Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an excecise in will power.

Quit watching TV.
The wife and I got rid of cable 2 years ago, we have gotten more done in these 2 years than in the previous 10. We both work 8 to 5 jobs; the time between getting home and going to sleep can be very productive or it can be spent on the couch. Of course this is not to say that you shouldn't enjoy some electronic entertainment but if you can keep it from becomming a 2 - 4 or 5 hour per day habit you will have a better life.

Survival sinerios here have been suggested, tried, discussed, etc... I've got one.
Unplug your TV until the end of the year and see if you can survive.
News can be accessed via radio and the Internet so TV isn't an absolute necessity.

I watch TV 3 hours per week so, it'll be easy for me to give that up.

How about everyone else?
Try this and let's report back here on how we did and what we did with the time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I watch little TV (I tend to watch science fiction and gardening shows on the weekends but that's it), but I admit I spend way too much time on the internet. That's the big time waster for me.

When I was a kid people used to call it 'the idiot box'. Funny how nobody uses that term anymore.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I gave it up when Ike moved through KY last fall and knocked out the power for a week. I haven't got back in the habit of watching t.v. again yet. You're right, I have found much better things to do with my time. I miss Grey's anatomy when I think about it.. but then again.. I seldom remember that's it's on. :thumb:

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
I don't have a TV, I have a projector screen hooked up to the computer. Only time I watch TV is at work, and I work at a gym so its always sports, not enough hockey to please me, its always football(yay) and basketball(boo)

·
Banned
647 Posts
Tv is just fine. It's up to you to be productive or not, and if a thing like a tv *makes* you stay inactive for hours at a time, you're probably not really that much of the survival/prepper mindset.

It's like having a credit card, or whatever. It can't hurtcha unless you let it... I do other things beside watch tv all the time, but I still keep informed w/ the news. I carry a cc, but use it once every 4-5 months or so for a tank of fuel. Just sayin's all.

Whatever, it's not that big of a deal, just stay away. Don't need to unplug it or remove it. That's the real will power. It's like smoking... just stop smoking. Just stop needless spending, just stop vegetating every night. And so on. Not that big of a deal.

Hanging up the remote shouldn't really be any kind of a willpower test at all. It's pretty light. Sad if it is.

I worked 12 hour shifts (w/an extra 2 hour drive time) for many years and still had chores to accomplish before and after work. On weekends I watched it sometimes, sometimes not. Now, I'm home all the time, it's on right now (noon news), and then I'll turn it back off. I like quiet:). I guess I don't watch enough of it to begin with, to think of it as an issue of willpower.

Willpower to me is survivng a week in the woods alone with a broken leg or similar, or coming through trauma surgery, or carrying on after you've lost your family to tragedy.

SkullyWV this is not a reflection on you:)personally. It's more of a general observation.:).

·
Registered
167 Posts
no need to unplug it, i have a few shows that i watch. i think its sad if people sit at the tube all day/night long insteada being responsible adults. wheres the responsability and will power? i guess if you think about it, its a mind over matter thing.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Is forum junkie any better? its according to beavis and butthead a tv with a typewriter stuck on it....

Doh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts