Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a great source for free 5-gallon buckets, loads & loads of them. They previously held orange drink, fruit drink, etc.

Problem is, the buckets now reek of a very strong super-sugary stench! Not a bad smell mind you, but I don't want all our grains & beans smelling like kool-aid.

Any ideas on what we can do to get rid of the smell?

Last night I tried covering the bottom of a bucket with bleach and filling to the top with water. Came back tonight, didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I thought next I might try filling with dirt and leaving for a few days to try absorbing the smell.

Any ideas or hands-on experience with such a task?

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Sodium bicarbonate is the usual method... dump a couple of cups per bucket, fill with water and let the soak a couple of days or more.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
the sodium bicarbonate i.e. baking soda should work great or you can use food grade hydrogen peroxcide. if you use the baking soda route then save the baking soda cause you can't buy it in a teotwawki setting

·
Cover your Six!!
450 Posts
Whats even cheaper and easier, fill the bucket with hot water, add in 5 teaspoons of bleach, let soak overnight and washout with soap and water.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Years ago the Tupperware demonstrators told us to put crumbled newspaper (no color print) into foul-smelling bowls and cover tightly. The carbon was supposed to absorb the smells. It's worth a try.

Have you tried just leaving them outside in bright sunlight for a day? I find my plastic milk containers lose their hint of milk when I do this after a thorough wash and hot water rinse.

·
Registered
772 Posts
All my buckets smell like cake icing since I get them all from the bakeries at stores. I don't worry about ti too much since I pack all of my stuff in Mylar bags with O2 absorbers.

Speaking of which, these people waking up to being prepared is putting a crimp in my bucket collections. I am now competing with someone else for buckets and they keep beating me to the punch! i am down to 3 buckets now.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Won't the Mylar bags protect against this odor affecting your food?

·
Registered
843 Posts
In the past I have made a paste with vanilla extract and baking soda to get smells out of plastic. Scrubbed it on, let it sit overnight, then scrubbed it off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Three days in the sun filled with bleach & water. Stirr occasionally.
Three days in the sun with Baking soda & water. Stirr occasionally.

If it still stinks- use it for something else. Buckets are EVERYWHERE!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts