·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just recently acquired the Retevis RT1

This is the default channel/frequency range:

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Screenshot

The manufacturer states this unit can be programmed up to the 520.00000MHz range.

The FCC's guidelines for GMRS range is only within the 462 and 467 MHz frequency range

Font Screenshot Document Number

The manufacturer also claims to TX at 10W.

I'm going on a cruise and wanted to program my units to the best channel/frequencies possible that will take advantage of the 10w proclaimed by the manufacturer .

What is recommended.

Please assist.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
assuming you have a license for GMRS the 10w power is legal no channels outside of the GMRS are "legal" without a license except for FRS and MURS however both of those are well below 10w max. Id suspect that the radio isnt legal to use for FRS. On a cruise ship id be cautious of interfering with their staff radios as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
assuming you have a license for GMRS the 10w power is legal no channels outside of the GMRS are "legal" without a license except for FRS and MURS however both of those are well below 10w max. Id suspect that the radio isnt legal to use for FRS. On a cruise ship id be cautious of interfering with their staff radios as well
Hi, Thank you for responding!

Yes, I have just acquired a GMRS license from the FCC. So, with a license I am open to use any range up to the 520MHz as the manufacturer describes ?

More importantly for me is having a solid communication while onboard, so I figured the channels that can TX/RX on 10w is the one I'm most interested in.

So I don't interfere, do you happen to know which frequencies to stay away from while onboard ?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
no you can not use any frequency you want You must stay within GMRS frequencies which are listed at the link below....

·
Registered
If...
48 Posts
Yea you can't use any freq just the specific channels. You can monitor whatever frequency you want just dont transmit. With regards to what the staff are using- keep in mind that the CPT of the ship is in complete control of everything on-board so i would ask. They may allow all GRMS or none. Usually they wont be anywhere close to those freqs but check. Im not sure who it is you want to talk to but 10w wont go far so assuming some friends or family on board with you? It probably wont penetrate steel floor (other decks).

·
Registered
28 Posts
You must stay within the constraints of the federal government. Frankly I am so tired of hearing that. I have a ham license but still wonder who the heck the government is to think it has the right to demand you pay them money to do something as free as transmit on a radio freq. Screw it and everyone who supports it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no you can not use any frequency you want You must stay within GMRS frequencies which are listed at the link below....

Thank you for your response.

The frequencies that I have listed above in this post, are the ones that came pre-programmed with the devices. So do I now have to reprogram all the channel's frequencies to those listed in that link you provided ?

Also, does Channel 1 have to match that particular frequency, or can I program frequencies to any of the 16 channels on my devices ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea you can't use any freq just the specific channels. You can monitor whatever frequency you want just dont transmit. With regards to what the staff are using- keep in mind that the CPT of the ship is in complete control of everything on-board so i would ask. They may allow all GRMS or none. Usually they wont be anywhere close to those freqs but check. Im not sure who it is you want to talk to but 10w wont go far so assuming some friends or family on board with you? It probably wont penetrate steel floor (other decks).
Thank you for the response!

It's just family... and if it's not going to work well, what make/model would you recommend for cruise ships ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You must stay within the constraints of the federal government. Frankly I am so tired of hearing that. I have a ham license but still wonder who the heck the government is to think it has the right to demand you pay them money to do something as free as transmit on a radio freq. Screw it and everyone who supports it.
Hi, Thank you for the response...

Yeah, it's all crazy... I paid the nominal fee, got the license. Now I think I need a better system that will work on cruise ships! Another post mentioned my Retevis RT1's won't cut it! :(

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
im simply advising the OP what the law is in regards to his question. Thats what we try to do here is help folks with their questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the license gives you access to repeaters. But I'm not sure. It's a new rule
Yes, I do remember reading something about that. Well, then if that's true, then I'm allowed to use these frequencies mention in this chart:
GMRS Radio Frequencies and Channels

For example: 15RP - 467.5500 and all the others with "RP" channel suffix.

·
Registered
EDC, GHB, and loads of chocolate!
572 Posts
Hello,

I just recently acquired the Retevis RT1

This is the default channel/frequency range:

View attachment 460006

The manufacturer states this unit can be programmed up to the 520.00000MHz range.

The FCC's guidelines for GMRS range is only within the 462 and 467 MHz frequency range

View attachment 460007

The manufacturer also claims to TX at 10W.

I'm going on a cruise and wanted to program my units to the best channel/frequencies possible that will take advantage of the 10w proclaimed by the manufacturer .

What is recommended.

Please assist.

Thank you :)
Select scan mode and see who's talking.
You might be surprised what band, let alone frequencies they are using.

Caution. Licensed or not, using that radio on the same channels as the ship will end up with you in trouble. They use radio for everything internal, and interfering with their comms is NEVER advisable.

Don't forget that as you travel, different countries have different laws about radio.
To the extent that you may be arrested if caught just carrying a radio.

About that mythical 10 watts.
Personally, before you go, I'd find a radio amateur / repair shop who will plug your set into a power meter. As advertising and reality tend to "differ slightly".

The spec says on 10 watts, the set pulls <=2600mA (2.6 amps) Your battery capacity is 3000mah (3 amps).
So your battery is going to be caned to death in just over an hour of working at 10 watts.

Anyway, best working practice is always to use just enough power to do the job.
That and a lovely long, tuned in whip aerial.
As the bigger the twig, the further you speak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Select scan mode and see who's talking.
You might be surprised what band, let alone frequencies they are using.

Caution. Licensed or not, using that radio on the same channels as the ship will end up with you in trouble. They use radio for everything internal, and interfering with their comms is NEVER advisable.

Don't forget that as you travel, different countries have different laws about radio.
To the extent that you may be arrested if caught just carrying a radio.

About that mythical 10 watts.
Personally, before you go, I'd find a radio amateur / repair shop who will plug your set into a power meter. As advertising and reality tend to "differ slightly".

The spec says on 10 watts, the set pulls <=2600mA (2.6 amps) Your battery capacity is 3000mah (3 amps).
So your battery is going to be caned to death in just over an hour of working at 10 watts.

Anyway, best working practice is always to use just enough power to do the job.
That and a lovely long, tuned in whip aerial.
As the bigger the twig, the further you speak.
Hi,
Thank you for your response.
Noted on all points made above and very good ones I might add. I'm still looking for a suggestion channel/frequency-wise, based upon what I have already as default channel/frequencies or some others. My kit comes with a long "whip" antenna. So I'm still searching for the best channel/Frequency to use that's either available in the stock settings or something other than that, that is legal to use while onboard. Someone mentioned that the Retevis RT1's will not get the job done on a large cruise ship, with all the multiple decks and steel in between. If that's the case, what pair of radios can? What do the crew actually use, being mindful of the Captain and crew's communication range of operation while onboard. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
im simply advising the OP what the law is in regards to his question. Thats what we try to do here is help folks with their questions.
Didn't mean to seem like I was disparaging your comment. I was just venting against government intrusion in our lives. You comment was right on and good advice. Sorry if it seemed otherwise. Take care.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts