Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...This weekend, Fri pm-Sat nite, I am off to my favorite fishing spot, Cherokee NC, to catch monster trout and enjoy the cooler mountain weather, i hope.. :D:

I am going to to a live field test of my gear...

I travel with my loaded trunk box, clothes, misc items and my GHB always in my car...

The scenerio is this:

Out doing my normal thing, when an "event," forces me to ramain in place for the day/night, using only the items I normally carry day to day in my car and trunk...

Now, since i am fly fishing, i carry extra clothes/misc gear and such, but don't go packing camping gear, just fly gear...

I am doing this alone, and in order to appease the wifey, have decided to stay in a local, campground, that offers primitive campsites, vs just finding a spot off the road and making camp...She worries anyway, and want to give her some peace of mnd during this little FTX of mine...

I will use the items to create shelter, fire, gather and purify water, enjoy my rations, etc..

WNC weather is unpredictable this time of year, heavy rainstorms/flash floods common this time of year...

I won't be roughing it by any means, do not wish to imply that, just using the gear i actually carry day to day..

Here are some pics of my GHB, and i will post pics of the Trunk Box this week and pics of my trout and campsite when i return Sunday...

I don't anticipate any issues and look forward to giving an AAR.....

PSYOP

ps...if anyone wants to join me on the water, i will be fishing the 2 mile trophy trout section on the Res, and we can meet up at Rivers Edge Outfitters with a pre-arranged secret squirrel code...

Attachments

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Good luck, I'll be interested to see how things go for you. Once the weather warms up a bit (dead of Winter now) here, I intend to get out with my gear for a night or two.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ok...This weekend, Fri pm-Sat nite, I am off to my favorite fishing spot, Cherokee NC, to catch monster trout and enjoy the cooler mountain weather, i hope.. :D:

I am going to to a live field test of my gear...

I travel with my loaded trunk box, clothes, misc items and my GHB always in my car...

The scenerio is this:

Out doing my normal thing, when an "event," forces me to ramain in place for the day/night, using only the items I normally carry day to day in my car and trunk...

Now, since i am fly fishing, i carry extra clothes/misc gear and such, but don't go packing camping gear, just fly gear...

I am doing this alone, and in order to appease the wifey, have decided to stay in a local, campground, that offers primitive campsites, vs just finding a spot off the road and making camp...She worries anyway, and want to give her some peace of mnd during this little FTX of mine...

I will use the items to create shelter, fire, gather and purify water, enjoy my rations, etc..

WNC weather is unpredictable this time of year, heavy rainstorms/flash floods common this time of year...

I won't be roughing it by any means, do not wish to imply that, just using the gear i actually carry day to day..

Here are some pics of my GHB, and i will post pics of the Trunk Box this week and pics of my trout and campsite when i return Sunday...

I don't anticipate any issues and look forward to giving an AAR.....

PSYOP

ps...if anyone wants to join me on the water, i will be fishing the 2 mile trophy trout section on the Res, and we can meet up at Rivers Edge Outfitters with a pre-arranged secret squirrel code...
Sounds great, going to Galax VA. Fiddlers Conv. this weekend...maybe next time you go I'll join you. PM me when you get back about site your staying at, I've been meaning to find some good camping grounds over that way.

Whats license requirement when fishing there, do you need your regular state fishing lic or can you purchase daily permits?

Update:
Looks like the big dummy had the wrong dates for the convention it's next weekend. I'm glad I double checked.....

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds great, going to Galax VA. Fiddlers Conv. this weekend...maybe next time you go I'll join you. PM me when you get back about site your staying at, I've been meaning to find some good camping grounds over that way.

Whats license requirement when fishing there, do you need your regular state fishing lic or can you purchase daily permits?
For Res fishing, a yearly license, then a day fee......no harvesting trout on the trophy section, everywhere else is ok....I understand the most recent storms blew out the hatchery...

I'll send links to the campground i use, and others i saw too.....

Check the Appletree Campground, a national site, used by the Feds looking for Rudolph...they spent big bucks, upfitting it...really nice place, our trout club goes there 2 x year for 4 days...next one coming up in october, i'll be there too.....

Do you have a music cd? I love Applachian/Blue Ridge mountain music....:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think you have posted pics before because I recognized the propane tanks stacked in the back. It might be a good idea to place something in between them (like a sturdy board cut into a square shape) to help even out the weight pressure the upper tank is putting on the lower one. Right now if they shift, a valve could be damaged.

·
Registered
850 Posts
For Res fishing, a yearly license, then a day fee......no harvesting trout on the trophy section, everywhere else is ok....I understand the most recent storms blew out the hatchery...

I'll send links to the campground i use, and others i saw too.....

Check the Appletree Campground, a national site, used by the Feds looking for Rudolph...they spent big bucks, upfitting it...really nice place, our trout club goes there 2 x year for 4 days...next one coming up in october, i'll be there too.......
Thanks

Do you have a music cd? I love Applachian/Blue Ridge mountain music....:)
No I don't, I've just been playing guitar for a short while now. I play traditional old time mountian and Blue Grass rhythm, nothing fancy yet.

My son is competing in the solo guitar competition. He plays the heck out of guitar, a little bit of everything....Blue Grass being his weakest. I'm sure his band has a demo somewhere on-line but you probably wouldn't care for it. Its that heavy head bangin throat screaming kind of music...yuck!

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trunk & Trunk Box Pics

Ok...I have always said i keep my car/trunk clean, organized and ready...

Here are some pics of my trunk, and trunk box...I keep it cabled down as you can see..

I always keep a sleeping pad in here too, mainly for roadside emergencies, as i don't want to kneel/sit on hot asphalt or gravel, etc., if i have to change a tire or something..In addition, i can strap it to my GHB for sleeping/insulation purposes....

Pretty plain trunk, i also keep a box of misc computer parts/equipment too, but took them out for the pics....

I removed the cheap, flimsy fiberboard liner and replaced with 1/2 custom cut plywood so that my stuff doesn't sag, etc...other uses i guess too...

The box contains: extra clothes, boots, undies, socks, hat, bolt cutters, car kit, larger first aid kit, fleece blankie, MRE and TP...:D: some misc stuff too..

I also keep a fire extinguisher, my GHB and 3 litre water jug and a led light...

This is what i will be taking this weekend, in addition to my misc fishing gear...

So, if SHTF while i am traveling, or a simple emergency, I can make it or help others if need be...

This is what i will be living out of fri/sat....

I'll post pics of hooch, and more importantly, the trout caught!

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think you have posted pics before because I recognized the propane tanks stacked in the back. It might be a good idea to place something in between them (like a sturdy board cut into a square shape) to help even out the weight pressure the upper tank is putting on the lower one. Right now if they shift, a valve could be damaged.
I was thinking the same thing. :)

·
Say whaaaaaat!?!?!
645 Posts
Ok...I have always said i keep my car/trunk clean, organized and ready...

Here are some pics of my trunk, and trunk box...I keep it cabled down as you can see..

I always keep a sleeping pad in here too, mainly for roadside emergencies, as i don't want to kneel/sit on hot asphalt or gravel, etc., if i have to change a tire or something..In addition, i can strap it to my GHB for sleeping/insulation purposes....

Pretty plain trunk, i also keep a box of misc computer parts/equipment too, but took them out for the pics....

I removed the cheap, flimsy fiberboard liner and replaced with 1/2 custom cut plywood so that my stuff doesn't sag, etc...other uses i guess too...

The box contains: extra clothes, boots, undies, socks, hat, bolt cutters, car kit, larger first aid kit, fleece blankie, MRE and TP...:D: some misc stuff too..

I also keep a fire extinguisher, my GHB and 3 litre water jug and a led light...

This is what i will be taking this weekend, in addition to my misc fishing gear...

So, if SHTF while i am traveling, or a simple emergency, I can make it or help others if need be...

This is what i will be living out of fri/sat....

I'll post pics of hooch, and more importantly, the trout caught!
I really like that storage box in your trunk. I drive a sedan myself, and this would be perfect for my trunk. What kind of box is it?

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok....made it back ok...No issues...Plans never survive first contact, so here we go...

Stayed at a koa to appease the wife, as i was alone on this trip, normally go with a buddy...

Got in ok, started to set up shelter...small site, worked ok for my needs...

Not quite as primitive as i thought i'd be as you ca nsee from the pics...Still fun, and a good lesson on my GHB and contents...

Initial impressions are:

Replace current bag with a Med ALICE rig, it was a pain in the $%^ to sort thru the three compartments..I like the ALICE pack and external pockets..Having a camelback didn't matter..

Need to carry a larger tarp, if had started to rain, it would have been very cramped...

Need extra aluminum tent pegs for above reasons....I had six, but could have used the extras...

bungee cords worked great....used em the service too, great for hooches...

Wading staff made great tent support, adjustable too...

Eaton portable radio was worthless, no stations at all, any channel...got to resolve that...might be fine in the 'burbs, but not the boonies...

Esbit stove is weak, one sierra cup is tough, due to the fact that it gets hot while boiling water, and impossible to drink out of...Need another solution...I am thinking two canteens and cups...Need a better stove too...

Mainstay rations are great and filling! taste and texture like a lemony Scottish shortbread...great with coffee and h2o...

BK2 was a brute, batoned all my wood, sharp as a razor, little AK-47 folder did fine job on the smaller stuff too...

Can use actual metal utensils vs spork thing..

Volcano Grill was awesome for grilling and fire pit...Had it moved up to my hooch, simply fed a piece of wood in at a time and it was nice..

Hand sanitizer was perfect for starting the ready light briquettes that lost the ability to be lit with one match..I squirted some on, tossed in a match, and viola fire....Guy next to me was amazed...

All in all, nice little one niter..took some lessons, will make some changes, small but important ones for me..

Now, the fishing was awesome....I caught a Golden Trout using a Griffin Sticicator, hit it on the water..My first one, and only trout for Saturday...Fri was a good day on Bunches Crk and Ravens Fork..several rainbows caught...

That's it folks, enjoy the pics and feedback.....

ps...pics were taken using a Fuji Fine Pix XP waterproof/shockproof/etc...

Attachments

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
Spy

Nice review. I like my corn cooked the same way. What no wine glass??? :D:

If you get a bigger tarp, look into these types of adjustable tarp poles. During the summer in AZ you can get afternoon Tstorms that can dump 2+ inches of rain in an hour, so without large tarps covering the table/chuck box you sitting in a tent or the car.

I use a 10x20 or 20x20 tarp strung between trees with 550 cord and then place tennis balls on a few of these
Adjustable tarp poles and use them to lift the center section(s). Keep water from pooling in the center and gives you standing room. If there is a picnic table I may set one the of poles on top of that to get more center height.

Reactions: PSYOP Soldier

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I recently did a similar trip! Takes guts bud, even for a dry-run.
Thank you...it's been an itch, just having it does not make one prepared...Now, if i were in the woods, i probably would have a dug a small hole to the fuel tabs/mini fire..

it was nice just to grab it, tear it open and see what happens..

Next time will be a longer, more primitive trip....It's tough cause when i go fly fishing, i use the car, normally don't hike in to fish...

Little things that make or break it....

So, now i "have," to buy some additional gear..... :D:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts