Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
semper paratus
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do-it-yourself camouflaging isnt a rare thing. many hunters and soldiers do it regularly. so lets talk about different ways to "ghetto-cam" our guns, equipment, vehicles and shelters. i have used numerous methods, most of which have worked, a few have not. the succesful methods include:
-spray paint
-dying fabric
-dyed burlap
-camouflage bandanas
-scraps of camouflage fabric
-earth toned tarps
-earth toned shower curtains (no joke)
-camouflage netting
-local vegetation
-local dirt and mud
-gun wraps
-earth toned or camo duct tape

please share your ideas or projects youve actually camouflaged.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
I'm in a sort of an exurban area. There's a lot of greenspace and wooded areas, but there's plenty of commercial and other developed areas as well.

Our camouflage needs to serve either purpose, even if it's a bit of a compromise. So we stick with darker earth tones, or even darker blues.

At night, in low light, human vision becomes black and white. If you want to disappear, yet not look like you're trying hide, dark reds, blues, and purples will all appear black until you step into the light. Then you don't look like a ninja.

Camouflage is about not being seen and blending into your surroundings. So your surroundings will dictate what you need to do to blend in.

For vehicles, the best combination of being ignored while still moving quickly and silently is a bicycle. I can get most anyplace around here in about twice the time it takes to drive. The times become similar, or even identical during rush hour. No need to camouflage the bike, other than removing reflectors (I have very powerful lights for being seen, but they can be turned off when I don't wish to be seen) and making sure that it doesn't look like anything special.

Motorized vehicles, I don't worry too much about. But I have disabled daytime running lights and always on headlights from all my vehicles that have them. Beyond that, their best camouflage is not standing out among other vehicles, or being in the garage.

Guns, by nature, are camouflaged by keeping them out of sight. I conceal carry unless I'm out in bush. If I carry them in or out of the house, I carry them in nondescript bags that do not look like gun cases. All my guns are black, no shiny nickel, chrome, or stainless, and I have blackened out any shiny logos or whatnot on optics and accessories.

I have a couple of camouflage tarps that could be used in my back yard, as we have quite an overgrown back yard that backs up to woods. I also have a camo poncho and a homemade ghillie suit that I could also use in the backyard.

Camouflaging the house is pretty difficult, but in a disaster type scenario, we will be staying the basement area, which doesn't face any populated areas, and be keeping strict light discipline. I am prepared to board up windows and doors, and even damage some easily repaired parts of the house to make it look less attractive, but only in really drastic situations. Even the solar panels are on the back side of the house, and can't be seen from the ground.

But if you're talking about traditional camouflage clothing and stuff, we really don't have much need for it. Around here it would stand out way too much unless you were in the woods.

Az

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
We used to play paintball in an abandoned water treatment plant.

It was also a favored destination of the local stoners who would go
there to party and graffitii the place.

So a friend of mine took a dark grey pair of sweats and spray painted
them with assorted graffitii art and profanities.

We mocked him mercilessly -- until we got there and found he blended
in to the sprayed up concrete walls almost seemlessly. :D:

Total ninja. He hunted us to extinction that day. :eek:

·
semper paratus
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in a sort of an exurban area. There's a lot of greenspace and wooded areas, but there's plenty of commercial and other developed areas as well.

Our camouflage needs to serve either purpose, even if it's a bit of a compromise. So we stick with darker earth tones, or even darker blues.

At night, in low light, human vision becomes black and white. If you want to disappear, yet not look like you're trying hide, dark reds, blues, and purples will all appear black until you step into the light. Then you don't look like a ninja.

Camouflage is about not being seen and blending into your surroundings. So your surroundings will dictate what you need to do to blend in.

For vehicles, the best combination of being ignored while still moving quickly and silently is a bicycle. I can get most anyplace around here in about twice the time it takes to drive. The times become similar, or even identical during rush hour. No need to camouflage the bike, other than removing reflectors (I have very powerful lights for being seen, but they can be turned off when I don't wish to be seen) and making sure that it doesn't look like anything special.

Motorized vehicles, I don't worry too much about. But I have disabled daytime running lights and always on headlights from all my vehicles that have them. Beyond that, their best camouflage is not standing out among other vehicles, or being in the garage.

Guns, by nature, are camouflaged by keeping them out of sight. I conceal carry unless I'm out in bush. If I carry them in or out of the house, I carry them in nondescript bags that do not look like gun cases. All my guns are black, no shiny nickel, chrome, or stainless, and I have blackened out any shiny logos or whatnot on optics and accessories.

I have a couple of camouflage tarps that could be used in my back yard, as we have quite an overgrown back yard that backs up to woods. I also have a camo poncho and a homemade ghillie suit that I could also use in the backyard.

Camouflaging the house is pretty difficult, but in a disaster type scenario, we will be staying the basement area, which doesn't face any populated areas, and be keeping strict light discipline. I am prepared to board up windows and doors, and even damage some easily repaired parts of the house to make it look less attractive, but only in really drastic situations. Even the solar panels are on the back side of the house, and can't be seen from the ground.

But if you're talking about traditional camouflage clothing and stuff, we really don't have much need for it. Around here it would stand out way too much unless you were in the woods.

Az
when i first joined this site i started a thread about using bicycles in a social collapse scenario, i had a few people try to shoot the idea down but they were quickly overwhelmed by others who also plan on using bicycles.
hunkering down in the basement with boarded windows and strict light discipline is my plan as well. unfortunately in my area i dont think anything but death threats will keep intruders out.
with traditional camouflage if you wear it out in the open youre wearing it for no reason. properly employing your camouflage is its entire purpose, it wont make you disappear, but if you know how to move and conceal yourself it can save your life. i have very long rants on other threads that share my opions on people thinking camouflage will make you stand out or make you a target, i think i'll spare you those.

·
semper paratus
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We used to play paintball in an abandoned water treatment plant.

It was also a favored destination of the local stoners who would go
there to party and graffitii the place.

So a friend of mine took a dark grey pair of sweats and spray painted
them with assorted graffitii art and profanities.

We mocked him mercilessly -- until we got there and found he blended
in to the sprayed up concrete walls almost seemlessly. :D:

Total ninja. He hunted us to extinction that day. :eek:
i love specific camouflage for unusual settings.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
i have very long rants on other threads that share my opions on people thinking camouflage will make you stand out or make you a target, i think i'll spare you those.
I'm just pointing out that camouflage means blending in, not necessarily just into forest land.

For example, if I go out on recon at night, I will wear dark clothing that is normal in appearance. If I need, I can step out of the shadows and I won't look out of place. If I have to pass a National Guard roadblock, I won't look suspicious. If I'm dressed in an all black bodysuit with a black balaclava, booties and gloves, I will look suspicious. I will blend in better if I'm actively being sought out, but once I'm found, it will be hard to convince anyone I'm not up to no good. Ninjas are usually evil; everyone knows that.

I'm just pointing this out for the few that may not think about this. I'm not saying don't dress in a black ninja suit, I'm just saying think about the mission and what you're trying to accomplish.

In my case, I'd rather retain some flexibility in moving from one landscape to another. Around here there is no one answer fits all, and rather than having and carrying 4 sets of clothing around to be ready for everything, I prefer to have one set that works reasonably well in all of them.

It's a trade off, a compromise. But I prefer to be more flexible than perfectly prepared for specific scenarios. It's easier to prep for, and less taxing on the sanity.

Az

·
semper paratus
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just pointing out that camouflage means blending in, not necessarily just into forest land.

For example, if I go out on recon at night, I will wear dark clothing that is normal in appearance. If I need, I can step out of the shadows and I won't look out of place. If I have to pass a National Guard roadblock, I won't look suspicious. If I'm dressed in an all black bodysuit with a black balaclava, booties and gloves, I will look suspicious. I will blend in better if I'm actively being sought out, but once I'm found, it will be hard to convince anyone I'm not up to no good. Ninjas are usually evil; everyone knows that.

I'm just pointing this out for the few that may not think about this. I'm not saying don't dress in a black ninja suit, I'm just saying think about the mission and what you're trying to accomplish.

In my case, I'd rather retain some flexibility in moving from one landscape to another. Around here there is no one answer fits all, and rather than having and carrying 4 sets of clothing around to be ready for everything, I prefer to have one set that works reasonably well in all of them.

It's a trade off, a compromise. But I prefer to be more flexible than perfectly prepared for specific scenarios. It's easier to prep for, and less taxing on the sanity.

Az
even resticting all out of house/shelter movement to night and only wearing the black would be a good idea. i hadnt thought about national guard roadblocks. my planning revolves around social collapse in the long term so thinking of things like there even still being a military hadnt occured to me. good ideas all around, thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts