Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my co-worker made fun of me after I asked her again if she was storing extra food in case we have a famine next year. She asked me if I reacted this way as we approached Y2K and I told her no. Anyway, that's it for me. I have enough to worry about without having to worry about someone who makes fun of me when I am only trying to help. :taped:

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I ran into the same crap at work. Some people just can't see things as we do. If something does go down, all i can do is feel for them, as I will only have enough for me and mine.

Reactions: Stwood

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
Amen to the timing issue, Royal Dragon. I have exactly the same worry. I need for things to hold together for another year so I can make my move.

I do talk with select coworkers about current events and the need to prepare. However, after I move that stops completely. Not a peep out of me about anything related to survival or emergency preparedness. And like I said, I talk now only with select coworkers who have expressed concerns for the coming crisis. Those few can probably figure out that I'm a survivalist. And I would help those few if tshtf anyway as they're not prone to talking about me with others behind my back and they're taking the steps they can to get prepared.

As for the rest of my coworkers---I just don't feel comfortable talking with them about survival or preparedness. They're on their own like most of America if tshtf.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Yesterday, my co-worker made fun of me after I asked her again if she was storing extra food in case we have a famine next year. She asked me if I reacted this way as we approached Y2K and I told her no. Anyway, that's it for me. I have enough to worry about without having to worry about someone who makes fun of me when I am only trying to help. :taped:
My dad and my best friend's dad said the same thing when we came home with 5 gallon buckets, bags of rice, and other food. Said we were stupid for wasting money and the economy isn't going to crash. I think they are going to be glad I spent the money on an AK-47.

I don't tell people at school about my preps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Every situation is different but as a general rule I try to slowly ease folks into prepping. I stay away from "end of the world" scenarios or the collapse of civilization. I introduce them by showing literature from the Red Cross, FEMA and other recognized organizations. I explain to them how during Andrew it took the government nearly a week before they started food and water distribution. If they have kids I ask them how much food or formula they have for them, this tends to get their attention. The point is to ease them into being prepared and in some cases they never will in others you'll be surprised.

The way I look at it is, the more folks that are prepared the fewer will be desperate for food and water.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I gave up on my coworkers long ago. So far, everything I have warned them about in the past few years has come to pass......they still refuse to pull their heads out of their asses. Now, I couldn't be bothered even discussing politics, survival, ect with them anymore as they desire to be victims and they will be. I made it very clear that they had better forget they ever knew me when TSHTF.

Every minute you waste trying to convince those who refuse to listen or even take a rational look at world situations or possibilities and do something to potentially help themselves, is a minute you deprive yourself for prepping for your own survival. I cannot and will not tolerate "WILLFULLY IGNORANT PEOPLE" in my life any longer.

·
Who is John Galt?
585 Posts
I am the same...only discuss with a very select few co-workers and friends......our family did stock up on some supplies for Y2k and though we didn't 'need' them, we were able to bless some of our family with extra things like rice and flour to my wife's grandmother who was struggling financially......when I first started talking to my wife about this, I was cautious and we have been approaching it bit by bit, doing what we can when we can without running around like our heads are cut off. One day at a time.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
some people were just born to be victims. even though it may seem like a lot of people at least have a feeling like there is something severly wrong, they wont act until its too late. the high black friday numbers show that. i havent been able to convince anybody to prep, and im talking close friends and family. they even agree on whats comming but wont do anything at all to prep. people think its a big joke.......... oh well i dont even have enough stuff for me and mine let alone anyone else so its gonna be their tuff luck.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
One of my favorite quotes, "there are none so blind as those that will
not see". :(
Fortunately,though, we seem to have made a little headway just recently with some freinds and family members.

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
I use to bring up stuff going on in the economy, talk about banks failing, food prices rising, and I'd make suggestions to stock up on food whenever there was a good sale.

And what did I hear coming into work "here comes miss sunshine".
Well (f 'em) I don't bring it up anymore.

Had one the other night tell me he was worried about getting laid off,
told him he might think about growing a garden to help with the food budget.
I got that "are you out of your mind" look from him, I give up.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Trying to educate others is "honorable" and might even e looked upon as a noble gesture but in the end is a rather stupid thing to do IMO.

What would happen if all the sheeple woke up tomorrow and decided to stockpile food?

Ill tell you what would happen. There would be a run on food stocks, canning equipment, etc and YOU would end up paying twice what you do now for rice and beans.

This same thing happened with ammunition just recently and rice just a few months ago.

How much prepping could you do if everything you buy costs twice what it does now?

Maybe thats a selfish way to look at it but I am here because I love my kids and my family not because I want to feed the world or "feel good" about helping my fellow man blah blah blah.

Another point is these people are going to remember those conversations with you and they will come looking for you when SHTF happens. Did you ever stop to consider how you are going to handle 25 people showing up and demanding food from you? We have already had posts about people showing up at their friends houses and demanding to be sold a rifle because they felt entitled to one.

Ive tried to point these things out on this board for the better part of a year now, mostly to deaf ears. It seems that even most of us on this board have no real idea what other people are going to be willing to do when it finally happens.

Malaz, I should just shut up and congratulate you for figuring out that other people don't want to think about SHTF but the truth is you and others wont listen. Next week there will be another thread about trying to help someone else and we will discuss it ad nauseum for a few days and then forget about it until someone else asks the same question again and again and again and again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I keep to myself. To many people dont belive that we could have another collapse. Just prepare yourself and your family. When the time comes you will need to move fast and not have a bunch of people kicking down your door because they know you are the one with food. :D:

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Talking about this subject to co-workers or neighbors is a very bad idea.

At this moment in time we are very close to economic collapse.
Talking to anyone outside your circle of trust is bad OPSEC (Operational Security).

When SHTF (and it will most likely come in the next few months), you will be a risk of....

Being turned in as a food horder.
Being a person known in possession of firearms.
Being a right-wing reactionary.

There are lot of bad things that can and will happen. Worst of all is having one or more of these co-workers and neighbors showing up at your front door begging for food and protection...when you can offer none. And when none is given--they will turn upon you.

Nope don't yack!
Just finalize preps.
Keep your mouth shut for now.
Keep it all hidden away.

If your co-worker's and neighbors didn't listen in the past--let them go down burning and screaming. It's none of your business anymore.

T

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Malaz,

If there is a famine next year, may I suggest that you laugh at your co-worker when she asks you to share your lunch with her.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I've found in my years on earth that you just can't help people. Very rarely if ever does good come out of it. If you help people, they probably won't listen, but instead be turned on by the idea of you doing it for them. I have another friend who feels the way I do about preparing and we discuss plans/ideas/etc together, but we keep it between ourselves.

Remember, statistically speaking, half of the world is dumber than the average person!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Never,ever try to tell people to prep. Give them advice only if they ask first.
Use what time is left to square your own stuff away.The people who won't prep are exactly the ones the that need to be culled the most.Don't waste time pushing ropes.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Of the general population only a small percent (less than 3 percent) will admit to having Survival/Preparedness feelings. Of the people on this site less than 10 percent will actually stick with a program of storing food and water. Most will become distracted or they will get frustrated. many people will find a lot of peer pressure when they bring up survival planning. Many will get the eye rolling looks and they are crazy stares.

the bulk of the population will never get ready for anything. They are like the mob at Walmart. "If my food runs out I will just go down to the local Walmart and get somemore."

I only bring up preparedness if the other person brings it up. I will help those willing to help themselves. I don't fish for other people. I will teach them to fish though. They have to commit to do something. Part of commitment is to put a plan to paper. Most people just like to talk about survival.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
I still try to get my family and my husbands family to prep, they try but say it's too hard. My children tell me when we go shopping that this and that would be good to stock up in for the food storage, boy the looks they get from others passing by at the time they say that. I had one lady that said we were crazy storing food, there was alwasy food at the gocery store -DUHHH (she actually said DUHH)-boy will she be sh_t out of luck when the SHTF.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Walmart lost electrical power over the weekend,here,due to snowfall.People still stopped,and tried to go in,even though the store was blacked out. They just couldn't believe Walmart wasn't open.Crazy.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts