Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its summer now, but I want to give everyone a heads up for winter. There is such a thing as decreased solar activity with a long absence of sun spots. In spite of the recent flares we appear to be bordering on one of these eras.

Its happened before. How would we prep for a mini ice age or at least the worst winters ever recorded? Some think its happening as we speak.

http://www.iceagenow.com/Could_2011_be_the_Year_Without_Summer.htm

*The northern hemisphere has experienced 3 years in a row of record breaking cold winters and snow fall. It snowed in all 50 States last winter.

* As in 1816, Canada and the rest of North America are experiencing record rainfalls this summer.

* Much of the Canadian harvest has been lost due to flooding. Some of the ski slopes in the western US reopened in July.

*Today, South America is experiencing a brutally cold winter killing farmers along with their livestock.

* It snowed in the Amazon.
For two years in a row it has snowed in Australia during summertime.

*Argentina - Colder Than Antarctica - 3 Aug 10
Peru declares state of emergency - 1 Aug 10
Worst flooding in Pakistan History - 1 Aug 10
July - Rainiest Month in Mexico History - 31 Jul 10
Thousands of animals perish in South America - 20 Jul 10

Sacramento running 10 degrees below average - 6 Aug 10
Coolest July in San Francisco since 1971 - 3 Aug 10
Record cold in San Diego - 29 Jul 10
Where is summer? Record cold at LAX - 10 Jul 10

http://www.iceagenow.com/The_missing_sunspots-Is_this_the_big_chill.htm

Sunspots are dark, cooler patches on the Sun’s surface that come and go in a roughly 11-year cycle, first noticed in 1843. They have gone away before. They were absent in the 17th century – a period called the “Maunder Minimum” after the scientist who spotted it.

Crucially, it has been observed that the periods when the Sun’s activity is high and low are related to warm and cool climatic periods. The weak Sun in the 17th century coincided with the so-called Little Ice Age. The Sun took a dip between 1790 and 1830 and the earth also cooled a little.

It was weak during the cold Iron Age, and active during the warm Bronze Age. Recent research suggests that in the past 12,000 years there have been 27 grand minima and 19 grand maxima.

So chop that wood now, n get your warm gear ready. After last winter, I dont find this stuff so hokey any more :)

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
ice ages are always proceeded by global warming. we can survive the extra heat. its the cold that happens when the polar caps melt shifting the topical currents. so yes co2 causing the earth to heat up will cause a mini ice age. how bad depends on several factors. one being how much green house gases are in the atmosphere which actually will keep the earth from being able to warm up.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The year with out a summer, look it up. It's coming back and at the worst time, our electric bill just went up about 8% and these folks think it's the new rate raise, well it ain't it comes around in sept. just before the cold set's in 17% is on it's way. Good advice ta button up and cut extra wood, have a generator handy.

·
Time to reap has come
3,885 Posts
Thanks Hairy! I couldnt believe my garden had a freeze in june. I live in the desert and we should be having extreme heat(triple digits) and now in august we need a light jacket at night. Usually we are running the AC at night at this time. Im very nervous about this winter! We got a jump start on the wood. We typically use about 4 cords a winter but Im thinking it may need to double just incase. I wanted to mention that as far as the ice caps melting I think it has to do with the inner earth heating up more than the sun causing it. But also I believe there well be extreme dangerous heat also from the sun(scripture). I think we are in for a roller coaster ride with the weather these next couple of years. Something I have also considered a link to much of this crazy weather is the galactic alignment. This also brings revelations to life/makes sense!

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,265 Posts
ice ages are always proceeded by global warming. we can survive the extra heat. its the cold that happens when the polar caps melt shifting the topical currents. so yes co2 causing the earth to heat up will cause a mini ice age. how bad depends on several factors. one being how much green house gases are in the atmosphere which actually will keep the earth from being able to warm up.
That is actually not correct. If you examine the ice core taken from the Volstok glacier you can make out that each interglacial period peaks in temp within the initial 8-10,000 yrs. It is then followed by a 6-8000 year period of unstable swings between hot and cold. Finally dropping into another ice age after 20-24,000 years. The CO2 levels remain high through out this entire interglacial period and for 1000 years after the climate cools to full ice age conditions.

The timing and the duration of these changes strongly suggests that they are driven by the small variations in Earths orbit around the Sun and the strength of the Suns UV output. The timing of the CO2 changes shows that they are the result of the temp change, not the cause.

·
The last of the Ravens
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Will_Survive
That is actually not correct. If you examine the ice core taken from the Volstok glacier you can make out that each interglacial period peaks in temp within the initial 8-10,000 yrs. It is then followed by a 6-8000 year period of unstable swings between hot and cold. Finally dropping into another ice age after 20-24,000 years. The CO2 levels remain high through out this entire interglacial period and for 1000 years after the climate cools to full ice age conditions.

The timing and the duration of these changes strongly suggests that they are driven by the small variations in Earths orbit around the Sun and the strength of the Suns UV output. The timing of the CO2 changes shows that they are the result of the temp change, not the cause.
both o these are valid theories with valid evidence backing them up. i guess it comes down to, which one are u willing to believe.

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
I usually try to back up my position with links and information from sites that are not the normal tin foil hate type. 'The' two links provided are from the same site entitled 'iceagenow'. Many folks summarily dismiss such a link simply based on the name. I happen to agree with most of the info as found there, but they have killed themselves with their name.

With that said, we get into the 're-reporting' of something already reported.
Getting it from the source directly tends to lend more credence to the information. A friend of a friend of my brothers in-laws, usually ends up being dismissed as hearsay by itself.

I view the subject matter to be to important and plausible to be relying on either tetiary information, or hearsay. It is a real and present danger that is being dismissed by most, and therein is why I jumped in with a source from NASA. The average sheeple will pay attention to that.

Probably why I included all those pesky links :)

·
1,583 Posts
It's funny because we think we know everything about our world, but we are just starting to learn about Earth's natural cycles.
I have been saying this since they started talking about global warming... How do people who have only been forecasting climate in the last 200 years or so...know about 4.6 billion years of change?

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
How about.... it makes no significant difference to our lives no matter which it might be.
and this is why i wonder why we care about the defects? global warming wont matter to us in our life times so we dont care. yet deficits also wont really matter in our lifetime so why does that matter so much? and in reality it will matter. with increased temps it can kill off much needed crops. with decreased tempts again killing off much needed crops. on top of both of this increased costs of energy. for some it wont matter. for me it matters allot. im a true conservative who goes back to the core of conservative ideology which is to conserve both in nature and in life. i was an early adopter of cf light bulbs because it allowed me to reduce my power bill. same with electronic thermostats. in my location i cannot put up a windmill or id have done it. and im saving up for solar. if we as a population adopted that hippy lifestyle many detest we would be a much better nation and much better earth.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I have been saying this since they started talking about global warming... How do people who have only been forecasting climate in the last 200 years or so...know about 4.6 billion years of change?
through ice core samples. through earth core samples. this is why when they found the totally sealed tomb in egypt they took car to take an air sample. same as they do with any type of sealed jug from past era's. those air samples ice samples and earth samples tell allot of what has happened in the past.

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
Not sure if I believe this or not, we live in Upstate NY and our winter's have been the mildest I can remember. As for the extra rainy season wish I knew where that was because it wasn't here in fact if it don't rain soon we will be skipping mowing a few of our customer's lawns this week.

·
The "Truth" Is A Lie!
530 Posts
As the sun goes through it's natural cycle we will get much hotter in the next decade, so will mars, venus, and all the other planets. In a few hundred years we will be in the low end of the cycle and a mini ice age will begin.

It's all part of a much longer cycle that will eventually lead us into another major ice age before it turns back around and gets warm again...rinse, repeat, expand to red giant, etc.

the minute amounts of Co2 we put in the air is excedingly low compared to the rain forest or the oceans. Perhaps we should cut down the rest of the rain forest or drain the oceans to stop global warming as well.

The sun will continue to control our weather, and our goverment will continue to make crap up so they can impose carbon taxes and push us to a one world currency.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
As the sun goes through it's natural cycle we will get much hotter in the next decade, so will mars and all the other planets. In a few hundred years we will be in the low end of the cycle and a mini ice age will begin.

It's all part of a much longer cycle that will eventually lead us into another major ice age before it turns back around and gets warm again...rinse, repeat, expand to red giant, etc.

the minute amounts of Co2 we put in the air is excedingly low compared to the rain forest. Perhaps we should cut down the rest of the rain forest to stop global warming.

The sun will continue to control our weather, and our goverment will continue to make crap up so they can impose carbon taxes and push us to a one world currency.

Aah? Plants absorb CO2 and give off O2....
You get CO2 when you burn rain forest...

·
The "Truth" Is A Lie!
530 Posts
Aah? Plants absorb CO2 and give off O2....
You get CO2 when you burn rain forest...
Trees absorb co2, yes, and they give off o2, yes, but the O2 given off is balanced by the co2 given off by the decaying matter in a forest. Plankton gives off most of the o2 we breath. In a mature forest, as rainforests are, the growth and decay are in balance and the net production of oxygen is zero. As we have cut them down we have disturbed this balance and it is producing co2 at a higher rate, this is where it comes from.

Brazil is the top producer of co2 among all of the countries. America has much more industry than they do, it's the trees.

And honestly, it really doesn't matter. I think you missed the point. Co2 does NOT cause global warming. Anyone with a 7th grade education can tell that the Co2 molecule is much too heavy to make it into our upper atmosphere. In fact oxygen is much lighter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts