Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Steel City Survivor
140 Posts
I don't think you can beat a Glock in terms of simplicity, ease of use, reliability, accuracy and cost. While most pistols of modern desgin share many of these design features I think the Glock does them all better than most. That is why I have a lot of somewhat unique firearms that I find interestinig but I have six Glocks that are my SHTF weapons and what I use to carry and for home defense. They aren't perfect (nothing is) but they are pretty darn good. You can get a used one for about $400 in most areas. :thumb:

·
WINNING...humbly
3,704 Posts
I would like to buy a glock handgun or a self-defense, hand gun. I would like to spend 400-600$. Were should I buy, and what other self-defense weapons that are worth the price. THX:)
Honestly, I have not seen a gun I didn't like yet but you can't get a more reliable weapon then a Glock in 9MM.

Functionally, a Glock is the best in business in my opinion.

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
I agree with the glock lovers, I own many guns, but my Glock 36 is the one that I carry when doing hikes, kayaking, or any other time that I need a reliable sidearm that I don't have to worry about keeping clean and dry.

Another good alternative is a snubbie revolver in .357 or .38.. simple, easy to conceal, and effective. I prefer the .357 just because it gives me the option of shooting either .38's OR .357's depending on what is available.

For normal EDC (every day carry) I usually have a Walther PPS and an airlite .357 on me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd like to add my 2 cents to this thread. First of all I'm very pragmatic about weapons of any sort. I'll always go with reliablity, simplicity and accuracy. Having said that I'll say that I am a unabashed Glock fan. I shoot USPSA in the production division. No other weapon has of yet, other than the Glock, to be used to take the National title. In point of fact Dave Sveigney used a fairly stock Glock 35 to take the Limited nationals championship. USPSA is a crucible of weaponry. If it works all the time it will be used. If it isn't reliable, ergonomically efficient or accurate, it will be passed over. The standing of Glocks in the USPSA, the law enforcement community speaks for itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Besides being a crack dealer gun Glocks are also a yuppie gun for people who drink starbucks and drive saturns. Go with something that feels and fits good in your hand and makes you proud to own and shoot it. Don't just jump on the bandwagon and go out and buy a glock because their a "fad".

·
Gone Galt
22,533 Posts
Besides being a crack dealer gun Glocks are also a yuppie gun for people who drink starbucks and drive saturns. Go with something that feels and fits good in your hand and makes you proud to own and shoot it. Don't just jump on the bandwagon and go out and buy a glock because their a "fad".

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a glock 23, which is a 40cal. I have had it for a few years now and has never failed to go bang when I want it to. What it so good about a glock, is not just it's reliability, but the options it gives you of being able to convert the same gun to a different cal. Example: Like I said, my glock 23 is a 40 cal. I recently got a conversion for 9mm. Took it to the range, put 50 rounds through it and performed just like the 40 cal. The conversion is simple. take out the barrel. drop in the 9mm and get a model 19 mag. Now you have two guns in one. This is just one example. The same gun can be converted to a 357 sig. So now you can have three guns in one. Just something to think about.

·
Obamageddon Survivor???
1,178 Posts
glocks are cheap Ghetto crack dealer guns
Noun

fanboy (plural fanboys)

1. (fandom) Someone (normally male) who is utterly devoted to a single subject or hobby, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.

Apple fanboys have always devoted equal parts of their mind to genuine reasons to praise their chosen corporation, and to blindly ignoring its faults. — Tim Barribeau, The Sydney Morning Herald, December 10 2008.

Honestly, go to a range for 5-10 bucks you can rent many a guns to try yourself. Hold them, see if they fit, see if you like it.

Glock makes a good gun your not getting ripped off by buying one , myself I don't like it any more than my Ruger for half the price. My Ruger just works, but I'm not a fan of the plastic guns in the first place which is why I don't LOVE my Ruger. But it does its job, its serves its purpose, its fun to shoot.

Now a Kimber 1911 or Colt, Springfield will make my tongue drop to the floor the the drooling to commence every time.

·
Take me out to the black
3,030 Posts
im not a glock fan, but i'm not going to talk you out of it because its a good gun, just not my preference.

www.summitgunbroker.com

he has alot of law enforcement trade in glocks with two or three mags night sights starting at $350 dollars.
You absolutely can NOT beat a police trade in glock.

Most are shot maybe twice a year for quals, they'll show some holster wear but that's NOTHING compared to the deal you get with one.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
A new Glock is hard to find under $550 but a good used one can be had for around $450. This may include a police turn in.

I'd stick with a 3rd version if you can. That'll have the rail under the dust cover.

Grab a Shotgun News and hit the whole salers ads. You can buy directly and save some money. You just have to do a FFL transfer to a local dealer.

I'd also get a G22 also. This is the full size .40. Glocks are rather neat simple pistols where you can swap the .40 bbl for a .357 Sig or a 9mm and shoot either of the rounds out of it. Lone Wolf sells the conversion bbls for $100 each. I have this setup and it's great. 3 guns basically for just $200 more.

Oh, one other thing; the Lonewolf bbls have fully supported chambers so having a KB is probably never going to happen.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.