Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Ummm......... they give you a $100 voucher for a pistol, and $200 voucher for a rifle?
Even I know that in most cases you would be losing money, so what kind of incentive is that?

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
ok...if they want our guns they can have the bullets first... then we will find out just how much they want them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ummm......... they give you a $100 voucher for a pistol, and $200 voucher for a rifle?
Even I know that in most cases you would be losing money, so what kind of incentive is that?
It's a "no questions asked" deal. I remember a few years back that a local gov was doing something similar under the guise of "child safety".

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Ohio: Hungry? Turn In Your Guns, Get Food
December 3rd, 2008

Via: Beacon Journal:

Sponsors of the Goods for Guns program are hoping that the promise of a full belly will lure people to turn in their guns in exchange for $100 gift cards for Acme Fresh Markets.

The dates for the program, Nov. 21 and 22, were strategically selected this year to coincide with Thanksgiving because it’s a time when thoughts traditionally turn to food, authorities said.

Last year, the event sponsored by the Summit County Crimestoppers, the Sheriff’s Office, the Akron Police Department and several private corporations and nonprofit agencies removed 950 guns from the streets. This year, Crimestoppers hopes to purchase enough gift cards to increase that number and buy 1,200 guns.

In 2007, the program ran out of gift cards before the public ran out of guns.

http://cryptogon.com/?p=5426

·
Angry Libertarian
168 Posts
St. Louis is proposing something similar or are actually going through with it. $50 for pistols and $100 for rifles. Now I'm fine with it if it's getting guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them. Although if it's a person who shouldn't have it or obtained it illegally in the first place they should be going about it in a different way. To me this just seems to encourage more crime and other bad things.

My whole problem with most of these programs is that they usually just go and destroy the guns after they get them. Brings a tear to my eye. If the morons would just turn around and sell them to people who can legally own them then they might actually make some money off of this crappy idea too.

·
"Et si omnes ego non"
246 Posts
Honestly, most of the people turning in the firearms are decent people trying to defend themselves from gangbangers. The gangbangers are happy because that means less law abiding citizens with guns and they could rob and kill anyone they please without getting shot back.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If people are stupid enough to actually do this they probably don't use them or know how to use them anyway.

Let them disarm themselves if they wish, but I shall unapologetically ignore the whining when they need the firearm later on.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
If people are stupid enough to actually do this they probably don't use them or know how to use them anyway.

Let them disarm themselves if they wish, but I shall unapologetically ignore the whining when they need the firearm later on.
You're probably right.

Either that, or the criminals are stealing guns to turn in foe food vouchers, which they exchange for crack....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts