Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This stuff is driving me crazy. It's like people are hoping something is going to happen. The shtf is no more likely that 2013 or 2050 or whenever. Any little stirring of possible trouble is being linked to 2012 with no real basis.
The only 100% accurate predictions are in the Bible and even that doesn't give dates.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I understand how you feel, I felt much the same way when the dreaded Swine Flu broke out in Mexico....

2012 is a general guideline to me, too much happening in the world to think (IMO) that there is an equal chance of the world ending sooner as well as later. I think that if we can get through the next 3-6 years then world tensions will go down (hopefully). Even if thats not the case, 2012 will have passed, BHO will not be president anymore, and the sunspots will have died down.

After lowerng the alert level from 9.5 to 5ish around that point, I think that I will feel that all my preps will have served me well (if SHTF) and if not, Im saving on my groceries by buying bulk... :D:

Better to be safe than sorry, even if its a bunch of doom and gloom

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
This stuff is driving me crazy. It's like people are hoping something is going to happen. The shtf is no more likely that 2013 or 2050 or whenever. Any little stirring of possible trouble is being linked to 2012 with no real basis.
The only 100% accurate predictions are in the Bible and even that doesn't give dates.
I don't mean to flame or criticize you, but IMO, your statement is the epitomy of contradictory irony.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
On December 21, 2012 the galactic center, earth, and the sun will be in alignment. It is quite the rare occurrence - once every 25,800 years. There is a 100% chance this will happen unless the earth, sun, and/or galaxy disappear between now and then.

Many of the "dire" predictions revolve around other types of natural occurrences that could happen because of this alignment, i.e.: Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, solar storms, axis tilt, etc., due to the gravitational forces that could be involved. Will any of it happen? Who knows. If it does happen, is there anything that we can do to stop it? No.

Here is a little science and history on the subject: http://www.viewzone.com/endtime.html

Of course there is also the problem of freaks coming out of the woodwork during a full moon. Can you imagine the freaks that could come out during a galactic alignment? Now that is scary.

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
On December 21, 2012 the galactic center, earth, and the sun will be in alignment. It is quite the rare occurrence - once every 25,800 years.
EDIT: Okay, I see from the article they are talking about all the planets aligning and some other mumbo jumbo so my post below only refers to three celestial objects. Still don't buy it however.

Wait....doesn't the alignment of the Earth, Sun, and Galactic Center happen twice every year? If you take two points, the Sun and the GC and draw a line it shows the Sun is always pointed at the GC. Now take a revolving object around the Sun, the Earth, and it should cross that line TWICE. Once when the Earth is between the GC and Sun and once when the GC and once when the Sun is between the Earth and GC.

And why would the magnetic pull of the GC be any significantly greater to cause earthquakes and such. The mass of the Earth and the Sun is so insignificant.

Maybe I'm missing something here so elaborate for me. Or by Galactic Center you don't mean the Milky Way galaxy where our planet resides but rather the Universe? (which we haven't found the 'center' of yet to my knowledge)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Wait....doesn't the alignment of the Earth, Sun, and Galactic Center happen twice every year? If you take two points, the Sun and the GC and draw a line it shows the Sun is always pointed at the GC. Now take a revolving object around the Sun, the Earth, and it should cross that line TWICE. Once when the Earth is between the GC and Sun and once when the GC and once when the Sun is between the Earth and GC.

And why would the magnetic pull of the GC be any significantly greater to cause earthquakes and such. The mass of the Earth and the Sun is so insignificant.

Maybe I'm missing something here so elaborate for me. Or by Galactic Center you don't mean the Milky Way galaxy where our planet resides but rather the Universe? (which we haven't found the 'center' of yet to my knowledge)
Because of the wobble of the earth, it is never in an exact alignment. on 12/21/2010 the wobble will have completed its full cycle thus completing the alignment. It is the wobble of the earth on its axis that takes 26,000 years.

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
Because of the wobble of the earth, it is never in an exact alignment. on 12/21/2010 the wobble will have completed its full cycle thus completing the alignment. It is the wobble of the earth on its axis that takes 26,000 years.
Okay, the Wobble is a well known fact but how does the insignificant mass of the Earth make such a huge difference in the scheme of things? Anyone taken into account the Moon in all this or to I assume that it is in alignment as well? And the rocks in the Asteroid Belt?

·
Registered
360 Posts
clearly you don't know what you are even asking about, so Im just dismissing you as a troll at this point.... do a little research on your own if you are actually interested, and then come back and ask some real questions, da?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does the galactic alignments have to do with anything. If the scientists didn't tell us it was happening nobody would know. Stupid scientists

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
clearly you don't know what you are even asking about, so Im just dismissing you as a troll at this point.... do a little research on your own if you are actually interested, and then come back and ask some real questions, da?
Nyet, I'm not a troll. Not even close.

I'm attempting to gain some knowledge by asking some questions. I am doing research on what you have posted hence the questions. I even read the article SMM123 posted the link for.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Okay, the Wobble is a well known fact but how does the insignificant mass of the Earth make such a huge difference in the scheme of things? Anyone taken into account the Moon in all this or to I assume that it is in alignment as well? And the rocks in the Asteroid Belt?

Most conventional scientists believe that the alignment will produce almost zero noticeable effects. A few believe otherwise. You'll have to make up your own mind.

Personally, I prefer not to be overly worried about something over which I have no control whatsoever. I'll be as prepared as I can be, for any eventuality, and let things sort themselves out.

In other words, I'll control the things I can control, and let everything else take a flying **** at me.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nyet, I'm not a troll. Not even close.

I'm attempting to gain some knowledge by asking some questions. I am doing research on what you have posted hence the questions. I even read the article SMM123 posted the link for.
Well, to be honest, I didn't think you were a troll either, I could feel the sarcasm dripping from your questions is all. :)

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I find them delightfully entertaining and a possible insight to some ones thinking. Should I be bored of them I skip them and go to something else. I do have that power :)

"Rumor travels faster, but it don't stay put as long as truth."
Will Rogers

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
The alignments in question deal with "planes of alignment" in which the earth, sun, and galactic center all reside along the exact same plane at the exact same time.

Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, our lives, our planet, our solar system, our galaxy, and our universe is ruled by magnetism. Magnetism is one of the main reasons that life on earth exists. Our core creates a very powerful magnetic field that protects the earth from the powerful solar winds.

The mass of the Earth and the Sun is so insignificant.
As compared to what. The sun pulls on the earth in a significant way. The earth pulls on the moon in a significant way. The galaxy and it's rotating mass pulls upon our entire solar system in a significant way. It is already known that gravitational forces cause some of the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. It is known that solar winds push on our magnetic field causing disruptions and bulges which affect the earth's crust and magnetic core.

In reality, it is not the gravitational forces of the the earth and sun that are the concern, it is the gravitational forces of the galaxy exerting force upon one side of the earth, while the sun and other planets exert force on the other side.

It is known that the poles wander and reverse. Pole reversals have happened thousands of times throughout the history of earth, yet not during any documented time in human history. The earth has also been known to tilt upon its axis going from full vertical to full horizontal and everything in between, yet not during human documented times.

A substantial pole shift or reversal, or a change in the tilt of the earth could have dire consequences. If the earth were to get 5 more degrees of tilt, it would change the climate substantially around the earth. The Northern hemisphere would become solid ice (think permanent Ice Age) and the southern hemisphere would become a desert in many places. If the poles suddenly shifted, we could temporarily be exposed to the suns power without any place to hide as the magnetic field that protects us would weaken or disappear temporarily.

Could this happen? Sure. Will it happen? Who knows. Again, I say there is not a damn thing you could do about it. It is just not worth worrying about.

What does the galactic alignments have to do with anything. If the scientists didn't tell us it was happening nobody would know. Stupid scientists
Scientists? This was confirmed by the Mayans long before there was such a thing as scientists. History shows that most cultures (long before modern western cultures) were in tune with the earth and the heavens. They oriented their cities and lives around the sun and stars. They made amazingly accurate calendars without the aid of computers, calculators, or paper and pencils. You're right - stupid scientists didn't acknowledge ancient peoples that already figured this stuff out centuries ago.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
It's nonsense.... That said, it is a measure of how many people would rather believe in really bad fiction than the world around them. Mayans. Planet X....The folks who crank the 2012 garbage out are banking the money and planning to be here a long time after that. The sellers of doom and gloom are buying houses, having kids, putting money away for education et cetera. They certainly are expecting a normal life after 2012.

Now, can it be a hard year with a contested presidential election? Absolutely but that is a different cauldron of effluvia.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
On December 21, 2012 the galactic center, earth, and the sun will be in alignment. It is quite the rare occurrence - once every 25,800 years. There is a 100% chance this will happen unless the earth, sun, and/or galaxy disappear between now and then.
Can you point us to a link for a bonifide scientific organization saying this will happen please>

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
Can you point us to a link for a bonifide scientific organization saying this will happen please>
No, it is difficult to wade through the 12,000,000 links for 2012 dooms day crap to get to the science stuff.

I just remember from science class it was called a Platonic Year which is about 25,800 years, but is not precise because over time the rate of precession changes. I think it is also called a great year.

People use it to predict whatever dire consequences they want - planet X, wars, famine, end times, etc.

Whatever. To each his own. I don't know what is going to happen, and certainly cannot stop whatever it may or may not be. Most people seem to smokin' too much crack when it comes to the 2012 stuff.

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,268 Posts
February 15, 2001 -- You can't tell by looking, but scientists say the Sun has just undergone an important change. Our star's magnetic field has flipped.

The Sun's magnetic north pole, which was in the northern hemisphere just a few months ago, now points south. It's a topsy-turvy situation, but not an unexpected one.

"This always happens around the time of solar maximum," says David Hathaway, a solar physicist at the Marshall Space Flight Center. "The magnetic poles exchange places at the peak of the sunspot cycle. In fact, it's a good indication that Solar Max is really here."

subscription image
Above: Sunspot counts, plotted here against an x-ray image of the Sun, are nearing their maximum for the current solar cycle. [more information]

The Sun's magnetic poles will remain as they are now, with the north magnetic pole pointing through the Sun's southern hemisphere, until the year 2012 when they will reverse again. This transition happens, as far as we know, at the peak of every 11-year sunspot cycle -- like clockwork.

Earth’s magnetic field also flips, but with less regularity. Consecutive reversals are spaced 5 thousand years to 50 million years apart. The last reversal happened 740,000 years ago. Some researchers think our planet is overdue for another one, but nobody knows exactly when the next reversal might occur.
more here: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast15feb_1.htm

This is what the calendar looks like on the 21st of Dec 2012

In the name of Ixtab Ruuuuunnnnnnn!!!!! No wait grab a rope. :rofl:

Attachments

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
The alignments in question deal with "planes of alignment" in which the earth, sun, and galactic center all reside along the exact same plane at the exact same time.

Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, our lives, our planet, our solar system, our galaxy, and our universe is ruled by magnetism. Magnetism is one of the main reasons that life on earth exists. Our core creates a very powerful magnetic field that protects the earth from the powerful solar winds.

As compared to what. The sun pulls on the earth in a significant way. The earth pulls on the moon in a significant way. The galaxy and it's rotating mass pulls upon our entire solar system in a significant way. It is already known that gravitational forces cause some of the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. It is known that solar winds push on our magnetic field causing disruptions and bulges which affect the earth's crust and magnetic core.

In reality, it is not the gravitational forces of the the earth and sun that are the concern, it is the gravitational forces of the galaxy exerting force upon one side of the earth, while the sun and other planets exert force on the other side.

It is known that the poles wander and reverse. Pole reversals have happened thousands of times throughout the history of earth, yet not during any documented time in human history. The earth has also been known to tilt upon its axis going from full vertical to full horizontal and everything in between, yet not during human documented times.

A substantial pole shift or reversal, or a change in the tilt of the earth could have dire consequences. If the earth were to get 5 more degrees of tilt, it would change the climate substantially around the earth. The Northern hemisphere would become solid ice (think permanent Ice Age) and the southern hemisphere would become a desert in many places. If the poles suddenly shifted, we could temporarily be exposed to the suns power without any place to hide as the magnetic field that protects us would weaken or disappear temporarily.

Could this happen? Sure. Will it happen? Who knows. Again, I say there is not a damn thing you could do about it. It is just not worth worrying about.

Scientists? This was confirmed by the Mayans long before there was such a thing as scientists. History shows that most cultures (long before modern western cultures) were in tune with the earth and the heavens. They oriented their cities and lives around the sun and stars. They made amazingly accurate calendars without the aid of computers, calculators, or paper and pencils. You're right - stupid scientists didn't acknowledge ancient peoples that already figured this stuff out centuries ago.
Do us a favor. On Dec 22 2012 mail us all a mia culpa.

I will agree that ancient man (since 40,000 BC) was no different than us as far as intellect et cetera. I will agree he was not a brute though parts of his life were brutal. And they did watch the stars, but they were not astronomical. We know there are stars. They did not. We know it is a solar system. They did not. We know there are planets. They did not. We know our physics is the same out there as it is here. They did not. What separates us from the Mayans is not what we both saw but what we know they didn't know.

They only saw lights at night. "Astronomical" was not a concept in their head. They only saw relationships between lights at night. That simple observation was not beyond their simple math. They were not thinking universe, or planets or solar system. It was just lights at night.

They didn't "work it all out" because they barely knew anything. They did not create a unified notion of the universe et cetera. They didn't work out alignments or even planets. They just described their night sky, and for that you don't need to know anything you can't see.

The error (or the slyness of writers to make a buck) is to ascribe to ancients modern knowledge and then say "oh, there were so far ahead of us." In reality, they are way behind us.

It would be like saying Greek doctors in 500 BC knew about germs and worked out ways to avoid illness. No, germ theory didn't come along until just over a century ago, and doctors resisted it strongly. The ancient Greeks learned by not doing X they got sick less, such as not touching lepers. That is not having ancient germ theory knowledge and practice. That's just avoiding something that observation has told you ends in sickness.

Yet, folks do exactly the same thing with the Mayans. Folks say they knew about solar systems and the universe and the like. No, they saw lights at night. That is all. They didn't even put the lights out there, but just above them a little ways. And that is exactly what we would expect from an ignorant, primitive culture.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
Do us a favor. On Dec 22 2012 mail us all a mia culpa.
A mia culpa for what?

I will agree that ancient man (since 40,000 BC) was no different than us as far as intellect et cetera. I will agree he was not a brute though parts of his life were brutal. And they did watch the stars, but they were not astronomical. We know there are stars. They did not. We know it is a solar system. They did not. We know there are planets. They did not. We know our physics is the same out there as it is here. They did not. What separates us from the Mayans is not what we both saw but what we know they didn't know.

They only saw lights at night. "Astronomical" was not a concept in their head. They only saw relationships between lights at night. That simple observation was not beyond their simple math. They were not thinking universe, or planets or solar system. It was just lights at night.

They didn't "work it all out" because they barely knew anything. They did not create a unified notion of the universe et cetera. They didn't work out alignments or even planets. They just described their night sky, and for that you don't need to know anything you can't see.

The error (or the slyness of writers to make a buck) is to ascribe to ancients modern knowledge and then say "oh, there were so far ahead of us." In reality, they are way behind us.

It would be like saying Greek doctors in 500 BC knew about germs and worked out ways to avoid illness. No, germ theory didn't come along until just over a century ago, and doctors resisted it strongly. The ancient Greeks learned by not doing X they got sick less, such as not touching lepers. That is not having ancient germ theory knowledge and practice. That's just avoiding something that observation has told you ends in sickness.

Yet, folks do exactly the same thing with the Mayans. Folks say they knew about solar systems and the universe and the like. No, they saw lights at night. That is all. They didn't even put the lights out there, but just above them a little ways. And that is exactly what we would expect from an ignorant, primitive culture.
Huh?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts