Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a full size .40 cal glock for work & a .45acp Glock 30 outside of work.

I've shot and handled other pistols (Glock, Ruger, Sig, Springfield, etc.), but have settled on the Glock 17 as my SHTF pistol. My reasons: High capacity, ease of operation/maintenance, availability of parts and ammo, and a relatively effective round (w/ modern HP ammo).

I know that there are other pistols out there that are more accurate, others that point/feel better (the Sig feels like a dream in my hands), others that are more classy and pleasing to the eye, and others with a more powerful round. But, for my money, I was hard-pressed to come up with a better all-around combat/SHTF pistol than the Glock 17. It seems to do a lot of things really, really well.

Anyone else come to the same conclusion? Anyone see any problems with this choice?

Happy New Year to all!

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
Glock snob here, If I were to buy another center fire handgun right now it would be a 17. .40 cal is getting too expensive to shoot.

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
i dont like glocks. never did. i got tired of hearing the stupid news people around here (cincinati has big ghettos!) talk about how the glock was a ghetto gun. i know they are good, but at least around here, they give guns a bad name. the 'mothers against guns' chapter here has the glock with a X over it as their flag/ banner. it has such a mixed reputation as the cop guna dn as the local crack dealer gun, i just dont like it.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
I have had Glocks in the past, other than ugly they do work but I just like my XD's beter... Those are my go to, on and off duty

I am glad you found one you like, you would be surprised of the people that have many guns and really can't or won't pick one... they want to shoot / carry them all...

Good on you.... :thumb:

Reactions: Antwan23

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
The 17 is a great choice. Though for myself I chose the 19 for my 9mm SHTF pistol.

And I agree there are other brands they may work better for others.

Get what you like while you still have tha chance and freedom to do so.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I when with the .40 S&W Glock 23 as my go-to SHTF pistol. With a Lone Wolf conversion barrel and a Glock 19 magazine, you can convert a Model 23 to shoot 9mm Luger ammo in seconds -- AND use 33-round Glock 18 extended magazines! When the SHTF, I'll be able to use either caliber as they become available...

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
I when with the .40 S&W Glock 23 as my go-to SHTF pistol. With a Lone Wolf conversion barrel and a Glock 19 magazine, you can convert a Model 23 to shoot 9mm Luger ammo in seconds -- AND use 33-round Glock 18 extended magazines! When the SHTF, I'll be able to use either caliber as they become available...

dude :eek:......you have to be bull****ting us with that picture! :rolleyes: is that stuff really YOURS!?!?!?! :confused::eek::thumb:

·
Registered
109 Posts
when i was a dealer back in the eighties i got one of the first glock 17s to come in the country....damn that thing felt good in my hand....i loved it.....untill someone offered me a significant profit......i dont have a 17 at the moment...do have a 21.....i prefer my sigs and hks now....but from my experience id trust my life to one of them....and id buy another if i could find a bargain....

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I'll not criticize anyones choice for a go-to gun.
It's your butt that's depending on the choice and you have to believe that your choice is the best regardless of what it is.
That belief and confidence is paramount in your choice.

To quote a song-line,
Believe it and it will come true.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This HK P2000 video makes an excellent point about the Glock. If your other hand is in use(holding onto something, holding off someone/something), and your primer fails to fire, your dead with your Glock because you can't cycle the slide. That HK is double action only. That primer will most likely fire on the second trigger pull. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
582 Posts
This HK P2000 video makes an excellent point about the Glock. If your other hand is in use(holding onto something, holding off someone/something), and your primer fails to fire, your dead with your Glock because you can't cycle the slide. That HK is double action only. That primer will most likely fire on the second trigger pull. Just something to keep in mind.

YouTube - HK P2000 Review CHECK IT OUT! Part II
Dead with a 1911 or P35 also I guess (unless you plan on thumb cocking.-gross moter skills). Someone should tell LAPD SWAT. :rolleyes:

Reactions: badkarma

·
Registered
582 Posts
I carry a full size .40 cal glock for work & a .45acp Glock 30 outside of work.

I've shot and handled other pistols (Glock, Ruger, Sig, Springfield, etc.), but have settled on the Glock 17 as my SHTF pistol. My reasons: High capacity, ease of operation/maintenance, availability of parts and ammo, and a relatively effective round (w/ modern HP ammo).

I know that there are other pistols out there that are more accurate, others that point/feel better (the Sig feels like a dream in my hands), others that are more classy and pleasing to the eye, and others with a more powerful round. But, for my money, I was hard-pressed to come up with a better all-around combat/SHTF pistol than the Glock 17. It seems to do a lot of things really, really well.

Anyone else come to the same conclusion? Anyone see any problems with this choice?

Happy New Year to all!
I've bought and sold a lot of guns over the last 20 yrs and the glock 17 is the oldest handgun that I have. I've sold custom Hi Powers and 1911's and bought an "updated" G31 with holographic sight but I'll never get rid of the 17. The original. :thumb:

·
Banned
630 Posts
Ive owned both the Glock 17 and 19, also the Glock 21, never could get used to the trigger and they just didnt fit my hand....Glocks are very reliable, though....
My carry is the Colt 1911 or the Sig 229 in 40 cal....9mm Browning HP as well.
As far as SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, It would be the 1911 or the BHP....because of the ease of replacing parts and because of the huge amounts of parts available....

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts

YouTube - HK P2000 Review CHECK IT OUT! Part II
The Taurus 24/7 OSS will also allow you to pull the trigger again (goes from single action to double action) if there is a FTF. The grip is amazingly comfortable for all hand sizes (I have large hands, and my wife has very small hands and the OSS is by far her favorite full size pistol) and holds 15+1 in the .40 cal version.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts