortable boots smart wool socks work great, your feet will thank you.

Shorts are for hiking not surviving IMO, I prefer to keep my legs covered for any number of reasons, unless Im just hiking.

Add to you water supply camel back or similar, purification tabs. I use survivor straws vice life straws I carry replacement filters, they also filter our viruses.

What about food calories? I keep nuts I have some lifeboat food bars. at least 1 MRE or FSR .

Flat ware out, a good camping spork in titanium ones are <$15 on amazon saves weight. accomplishes the same tasks. titanium camp stove as well. also form amazon.

Ive used the tumble weeds to start my grill they work, I wouldnt carry them

Ill assume youre referring to empty IFAK pouches since you also mention getting 1st aid items, I have purchased severs IFAK kits on Ebay. I prefer the north American rescue SIRK kits I have one in each car and each bag among other misc. items they have quality contents and are vacuum sealed. Bleed stopping agents should be included in any IFAK kit.
I have added a few things to supplement my IFAKs:
-quick seal or similar wound spray
-dermaplast or similar antiseptic spray
-sheers
-foot powder
-SAM splint

other things I think are a must have:
-550 cord. survivor cord makes some cordage with snare wire threat and waxed jute
-folding and fixed knife with a good sharpener.
-water tabs
-leather palmed or similar utility/tactical gloves
-zip ties
-electrical and duck tape.
-sillock/utility key
-good flashlight

Im sure there is more that was just off the top of my head.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found my two FILBE packs, so I switched over to that.

I'm assuming a get home back for up to three days.

Based on your recommendation, I checked and found there's an M71 Swiss stove that looks good and only 6oz. I'll try that out and see how it goes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any spe

Big supporter of WetFire. I also carry fatwood. I prefer a Zippo and carry a can of fuel and extra flints (because you can light it and set it down)

I use either an Esbit stove, alcohol stove or the military style that works with a USGI canteen cup. I carry Esbit fuel cubes in one canteen pouch where the water purification tabs go. It holds 3 28gram cubes.

The shorts are nice, but I would go down to one pair. Up the socks to 3 pair and add a towel.
Any specific socks or just 3 pair that work with sneakers?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Second that, add WHY?

I try to follow the 2 is 1 and 1 is none philosophy. Remember you have to carry all this stuff and Oz=Lbs

Why do you need TP and dude wipes? I got some porta wipes form amazon they are compressed TP and towelettes. saves space.
I was going with 2 is 1, 1 is none there. From what it looks like, the dude wipe can clean more than just the behind, like baby wipes, so I can clean my face, armpits, etc. and do without a shower for a day or two.
There are plenty of threads on here to cover your needs that are cheaper. ie. cotton balls in vaseline. There are also other things you can buy that may cost more. ie. Black Beard Fire Starters, The ultimate fire starter. water proof windproof no exp date. or similar.
That's the stuff I saw a while back that looked like a good fire starter. I'll put it on my (growing) list.
Ditch the tent for a tarp and learn how to make a shelter from that. Tarps have multiple uses.
That's what I hear. What about a one man tent?

As for a tarp, which kind of set up would you use there? Tarp, paracord/bungee, some kind of bivvy? I'm open to suggestions here. I know weight is an issue, though I've only slept inside tents and in sleeping bags while camping, so it would be a new experience. My preference is a tent to keep bugs out.
combat boots suck lol investing some good comfortable boots smart wool socks work great, your feet will thank you.
They do their job well, but they are definitely frustrating to put on and take off. I'm open to good brands if anyone knows any. I do enjoy wool socks. I'll grab a three pack soon.
Shorts are for hiking not surviving IMO, I prefer to keep my legs covered for any number of reasons, unless Im just hiking.
Would you suggest just some lightweight hiking pants?
Add to you water supply camel back or similar, purification tabs. I use survivor straws vice life straws I carry replacement filters, they also filter our viruses.
Do you have a link for the other straw? I'll look into it. I also saw some ClO2 and purification tabs at Walmart I can pick up. At the moment all I have is the 3L hydration system and a life straw.
What about food calories? I keep nuts I have some lifeboat food bars. at least 1 MRE or FSR .
I'm open to suggestions here. I'm thinking 6000 calories for three days max. I have ration bars here in the cabinet that I got last year. What's FSR?

Flat ware out, a good camping spork in titanium ones are <$15 on amazon saves weight. accomplishes the same tasks. titanium camp stove as well. also form amazon.
Spork over flatware? Interesting. Because it's metal, I guess?
Ive used the tumble weeds to start my grill they work, I wouldnt carry them

Ill assume youre referring to empty IFAK pouches since you also mention getting 1st aid items, I have purchased severs IFAK kits on Ebay. I prefer the north American rescue SIRK kits I have one in each car and each bag among other misc. items they have quality contents and are vacuum sealed. Bleed stopping agents should be included in any IFAK kit.
I have added a few things to supplement my IFAKs:
-quick seal or similar wound spray
-dermaplast or similar antiseptic spray
-sheers
-foot powder
-SAM splint

other things I think are a must have:
-550 cord. survivor cord makes some cordage with snare wire threat and waxed jute
-folding and fixed knife with a good sharpener.
-water tabs
-leather palmed or similar utility/tactical gloves
-zip ties
-electrical and duck tape.
-sillock/utility key
-good flashlight

Im sure there is more that was just off the top of my head.
A lot of good info, thanks. I'm trying to catch up, so a lot of things to buy and pack. I put some stuff in my online cart. Once I empty that I'll keep going and update this post.

The IFAK has some stuff in it, but not scissors, just metal tweezers, bandaids, some alcohol wipes. I have some silver antibacterial to put in there.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Im not gonna quote all of that its almost lunchtime lol but ill do my best to respond in order.
-I carry a wash cloth and I always take those little bars of soap and shampoos from hotels because Im paying for them. Wash cloth is reusable dude wipes are not.
-There are tons of fire different starting methods and fuels. some home made some store bought.
-Tarps are quick to set up provide good shelter. take up less space. make a tent out of a tarp. You can always get a hammock keeps you off the ground, light and takes up little space. and can keep bugs out.
-Combat boots are horrible a goo hiking boot will serve you better. Salomon makes good comfortable shoes/boots for just about every environment.
-Light weight hiking pants? I guess depends on you AO, Id probably go with a sturdy cargo pant.
- SURVIVOR FILTER™ Cleanable Water Filter Straw
-FSR is first strike ration. similar to MRE less calories 3 meals instead of 1. being on the move for 3 days you are going to want more than 6000 calories. but water > calories
-Yes metal spork, last longer spoon fork knife all in one, reusable.
-Good trauma sheers not scissors and bandaids alcohol wipes and antibacterial is not an IFAK its a boo-boo kit. You can buy off the shelf IFAKs add some mole skin for the blisters your going to get on your feet.
-3L of water MAY get you through 1 day.

·
Grevcon 8
16,877 Posts
There's a lot I could add here but for now I'll just throw in a quick tip: If you're going to carry a life straw get a pre filter. I suggest a sponge because it's multi-use and can get water out of tricky locations including off surfaces. You want clear water for a straw with no debris or you risk clogging it too quickly. Lots of things will work but you want to run the water through something else before it goes in the bottle you're drinking from with the straw.

I'll also leave the tip that everyone has a tendency of building a long term wilderness bag for their walk home from work through the city/burbs/country roads. Don't lose sight of the bag's purpose. Have separate bags for separate purposes and especially environments.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the suggestions. Very helpful. I'll start next with a Survivor Straw. Would you do the straw alone, the one with the bags, or the hand pump? I'll get the metal sporks Monday or so.

Today I got:

Personal Care: 2 toothbrush holders, 1 3-pack kleenex, 2 chapsticks
IFAK: 2 travel tylenols, 2 cortisone-10s, 2 jock itch and 2 athlete's foot creams; these will be divided into my and my wife's bags; 2 trauma shears are coming. Soon I'll do the tourniquets, clotting gauze, etc.
Fire: 2 long lighters, 2 waterproof match containers with 25 matches each
Food: 1 mess kit for the wife; I already have mine.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Well im sitting here at work with nothing to do so.......

I have several of these and always look for new ones to put away. 1 in each vehicle gonna pick some up for my teenagers as well

as for the survival stray i opted for the one with the bags because i can store them easily and fill them and attach the straw as necessary.

2 of all those things is good if you are putting them in different bags. I wouldn't do 2 of the same I'd 2 multiple methods like 1 lighter 1 matches 1ferro rod maybe some potassium permanganate & glycerin or some other means, remember oz =lbs lighter is better. the little things add up. >especially when you are not use to carrying that weight.

Its good to think of and start getting these things together as you can.

To run a marathon you have to start with 1 step.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Definitely. The survival books I've read all seem to present some extreme cases for the sake of drama. I'm hoping the worst for me is headaches or constipation, and not starvation, dehydration, or food poisoning.

I just added trauma shears to my kits.

·
Registered
901 Posts
As you add items, just my .02, add quality items. Spend a little extra coin on quality trauma sheers for example.

To piggy back on what Colt said hygiene is the least of your worries for a 3 day extravaganza.

·
Grevcon 8
16,877 Posts
Yep. If it's a 3 day bag, focus on 3 days. Don't try to do everything with 1 bag. You're not going to starve to death in 3 days and you're not going to die of a tooth abscess because you didn't brush for 3 days. Worry about the mission. What's going to help you be where you need to be in 3 days? I'd rather have a battery charger able to recharge my phone and potentially get me a ride or rescue than a pocket fishing kit. One of those things can make a difference in less than 3 days even though they both have about the same weight and size requirements. Likewise I'd rather have a pistol that's going to keep me from getting mugged on the side of a road than a rifle for hunting.

That's not saying anything against having those things, but different tools for different missions. And start from the most common to the least common scenarios. People trying to cash in as fake experts will want to take you straight to the high drama fiction version of stuff and you're going to find yourself just another victim when the more common realistic stuff happens. That's become very apparent to me over my years watching other supposed survivalists. They've got a full battle set and gigantic INCH bag at home but when they get a flat tire in the country 20 miles from home or their power goes out they're in the exact same shoes as every other normie both ill equipped for and unable to mentally or physically handle inevitable minor SHTF.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Colt I was going to make a similar point to getting a flat tire. Most situations you wont even need a 3 day bag, A 1 day bag will suffice most situations. Unless there is a legitimate SHTF event in which case there will be a crap ton of people up a creek, even most of us on here.

Prepping is all well and good but most of us work and travel etc. There is no way to plan when SHTF happens. I could see situations where I cant even get home. Its a chance we all take every day.

I suppose I coudl turn a box truck into a daily driver and fill it with preps just incase.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts