Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is your GHB packaged?..My family's BOB's are,of course,in high capacity backpacks but,until recently,my GHB was in a military mini-duffle,with handles and a shoulder strap...by design,since it takes an estimated 3 days to tactical walk from one end of my county to the other,my GHB is set up for 4 days basic survival.
I was taking stock,for the 1000th time,of my gear,and decided to see how it would load out in a walk home situation....since I carry 4 guns in my patrol car,2pistols,an 870 12 ga and an M1A 308,Id have my hands full,even with slings in the long guns.....so better late than never I repacked everything in a small backpack.....I went with a tactical patrol pack since not drawing attention in a city isnt an issue and if anyone sees me Im most likely toast regardless of what my pack looks like.
Has anyone else had to rethink their method of load-out,especially in their GHB's?

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,660 Posts
I rethink my BOB/GHB all the time, and I suspect most people here do as well.

Right now I'm trying to come to grips w/ my ammo loadout. I really don't expect to be hiking anywhere, but I'm prepared in case I do. In my BOB I have one box of 9mm ammo, one box of .45ACP ammo.

Together they weigh 4 pounds. Pretty hefty price to pay for 100 rounds of handgun ammo, and my conundrum is that the 9mm is probably fine for most anything I might need it for, but the .45 is my favorite and most accurate handgun. Not that the 9mm is inaccurate, I'm just better w/ the .45.

So do I dump the .45 ammo? I'm probably headed that way. It'll save me probably 2 1/2 pounds, and I'm unlikely to need more than 50 rounds anyway. My main tactic will be to avoid any situation in which I might need to use it, and even if I can't avoid that, a handgun fight isn't likely to require more than a handful of rounds.

I'm not expecting to carry one of my M4s, probably would substitute my Ruger 10/22 takedown. I can take small game with it and as before, if I'm in a fight where I need an M4, I'm probably in deep trouble anyway.

I'm also re-doing the food aspect of my BOB. Recently bought a Kelly Kettle at a great sale, so I'm altering how I expect to cook food and the food I expect to be cooking. Before, ready-to-eat food was the order of the day (DATREX rations, MREs, like that). Now, I'm trending toward Mountain House pouches because they're lightweight and I have an easy way to boil water.

Will this be the last time I redo my BOB? I can't imagine that. :)

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got my first Kelly Kettle just over a year ago...Lg Stainless....spent the last year replacing all my pack stoves with the small stainless version....you have to replan but the Kelly is awesome....they heat MRE's just fine by boiling in a saucepan

·
Registered
7 Posts
What tics me off is that although I live in PA and can carry a firearm (LTCF) I work in Maryland. My GHB can not have a firearm as I travel to MD every day :(

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What tics me off is that although I live in PA and can carry a firearm (LTCF) I work in Maryland. My GHB can not have a firearm as I travel to MD every day :(
"Secret Compartment" in vehicle for pistol.Ive seen a hollow battery tricked out as a 2 battery system with a 357 and a 100 rds inside.Also hollow fender,etc...anything not inside passenger compartment will work....

·
Registered
34,333 Posts
I rethink my BOB/GHB all the time, and I suspect most people here do as well.

Right now I'm trying to come to grips w/ my ammo loadout. I really don't expect to be hiking anywhere, but I'm prepared in case I do. In my BOB I have one box of 9mm ammo, one box of .45ACP ammo.

Together they weigh 4 pounds. Pretty hefty price to pay for 100 rounds of handgun ammo, and my conundrum is that the 9mm is probably fine for most anything I might need it for, but the .45 is my favorite and most accurate handgun. Not that the 9mm is inaccurate, I'm just better w/ the .45.

So do I dump the .45 ammo? I'm probably headed that way. It'll save me probably 2 1/2 pounds, and I'm unlikely to need more than 50 rounds anyway. . :)

Leave the .45 in the bag.

If you ever need to use the bag, leave in the car or dump inan ditch (depending on how fast you leave the car) the ammo your not carrying a gun for.

It would suck to have 9mm ammo, and a .45, or a 9mm and .45 ammo.

I've gone so far as to have an ammo can with .22, 32, 380, 9mm, 40, 45, 7.62x39 etc all in it.
Only a box or equivalent each, but it assures I can load just about any common gun I happen to have in the truck.

I have absolutely no intention of carrying that ammo can should I have to walk away from the truck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In my GH/EDC bag I usually keep my .45 with 2 extra reloads, in a blackhawk level 2 Serpa, with a spare box of ammo. In our BOB I keep 100 rounds for each pistol we have. My .45ACP, and my Uberti SA in .22 Mag, as well as my fiancee's SR9c, PK380, and SR22. Also keep 100 rounds for my SKS 10 rounds of 00 Buck, and will be adding 100 rounds for my AR (not sure if it'll replace or be in addition to the SKS ammo).

Back to the GHB, I also keep a small lockback, a fixed blade, FAK, steel water bottle, a few protein bars, some 550 cord and a number of differnt ways to start a fire as well as a sharpener for the knives and a small cabela's multitool. I'm sure there are a couple of things I either forgot to mention or have overlooked in packing my bag...... Need a shelter and probably a mylar blanket or two........

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,429 Posts
Small pack with a 100 ounce Camelback. I carry a fire kit, 2 mags for the Beretta, a decent first aid kit and some food to get me home. I'm 55 miles from home at work, and I think it might take 3 days if I had to walk, being careful. I have a couple "stops" along the way. Clean socks, a flashlight and a tarp. I also carry a set of Helley Hanson rain gear and a separate bag for spare ammo for the "big boy".

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,660 Posts
Leave the .45 in the bag.

If you ever need to use the bag, leave in the car or dump inan ditch (depending on how fast you leave the car) the ammo your not carrying a gun for.

It would suck to have 9mm ammo, and a .45, or a 9mm and .45 ammo.

I've gone so far as to have an ammo can with .22, 32, 380, 9mm, 40, 45, 7.62x39 etc all in it.
Only a box or equivalent each, but it assures I can load just about any common gun I happen to have in the truck.

I have absolutely no intention of carrying that ammo can should I have to walk away from the truck.
I've been thinking about this for a couple days since you wrote it. I finally figured out what was bugging me about it, and it's where I store that ammo in my BOB: in the bottom of the bag.

That means dumping it is hard, as I have to dig it out.

Took me two days to figure out I should put it where it's easy to get at, and thus, get rid of. :)

Reactions: Nomad 2nd

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I keep my ammo in the outside pouch of my GHB, plus 2 extra mags (in addition to the one on my belt and one in the gun). That way it is easy to access. I have a hidden compartment in my BOV that I keep my AR in plus 200 rds for it (some in Mags). If I had to foot it I would take the GHB, AR and at least the full mags to get home with (35 miles from work to home). I do have a spot about halfway where I have some water, rats, and ammo, plus another weapon stored.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I rethink my GHB all the time. I travel 120ish miles from my home a couple times a week, so I recognize that I may have a very, very long walk.

One thing I do is keep a bicycle and motorcycle kinda-sorta near where I go; it may be easier to walk 10 miles, get the bike, then travel 120 miles instead of walking 110.

Back on the GHB. I realize that there are only a couple of things that would cause me to leave my vehicle behind in a hurry. In almost every scenario other than a vehicle fire, I figure the odds are that I will have at LEAST a minute or two. Surely I can think of scenarios where I will only have seconds but they're so much less likely than the scenarios where I'll have minutes or hours to leave my vehicle.

So many scenarios require specialized equipment to survive. Given that I'm likely to have a little time to leave my truck I have more than one bag. I have an essentials backpack that has the basics, and to that I'll add things from the other bags depending on the scenario. I have gas masks that I won't take for a blizzard/emp that I would take in an NBC scenario. In a blizzard I'm likely going to take the little shovel that I'd leave behind if I were escaping riots.

I can always take the essentials bag and go if I have to, but I haven't found a way to have everything covered by only one bag. Add to this that I may have two kids with me, and while they have their own bags they have to be made as light as possible, and that's so scenario dependent.

And distance/time of day dependent too.

Maybe that's because I'm a prepper, not a back-woods survivalist who can trap squirrels with nothing more than her pocket knife and a q-tip?

·
Humble Coffee Maker
2,190 Posts
A GHB in my opinion should be as light as possible because you are going to be on foot more than likely. Tailor it of course to your terrain, weather and distance but keep it light and simple. Shelter, water, minimal food, a sidearm, breakdown .22(not neccessary imho but doable), IFAK, compass, maps of area, water filtration, shelter, and fire starting material and you are GTG. MY GHB weighs 12.5 lbs and I can hump it ALL day over any terrain. I would be able to move quickly and cover ground efficiently. Think about if you are far away and shtf pops off....your family is stranded at home and you are trying to get to them amid the chaos. You want to be loaded down camping everynight or lightweight moving fast to get home?.....thats where I come out on the subject.

·
Humble Coffee Maker
2,190 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a couple days since you wrote it. I finally figured out what was bugging me about it, and it's where I store that ammo in my BOB: in the bottom of the bag.

That means dumping it is hard, as I have to dig it out.

Took me two days to figure out I should put it where it's easy to get at, and thus, get rid of. :)
You always want to put your heavier items at the top of your bag anyways to help weight distribution. I learned this after humping thousands of miles in the army over the years. You can cinch your bag down and let the weight ride on your shoulders than hanging down log essentially dragging you down and backwards. If the ammo is your lightest thing...then oh well lol that sucks. Just some advice from a grunt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts