Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone through a lot of the forum and read up on the GI sleep system. It gets a tone of mixed reviews.

I am looking for something that can be adaptable to almost any situation, and while being considerably heavy, was looking into getting one of these. I have read many posts about the results with the different combinations, and am pleased with what I read, but what I haven't seen answered is what size does the heavy load compress to? Reason I ask is, I am in the process of getting a CFP-90 and have read that the bottom section was designed to hold the sleep system. I didn't know if it was a super tight fit, or if there was room for other items in the bottom section as well.

Also, non-military mountain bags such as those by Northface, etc have a cinch down hood, some sort of pocket inside, etc... I wasn't aware if the GI system also had some of these features.

Last, are camping pillows necessary? I have seen quite a few that collapse down pretty good, but I didn't know if these bags left you with your head in the dirt or provided anything to prop it up on.

Thank you.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Here's a pic of a "shoot and scoot" with some bro's this winter, 4 of the five regularly use the ECWS sleeping gear (or parts) of it. The fellow that doesn't uses a high dollar ($800) mountaineering set up that weighs 2lbs less, he tore a hole in the bivy when he snagged his boot on it crawling into the shelter.

Frozen tears had to be removed from his sad little face!:D:

There's a lodge pole pine in the middle of the "tent" because it's actually the fly from my bro's Cabela's "Extreme Conditions" tent that collapsed under snow load and broke all the poles :D:

Take care,
Den

Attachments

·
wage slave
251 Posts
I think your best bet on that ECWS system is to try one out. If you can find someone to let you borrow theirs that would be good, otherwise you're stuck dropping $200 on it for a 50/50 chance of whether or not you'll like it.

A pillow is optional. I usually just wad up a sweatshirt or something on top of my boots and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a pic of a "shoot and scoot" with some bro's this winter, 4 of the five regularly use the ECWS sleeping gear (or parts) of it. The fellow that doesn't uses a high dollar ($800) mountaineering set up that weighs 2lbs less, he tore a hole in the bivy when he snagged his boot on it crawling into the shelter.

Frozen tears had to be removed from his sad little face!:D:

There's a lodge pole pine in the middle of the "tent" because it's actually the fly from my bro's Cabela's "Extreme Conditions" tent that collapsed under snow load and broke all the poles :D:

Take care,
Den
When you guys compress them down for carry, how big is the sack?

Also, what type of insulation is inside of them? I know there is a waterproof bivvy but if the other layers were to get wet do they dry quickly?

·
Registered
924 Posts
They come with a compression stuff sack that's standard size but I never use it. I just leave the sleeping bag in the bivy and stuff them both into the sleeping bag compartment of my CF-90, they fit fine. I don't usually carry the whole system, typically just the black bag and bivy and sleep in my base and mid layers if it's cold (mid sub-zero's).

If it's an extended trip I leave the GI pad (cut to fit in the bivy) in the bivy with the bag and roll the whole deal up, strap it, and carry it under the pack top flap and use the sleeping bag compartment for my extra cloths, freeing up space in the pack for more chow.

I don't know for sure what the fill is, I'm thinking Holifoil II or some such, it's dated technology for sure. The bags dry fast though when they get wet, but I can honestly say with the bivy they have never gotten wet enough my body heat didn't dry it out.

A guy can spend more money for "better" gear but doing so would mean less time in the back country and more time working for me. Hell with that! life's too short! :cool:

A bro bought a new ECWS all four parts brand new on Ebay a couple weeks before the last trip for $100. I see em all the time for about $150 delivered, there's no better deal for such a rugged, versatile set-up. I've used mine for hundreds of trips and it's still in excellent shape.

Ohhhh!!!!.......but it's 1.8763444 lbs heavier than brand "X"! I solve that by taking a healthy dump before I ruck up in the morning!

Take care,
Den

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha!

Thank you for the response!

I guess I need to have someone I know search Ebay for me, I myself do not have an account. The best price I have seen for new is $250 from a surplus store.

Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts