Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling keeping up with where I've been, what I've read...so what's the best way to get through the posts? Is it easiest to go to "new posts" first?

Also...is there a "best way to begin" gathering supplies? A list perhaps? It seems like there is sooooo much that we need and I really don't know where to start? Seems like we should start getting supplies (protection), household (tools) as well as food...but it hard to decide what to get "this week." If there is a post for this already...feel free to direct me.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm not sure if there is a post on what to get when but I would suggest starting with shelter food and water. If you plan on making a go of it in the outdoors then a quality tent or the means and knowledge to make a permanent shelter will be needed. If you plan to stay put indoors then methods to cook and deal with waste/sanitation without electricity may need some attention.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
I would use search for the topic you need to research.
I suggest starting with a classic 72 hour emergency kit.
Start a water storage plan.
Get a Glock 19 and plenty of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P or Federal Hydra Shock 124gr +P.
It's important to have protection asap.
You can research guns and add other weapons later but, you can't go wrong with this classic 9mm.
Look at Jerry D. Young's post for gear. He is hands down the most knowledgeable when it comes to gear. :thumb:
Then start a long term food storage plan.
That's my 2 cents.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Kellinga,

Hi from a southern neighbor. One thing to look at is your location. You are in the largest of Ga. cities. so, do you plan on staying put or bugging to a more secure/secluded location?

If you have a bug out location, plan to store most of your supplies there. If you have access to water there, another major triumph, as you wouldn't need to store as much where you are at! Just enough to get you by til you can get to your location...the same with food, protection, etc.

I personally already had a couple rifles/pistols. Just added ammo when It was on sale, and hit the specials hard on canned goods. When I got a few months of food/water, I zigged zagged back to more camping gear and ammo/extra gun. then split the rest after that on food/water/extra gas.

Just how I am doing it. Hope it helps. I'd hate to see someone who is awake get caught in a potential hot spot like atlanta if things go south! :)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually a little north of atl. We have a tentative plan for me and the kids to leave if something happens while hubby's at work. If he's there, he's at the CDC and he'd probably be forced to stay (protected in a tunnel I'm sure). I would NOT be comfortable staying in the house by myself. Have some friends with a little acreage, they know I'd try to get to them, about 20-30 minutes from me. I'm also apprehensive of taking our stuff there in case I can't get there. That's why this all seems so crazy...just not knowing what to do...or not having complete peace about it. Does that make sense?

Oh...thanks for the heads up on the Jerry's plan - will take a look at that. And thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Kellinga,

I am also new and find it difficult to know where. I have begun to use the search feature in an effort to reduce any duplication. So far I find it is very helpful in finding information. If I can recommend checking out the book section. You should always have some good literature on hand. I have the SAS book in my bug out bag (BOB), but many other books around the house.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Kellinga,

I am also new and find it difficult to know where. I have begun to use the search feature in an effort to reduce any duplication. So far I find it is very helpful in finding information. If I can recommend checking out the book section. You should always have some good literature on hand. I have the SAS book in my bug out bag (BOB), but many other books around the house.

Good Luck.
DEFINATELY need books. I've started checking out some from library (figure if something happens they won't care if I don't return them!) But I've started looking at goodwill and thrift stores for cooking (old stuff, using all scratch, not something I have to crush oreo's for), canning, building berms, medicinal herbs, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts