Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have a bag of deer corn for the feeder. While I was filling up the rabbit feeders, I thought why not add some corn to their feed.

Wild rabbits eat the corn out of the feeders, so why not add some corn to my rabbits food bowl?

I'll keep yall updated on how things go.

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
We used to get customers that would come in and ask for "deer corn". I'd say "no, but we got cow corn. Then they would usually ask if it worked on deer. Corn is corn is corn, mostly #2 yellow dent.

I wonder if they will have the same problem we have? Comes out the same way it went in. What if you milled it?

·
Chicken Collector
504 Posts
I've never bought deer corn, but has it been milled or cracked?
If it's the whole kernels, rabbits may not be able to chew through the hull, and their intestinal bacteria will not be able to break down such a tough material.
Wild rabbits may eat them, but that doesn't mean it's healthy and they may be eating them just for convenience, or safety since their burrow may be nearby and they don't want to forage far.

·
Who is #1?
2,043 Posts
My wife and I have a bag of deer corn for the feeder. While I was filling up the rabbit feeders, I thought why not add some corn to their feed.

Wild rabbits eat the corn out of the feeders, so why not add some corn to my rabbits food bowl?

I'll keep yall updated on how things go.
No.
My guess is they will ignore it.
They are your own domesticated Rabbits.
Why would they eat that junk when you will give them better? :D:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Heck, I've been feeding my buns ears of dent corn for years, they LOVE it!

It's been a busy, busy week, I'm almost out of hay, totally out of pellets and can't get to the feed store until tomorrow night, so they've been feasting on apples, corn, sasafrass and berry whips for 3 days straight.

Happy, happy buns!!!!

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
It's interesting how there is exceptions to every rule. For example, my Mother has always fed her dogs raw garlic. They live long lives, and have always been worm free, including heartworms. Ask any vet and they will tell you NOOOO!!! It will kill them. Well, she's always done it. I have a family mutt and have also done it for 5 years now. He's still going strong.

I find it interesting that the worlds number one grain is the most nutritionally worthless grain there is. From it's natural state, all the way up to the high fructose syrup.

·
future Dryad
708 Posts
The problem with feeding corn is rabbits cannot digest the tough outer shell, this goes for fresh whole kernel corn, hard whole kernel corn and cracked corn. feeding such corn has the relatively high likelihood that the rabbit will get a blockage in it's digestive system (which often leads to death.)
If you can grind it into a meal or flour, then should not have a problem with blockage.
Corn will provide some nutrients, but is not a complete diet for rabbits and they really need roughage (hay) to maintain a healthy digestive tract. But it will work for short term diet.
On a personal note, I would feed corn meal or flour soaked in water rather than dry. In a mush form they will be better able to digest the nutrients and further reduce the chances of gut impaction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts